Sovereign citizen arrested for kidnapping, raping daughter

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Sovereign citizen arrested for kidnapping, raping daught

Post by AndyK »

I like the idea of overnight incarceration in GP and a daytime assignment of walking up and down Main Street wearing a sandwich board: "I raped my daughter"

Unfortunately, the preferred option is no longer available: pillory.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

oldnikki wrote:I like the idea of overnight incarceration in GP and a daytime assignment of walking up and down Main Street wearing a sandwich board: "I raped my daughter"

Unfortunately, the preferred option is no longer available: pillory.
Kinda like the one Die Hard where Bruce Willis had to walk in Harlem? with the board with racial slurs?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

The good times keep rolling for Mr Creepy

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/ ... h-him.html
Although the man who allegedly held a 21-year-old woman captive in a Portage motel is in federal court on kidnapping accusations, he still faces local charges.

Judge Mary Harper did what she could on Tuesday to ensure that Martin J. Jonassen, 55, will come back to Porter County to face two charges of Class C felony confinement and one of misdemeanor battery.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/90270 ... ictim.html
More sanctions against Jonassen for contacting his victim

BY Teresa Auch Schultz
November 23, 2011 2:00PM

Updated: November 24, 2011 2:03AM

A federal judge has ordered a man accused of kidnapping a relative from her home in Missouri and taking her to Portage to stop trying to contact the victim, according to an order filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court in Hammond.

Federal prosecutors asked for the ban Tuesday, saying in a motion that Martin Jonassen repeatedly has called the victim and her family, asking her to sign a statement saying she retracted her statement to police.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/port ... 47597.html
A Kansas man accused of kidnapping his female relative and trying to persuade her to retract statements is fighting an order preventing contact with her and other family members.
Martin J. Jonassen, acting as his own lawyer, fumbled through hearings Wednesday as he learned the legal ropes in arguing against the restraining order.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Jill Koster said Jonassen had spoken to the victim, his sons and wife numerous times asking for the victim to change her statements -- all despite restraining orders in state court.
According to recorded conversations, Jonassen continued asking for the victim to take back her statements after the order was in place, referring to her in code names like "Nicky and Sweebo," the names of her dogs. He offered relatives up to $14,000, property and a mo-ped for help getting the "contract" signed.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

A moped?

Really. That's just pathetic.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Yes.

It won.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Train remains wrecked
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/port ... 96c9d.html
A federal judge on Tuesday refused a Kansas man release from custody while charges alleging he kidnapped a relative are pending, court records show.

U.S. District Court Judge Rudy Lozano denied Martin Jonassen's motion for release, saying there is ample evidence for the case to proceed despite Jonassen's claims to the contrary. Jonassen, 55, sought release from federal custody during a hearing Tuesday.

"It seems that (the) defendant is arguing that because he and (the victim) both purportedly retracted any statements or prior testimony, there is no evidence of the crime, and he should be released," Lozano wrote in an order denying Jonassen's release. "There is much more evidence in this case ... aside from the victim's statements and defendant's statements, and this is not grounds for dismissal of the charges or release from prison."
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

Gregg wrote:A moped?

Really. That's just pathetic.

Oh I don't know. I have fun memories of riding around the island of Saipan on a moped at age 12. Good times. I think I would be tempted to take the moped and then sell this jackass out anyway.
junegarnet

Post by junegarnet »

My family has known this guy for 30 odd years. Most people I know are terrified of him. A doctor friend: 'that guy is a schizo-sociopath - he needs to be locked up with the key thrown away'.

I think he sued the other car involved in the accident that killed his eldest daughter so I think that is where he got the money for all the property (he also tried to raise her from the dead at the funeral). His Michigan property is about 20 miles from where I live and we are all waiting for the police, the feds, ANYBODY to start searching it. He's been bragging in jail that he's murdered people.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

junegarnet wrote: His Michigan property is about 20 miles from where I live and we are all waiting for the police, the feds, ANYBODY to start searching it. He's been bragging in jail that he's murdered people.
Welcome to Quatloos, junegarnet.

Are there any rumors that the property is dangerous if and when law enforcement starts searching?
Demo.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

It must be something like living next door to a rabid dog.

Welcome to Quatloos.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

More:
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff,
v.
MARTIN JONASSEN, Defendant.

Nos. 2:11-cr-163, 2:11-mj-232

United States District Court, N.D. Indiana, Hammond Division.

November 14, 2011.

OPINION AND ORDER

RUDY LOZANO, District Judge.

This matter is before the Court on the: (1) Motion to Dismiss, filed by Defendant, Martin Jonassen, pro se, on October 25, 2011 (DE #14); and (2) "Dismiss Motion," filed by pro se Defendant, Martin Jonassen, on November 8, 2011 (DE #22) For the reasons set forth below, the Motion to Dismiss (DE #14) is DENIED. Additionally, although the second document is entitled "Dismiss Motion," it appears to be Jonassen's reply in support of his original motion, as it contains the same arguments and refers to a case cited by the Government in its response. As such, the Court has considered the arguments made in the "Dismiss Motion" (DE #22), but the motion itself is DENIED AS MOOT.

