jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Walby - CFC dismisses TP case without waiting for govt answer

Post by jcolvin2 »

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Walby - CFC dismisses TP case without waiting for govt answer

Post by Famspear »

As the Court pointed out in footnote 6, even if Ms. Walby were a non-resident alien as she incorrectly claimed to be (i.e., even if she were neither a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. resident), she would still be subject to U.S. Federal income tax.

Even a non-resident alien who has never been a U.S. citizen and who has never even visited the United States can still be subject to the U.S. Federal income tax.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Ah, the good old tried and true file an income tax issue with a side of sovcit goodness, works every time, EXCEPT WHEN IT DOESN'T, every time. :haha: :haha:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

In my layman's opinion, the CFC missed the big picture. They should have agreed that Ms. Walby was a nonresident alien, ask her if she had any visas or work permits that showed that the government had given permission for her to be here and, when she failed to produce such documents, turn her immediately over to DHS for deportation to North Korea via parachute.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

While I agree with your sentiments, courts in general seem to be deficient in the humor gene department. Alas.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The Court of Federal Claims is limited to the types of cases it may hear and a lawsuit for a tax refund -- not even mentioning a frivolous lawsuit with an absurd pretext for a tax refund -- is not among that limited range of cases. So the Court of Federal Claims could dump that case without waiting for the other side to respond.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

fortinbras wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 am The Court of Federal Claims is limited to the types of cases it may hear and a lawsuit for a tax refund -- not even mentioning a frivolous lawsuit with an absurd pretext for a tax refund -- is not among that limited range of cases. So the Court of Federal Claims could dump that case without waiting for the other side to respond.
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here. Tax refund cases can be brought in either the federal district court or the Court of Federal Claims. While the majority of the CFC’s docket is government contract cases, there are a number of tax cases that get litigated there. I have filed a few myself on behalf of clients.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

jcolvin2 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:03 am[ . . . ] Tax refund cases can be brought in either the federal district court or the Court of Federal Claims. [ . . . ]
Ah yes, the modern-day descendants of the Tucker Act of 1887: 28 USC 1491(a) (subject matter jurisdiction of the Court of Federal Claims to hear Federal tax refund cases) and 28 USC 1346(a) (same, U.S. District Courts).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet