Alan DeAtley: The direct approach to habeas corpus relief

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Alan DeAtley: The direct approach to habeas corpus relief

Post by KickahaOta »

The State of Colorado is most definitely peeved at Alan DeAtley -- a total of 83 years' worth of "peeved" on tax fraud charges. This is undoubtedly an interesting story, which you will not be reading about in this post.

Fast-forward to the federal courts, where Mr. DeAtley filed a habeas corpus petition. At first, the Tenth Circuit's opinion concerning the matter is rather dry and boilerplate. But on Page 2, we start to see the first sign of woo bubbling out:
Mr. DeAtley initiated this proceeding by filing a pro se § 2254 application in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. That court transferred the application to the District of Colorado, where a magistrate judge ordered Mr. DeAtley to file his application on the proper forms. Mr. DeAtley did so, but the magistrate judge then found that Mr. DeAtley’s § 2254 application and its attached 45-page statement failed to comply with Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 8(a), which calls for “a short and plain statement of the claim.” Fed. R. Civ. P. 8(a)(2). The magistrate judge ordered Mr. DeAtley to file a compliant § 2254 application. In response, Mr. DeAtley filed an amended application. The magistrate judge, “unable to decipher what federal constitutional violations Applicant is attempting to challenge,” ROA at 279, recommended dismissal of the action without prejudice under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 41(b). Mr. DeAtley objected to the recommendation and filed another amended application. The district court, noting that “neither the Objection nor the Amended Application are intelligible,” id. at 357, adopted the recommendation, dismissed the action without prejudice for failure to comply with a court order and failure to prosecute, denied ifp status on appeal, denied a COA, entered judgment, and denied a motion for reconsideration.
On Page 4, we see the nature of the conflict:
Mr. DeAtley’s fourth (and most recent) § 2254 application alleges the State of Colorado lacks jurisdiction over him as a tribal member who has been granted habeas relief by a tribal court.
Interesting! Will this be a genuine dispute, a test of the delicate balance among the recognized tribal courts and the state and federal judiciaries? Will it be a genuine but unrecognized Native American band trying to assert its authority? Or will it be a group of loons?

The nature of the matter is revealed in a footnote.
Although we limit our review to the procedural issue and do not address the
merits of Mr. DeAtley’s claims, we note that Mr. DeAtley contends that the
“Latgawa Indian Tribal Justice Court” has awarded him habeas relief and that the
federal court must honor this ruling.
Okay. Based on the only article I can find about the Latgawa, it's unclear whether we're on the "genuine but unrecognized Native American Band" track or the "group of loons" track. The article's statement that 'about 400 people are members of the tribe, including 30 that have direct blood ties to the Latgawa', might steer us toward the latter option -- 30 out of 400 seems like a rather... loose tribal membership. And the rather snide comments from the federally-recognized Siletz tribe are notable as well. But ultimately this is a side issue, so let's continue the footnote and reach the finale:
Although we limit our review to the procedural issue and do not address the merits of Mr. DeAtley’s claims, we note that Mr. DeAtley contends that the “Latgawa Indian Tribal Justice Court” has awarded him habeas relief and that the federal court must honor this ruling. ROA at 75, 290-91. The tribal judge who awarded relief and signed the order was Mr. DeAtley. For example, attached to his first § 2254 application is an “Order” finding that “Alan E. De Atley Tribal Special Counsel, Tribal Judge appointed for life by Chief Judge Newkirk must be released within 1 hours [sic] the same day this has been delivered to any State of Colorado employee.” Id. at 75 (emphasis added). Then it says, Mr. “De Atley must be released this day within 1 hour of this Tribal Courts Order [sic].” Id. The order was signed by “Alan E. De Atley Tribal Special Counsel, Tribal Judge.” Id. at 77 (emphasis added). Similar documents from the “Latgawa Indian Tribal Justice Court” and signed by Mr. DeAtley as the tribal judge were attached to his § 2254 applications in this case. See, e.g., id. at 78-94, 121-37, 139-41.
So Mr. DeAtley tried himself, pronounced himself innocent, ordered himself freed, and demanded that Colorado immediately honor his order. A more efficient approach to habeas relief could hardly be imagined.