BACKGROUND

A federal criminal complaint was filed on September 23, 2011, in the Northern District of Indiana, charging Defendant with the felony offenses of kidnapping (in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1201(a)), and attempted obstruction of justice (in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1512(b)(1)). On September 28, 2011, Magistrate Judge Paul R. Cherry ordered the Federal Community Defender's Office to act as stand-by counsel on behalf of Defendant, and attorney Martin filed his appearance on September 29, 2011. On October 19, 2011, Defendant was indicted on the same charges by a federal grand jury.

The instant Motion to Dismiss the indictment was filed on October 25, 2011.[1] It is hand-written, signed by Martin Jonassen, and does not appear to be a product of consultation with stand-by counsel. Because this motion was filed pro se, the Court will liberally construe the claims made by Defendant in the filings. See Hughes v. Rowe, 449 U.S. 5, 9 (1980) (holding pro se claimants to less stringent standards than attorneys).

The Motion to Dismiss argues for dismissal on jurisdictional grounds because Defendant is a "natural person." (DE #14.) Defendant filed a Statement with the Court stating he is "a man of the land born on the soil, sui juris of the Soverign [sic.] Country of Michigan." (DE #8.) Additionally, he argues that the testimony of the alleged victim is "irrevocably tainted and such cannot be entered into evidence." (DE #14.) Jonassen filed another Statement with the Court, arguing the alleged victim's testimony is "tainted hearsay, conjecture/embellishment." (DE #13.)

[ . . . ]

Although Defendant does not specify, his motion to dismiss seems to fall under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 12(b)(3)(B), providing that "the court may hear a claim that the indictment or information fails to invoke the court's jurisdiction or to state an offense." Defendant's argument that he is a "natural person" is unavailing. As the Seventh Circuit has held, "[p]ersonal jurisdiction is supplied by the fact that [defendant] is within the territory of the United States." United States v. Burke, 425 F.3d 400, 408 (7th Cir. 2005). Because Defendant was apprehended in the Northern District of Indiana, arrested, and indicted by a federal grand jury, this Court has jurisdiction.

Similarly, Defendant's claim that he is a person from "the Soverign [sic.] Country of Michigan," also fails.

[ . . . . ]
See:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 55&scilh=0
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

And here's a link to the December 13th decision regarding a temporary restraining order, etc.:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 70&scilh=0
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

A digression.....from the Burke case cited above:
Burke [the defendant] first argues that the district court should have dismissed the indictment because (1) his prosecution for perjury violated the Rule of Specialty contained in the extradition treaty between the United States and England, and (2) the vacatur of his supervised release sentence undermined the basis for his extradition and thus stripped the court of jurisdiction.

[ . . . ]

The jurisdictional argument confuses subject-matter jurisdiction with jurisdiction over the person. Subject-matter jurisdiction is furnished by 18 U.S.C. § 3231, which covers all criminal prosecutions under the United States Code. Personal jurisdiction is supplied by the fact that Burke is within the territory of the United States. Whether he came to this nation in a regular manner does not affect the court's authority to resolve the criminal charges against him.
--from United States v. Burke, 425 F.3d 400 (7th Cir. 2005).

See:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 03&scilh=0
junegarnet

Post by junegarnet »

I haven't heard much about what he has on his property. It looks like a junk yard - I've driven past it many times (thinking dear GOD please don't let my car break down in front of his house). He has a lot of anti-government, end of the world type signs (plywood and spray paint) at the end of his driveway. His daughter is buried on the property.
I have heard a lot of horror stories about him growing up - some that involved my own family. They are pretty unbelievable. I sincerely hope that he doesn't get out - ever.
junegarnet

Post by junegarnet »

Demosthenes wrote:
junegarnet wrote:
Are there any rumors that the property is dangerous if and when law enforcement starts searching?
I haven't heard anything as of yet. I have friends just up the road from there.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

A bit of old news
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/ ... trial.html
Updated: December 24, 2011 6:35PM

Federal prosecutors say there’s no reason to move the trial of a Kansas man accused of kidnapping a relative and taking her to a Portage inn, according to a response filed Friday in the U.S. District Court in Hammond.

Martin Jonassen, who is charged with one count each of kidnapping and obstruction of justice, had asked a federal judge to move his trial because of the large amount of media coverage on his case.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Trial June 4.
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/porte ... abuse.html
Federal prosecutors want to present evidence against a man charged with kidnapping a relative from Missouri and taking her to a Portage motel that would show a history of his abuse to his family, including purposefully causing an accident that killed his oldest daughter.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/port ... 8abcb.html
An attorney asked a U.S. District Court judge Tuesday to order a mental competency evaluation for a Kansas man accused of kidnapping a 21-year-old family member and tying her up in a Portage motel, court records show.
John Martin, appointed as standby counsel for Jonassen, filed the motion for a competency evaluation. He said Jonassen has exhibited disruptive behavior in court and doesn't appear to understand the nature and consequences of the criminal charges pending against him, court records state.