Recent academic commentary on Sovereign Citizens by Christine Sarteschi

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Re: Recent academic commentary on Sovereign Citizens by Christine Sarteschi

Post by HardyW »

Foggy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 pm I used to have a daydream about having George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and others from our distant past come to life for just a week or a month, with me appointed to show them around and explain what had happened to their little republic they left for us. And it hit me that old George would be terrified of our tech. He never traveled any faster than a horse could carry him. The idea that we could drive in 5 hours from Raleigh, NC to our nation's capital would be impossible for him to conceive. In a month, you couldn't really begin to fully explain all the changes that have occurred in this great land of ours. The world today would simply be unrecognizable.

Except for the common law. That would still be recognizable.

OK, now I gotta get a little more coffee and start moving, or I'm never gonna find a biologist's hat today. 8)
And in your daydream how did you disclose to "old George" the name chosen for the nation's capital? Was his reaction the same as Zefrem Cochrane in Star Trek when he learned how many monuments, streets, schools, colonies bore his name?

And how did Jefferson react to being told that the people who want to attach his name to a State are considered a bunch of ...
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

DNetolitzky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:42 am
Putting on my biologist hat again
Pity you can't put a legal concept on a petri dish and observe its growth patterns.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by noblepa »

Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm
noblepa wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:21 pm ... the late, great author and scientist Arthur C. Clarke summed up your point very well, when he said "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

The sovcits don't understand how the law works, so its all magic to them.
Well, except the law isn't a sufficiently advanced technology, or any kind of technology at all.

Perhaps, like my hero Rudy G., I'm just using normal scrutiny. :roll:
Of course the law is not a form of technology. To paraphrase Clarke, perhaps we should say "Any sufficiently advanced subject is indistinguishable from magic".

My point was, that like technology, many people find the law to be completely incomprehensible. So, to them, it might as well be magic. That is why they seem to think that, if they just say the right "magic" words, the law will do their bidding.
Foggy
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Foggy »

My next daydream involved taking some native AmerIndians from before 1492 to a series of 21st century music concerts. What would be their reaction to hearing modern instruments playing modern music? They might think it was magic, even if they saw humans playing.

Have fun with that one.

Here's Get This Right, by Koven. I think she's singing about Sovereign Citizens. :snooty:

Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.