Sadly for Mr. DeAtley, this streamlined approach has thus far proven ineffective. And given that he is currently 63 years of age, and that his parole eligibility date is May 17, 2056, it appears that Mr. DeAtley will spend the remainder of his life dispensing tribal justice from the confines of the Colorado corrections system.
Last edited by wserra on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Alan DeAtley: The direct approach to habeas corpus relief

Post by notorial dissent »

So a non-recognized (pretend?) tribe in Oregon with a "Special Counsel and Tribal Judge" who are one and the same person, issued a "habeas corpus" to himself over a Colorado tax matter????????? Sounds like a Pop-A-Squat special to me. Duck analogy in action.

Just as a side you really have to work at it to get an 83 year sentence for state tax matters, you really have to work at it to get there.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
TBL

Post by TBL »

Now I'm just dying to read the original trial specifics that got over 80 years on a state tax case? That's a ton of evasion if it is evasion.
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Unfortunately Colorado doesn't make their court files available on the court's own web site, and I wasn't curious enough to pay a third party. But here are some details that might satisfy and/or heighten your curiosity.
  • The habeas corpus petition is here. It includes around 70 pages of exhibits with varying degrees of lunacy.
  • It was received by the D.C. district court clerk on April 1 2019. The date is an ill omen, as is the fact that he mailed it to the wrong court -- since he's in Colorado, the Colorado district court has to handle it.
  • He has apparently not heard of the concept of paragraphs, or perhaps he thinks that paragraph breaks are a cunning plot to break his claim to sovereignty.
  • There are a bunch of letters to and from the Colorado Board of Real Estate Appraisers, which apparently sued him.
  • The "Latgawa Indian Tribal Justice Court Clerk's Office" uses six-digit serial numbers for filings. They must do booming business!
  • There are several letters concerning oil and gas development.
  • Page 37 of the PDF is where things get interesting, since it apparently shows the results of the criminal case:
    • Count 1: Racketeering in violation of Colorado Organized Crime Control Act. Sentence: 16 years.
    • Counts 2, 5, 6: "Theft/Series - $20,000 or More". Sentences: 6 years, 10 years, 10 years.
    • Count 3: Forgery of a check/commercial instrument - "CSP" (whatever that means). No sentence (consolidated with count 2).
    • Count 4: Theft - $15,000 or more. Sentence: 10 years.
    • Counts 7 through 21: Forgery of a check/commercial instrument. Sentences: 2 years for each count.
    • Count 24: Tax evasion. Sentence: 1 year.
    • All sentences to be served consecutively. There's where the "ouch" comes in.
    • And a monetary penalty (unsure whether it's a fine or restitution or both) of exactly $5,393,711.21.
    • He was not convicted on three additional counts of tax evasion. Big win!
  • Page 42 of the PDF is where the indictment starts, which you can read for details of the crimes.
  • The forgery counts appear to involve IRS Forms 8283 (Noncash Charitable Contributions) and associated valuation letters and appraisals for conservation easements.
  • The thrust of the scheme appears to be generating millions of dollars in conservation credits from property worth much less, by subdividing the property, producing inflated appraisals, and using shell companies to claim excessive conservation easement values on the small plots.
  • Page 72 of the PDF is the self-generated 'tribal' writ of habeas corpus. It also grants Mr. De Atley $500,000 and free use of a helicopter.
TBL

Post by TBL »

KickahaOta wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:07 pm ..
  • The habeas corpus petition is here. It includes around 70 pages of exhibits with varying degrees of lunacy.
Holy wall of text, Batman!
TBL

Post by TBL »

I'm only some of the way through this garbage and already it's a poster-child for "never type angry". It was obviously typed once, but all the hand-written addendum and gross errors make me cringe. Why didn't he correct and reprint?
notorial dissent

DeAtley was a very busy and naughty boy. He came up with a new and novel approach to stealing from the gov't, in this case Colorado, conservation easements. He either sold easements he didn't own, or oversold ones he did. At least 20 families got taken for a merry ride through all this. A bad time was had by all. He's also nuts, but that is a story for another time.

He was convicted Feb 22, 2016 on 22 charges, amongst them forgery, theft and tax evasion(1yr), along with an organized time that got him 16 years right off the bat, and was ordered to pay $6.9 million in restitution and fines. It went downhill from there for him.

DonDivaGlobal
Denver Post 1
Denver Post 2

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
khmacdowell
Swabby
Swabby

Post by khmacdowell »

KickahaOta wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm The State of Colorado is most definitely peeved at Alan DeAtley -- a total of 83 years' worth of "peeved" on tax fraud charges. This is undoubtedly an interesting story, which you will not be reading about in this post.
A Denver judge on Thursday sentenced an Oregon man to 83 years in prison for swindling millions of dollars from Colorado taxpayers who bought into his scheme that exploited the state’s flawed conservation easement program.

Looking gaunt and pale, Alan DeAtley, 61, showed no emotion as Denver District Judge Martin Egelhoff imposed the sentence at the end of a 2½ -hour hearing, then tagged on $6.9 million in restitution and penalties.

“I perceive you as a financial predator who came into Colorado and spun it for what it was worth,” Egelhoff said.

The premise of the conservation easement program, which started in 2001, was that Colorado promoted land conservation and landowners received a tax break. But critics have long held that the program was rampant with fraud and abuse because there was no state oversight.
I challenge your jurisdiction
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

khmacdowell wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:38 am
KickahaOta wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm The State of Colorado is most definitely peeved at Alan DeAtley -- a total of 83 years' worth of "peeved" on tax fraud charges. This is undoubtedly an interesting story, which you will not be reading about in this post.
A Denver judge on Thursday sentenced an Oregon man to 83 years in prison for swindling millions of dollars from Colorado taxpayers who bought into his scheme that exploited the state’s flawed conservation easement program.

Looking gaunt and pale, Alan DeAtley, 61, showed no emotion as Denver District Judge Martin Egelhoff imposed the sentence at the end of a 2½ -hour hearing, then tagged on $6.9 million in restitution and penalties.

“I perceive you as a financial predator who came into Colorado and spun it for what it was worth,” Egelhoff said.

The premise of the conservation easement program, which started in 2001, was that Colorado promoted land conservation and landowners received a tax break. But critics have long held that the program was rampant with fraud and abuse because there was no state oversight.
I challenge your jurisdiction
DeAtley's attitude could be said to governed by the words (said in the tone of a petulant 8-year-old) "I doan' wanna DO that, an' you can't MAKE me! It's a free country!"
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

As an addendum to this, it appears that DeAtley's acting out spans a good number of years going back to at least 2010 and possibly 2006/08 or earlier. I couldn't get the documents to load properly and will go back to it later. It would appear he was playing the pretend tribe sovcit bit back that far and got in to trouble of some kind with the State of Colorado, their state Real Estate Commission, and something to do with the AG's office.
TBL

Post by TBL »

Still not done reading this drivel, but so far this is my favorite line and tautology...I think?
Pg. 11
"..., The Subject Matter Jurisdiction cannot acquire any Jurisdiction over The Subject Matter Jurisdiction."
(Capitalization in the original)
The beautiful, crazy blend of the capitalization-is-magic, circular thought, and unsupported conclusions-of-fact just makes my mind boggle. It's like digging into someone's mind a finding a jumbled mess of random freeman babble that you can lose yourself in.
notorial dissent

I reached a point where it made my brain hurt and I just couldn't face any more of it..
TBL

Post by TBL »

notorial dissent wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 pm I reached a point where it made my brain hurt and I just couldn't face any more of it..
Momma didn't raise no quitter! No matter how stupid the pursuit, apparently.

EDIT: Woot, 75th post. I've been promoted!
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

I paid for it and skimmed through it to write up that summary. I demand recognition for my poor life choices too!
notorial dissent

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:36 pm I paid for it and skimmed through it to write up that summary. I demand recognition for my poor life choices too!
Well, you've come to the right place. If you're not careful you'll get put to work.
TBL

Post by TBL »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:36 pm I paid for it and skimmed through it to write up that summary. I demand recognition for my poor life choices too!
I bow to your enhanced crazy.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I skimmed the entire thing; and my favorite part is on the very last page, where DeAtley asks the clerk, at the US District Court in Washington, to "Please except this U.S. 1915 + Petition...," and closes with a claim that "they are retaliation against me every day."

People with ten-cent brains should not try to use ten-dollar words.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Well, you must admit that this petition is exceptional.
notorial dissent

Did he miss any of the sovcit BINGO majik wurdz?? That is the important question and did he use the right postage stamp and blood smear?????
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

notorial dissent wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:08 pm Did he miss any of the sovcit BINGO majik wurdz?? That is the important question and did he use the right postage stamp and blood smear?????
I saw no sign of blood. Of course they'd probably try to wipe that off before they ran the petition through the scanner, because I can tell you, cleaning human fluids off the rollers is just nasty.

No postage stamps either, but quite a few official-looking rubber stamps from the alleged tribal court. This is tribal-law-is-superior-to-state-law woo, which has a linguistic patois that's very different from the typical freeman-on-the-land woo.