Jaxtheimer v CIR CA10 "Posterity of We People" (Show Me The Law Redux)

jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Jaxtheimer v CIR CA10 "Posterity of We People" (Show Me The Law Redux)

Post by jcolvin2 »

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/20/20-9003.pdf

Excerpts:
First, throughout his brief, Jaxtheimer contends the IRS and the Tax Court lacked jurisdiction over him because he is “one of the Posterity of We People, living and working within the exterior boundaries of the several States.” Aplt. Br. at 10. In Lonsdale, we rejected similar arguments that “individuals (free born, white, preamble, sovereign, natural, individual common law de jure citizens of a state, etc.) are not persons subject to taxation” and that “the authority of the United States is confined to the District of Columbia.” 919 F.2d at 1448 (internal quotation marks omitted); see also Ford, 552 F.3d at 1177 n.2 (rejecting as frivolous an argument that taxpayer was “not subject to the income tax because he [was] a non[-]resident alien to the political jurisdiction of the United States” (internal quotation marks omitted)).
Second, Jaxtheimer contends Pollock v. Farmers’ Loan & Trust Company, 157 U.S. 429 (1895), requires apportionment for direct taxes on personal employment income. But Lonsdale rejected the argument that “the income tax is a direct tax which is invalid absent apportionment, and Pollock . . . is authority for that and other arguments against the government’s power to impose income taxes on individuals.” Lonsdale, 919 F.2d at 1448.
Third, Jaxtheimer contends the Sixteenth Amendment did not extend any new taxing powers or change the requirement that income taxes be apportioned. Yet Lonsdale rejected the argument that “the Sixteenth Amendment . . . is either invalid or applies only to corporations.” Id.
Fourth, Jaxtheimer contends the IRS failed to distinguish “between a tax on income that may be enforceable as an excise[,] and a tax on income that burdens accumulation of property[, which is] subject to . . . apportionment.” Aplt. Br. at 14. To the extent this contention suggests that income from excise activities is taxable, but income from other activities such as labor are not taxable, Lonsdale rejected the premise that “wages are not income,” 919 F.2d at 1448.
Fifth, denying he is a “taxpayer,” Jaxtheimer contends the IRS and the Tax Court identified no internal revenue law that classified him as a “taxpayer” subject to taxes. To the extent this argument suggests he is not required to pay taxes so long as he denies that he is a taxpayer, Lonsdale rejected similar arguments that “the income tax is voluntary” and that “no statutory authority exists for imposing an income tax on individuals,” id.2; see also Ford, 552 F.3d at 1177 n.2 (rejecting as frivolous taxpayer’s arguments that “income taxes do not apply to him”).
Last, Jaxtheimer contends no internal revenue law requires him to file tax returns and he breached no duty under “common or natural law” to file a return, Aplt. Br. at 22. But Lonsdale rejected the argument that “individuals are not required to file tax returns fully reporting their income.” 919 F.2d at 1448; see also Ford, 552 F.3d at 1177 n.2 (rejecting as frivolous taxpayer’s argument that “he is not
required to file tax returns”).
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Jaxtheimer v CIR CA10 "Posterity of We People" (Show Me The Law Redux)

Post by Famspear »

[ . . .] denying he is a “taxpayer,” Jaxtheimer contends the IRS and the Tax Court identified no internal revenue law that classified him as a “taxpayer” subject to taxes. [ . . . ]
Unfortunately, any person on Planet Earth (indeed, anyone in the Universe) can, depending on facts, circumstances, etc., be someone who is subject to a U.S. "internal revenue tax" under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Even a Tibetan monk living on the top of a mountain in Asia (1) who has never been a U.S. citizen, (2) who has never been a U.S. resident, and (3) who has never even visited the United States of America, can still be subject to a U.S. internal revenue tax.

In other words, anyone in the Universe can, depending on facts and circumstances, be a U.S. taxpayer as that term is defined in the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

For example, see Internal Revenue Code section 7701(a)(14); section 2(d); section 871; section 877, section 7701(b)(1)(B).

Sorry, Jax [ . . . ]

:cry:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

[ . . . ] Jaxtheimer contends Pollock v. Farmers’ Loan & Trust Company, 157 U.S. 429 (1895), requires apportionment for direct taxes on personal employment income. [ . . . ]
Jax is wrong. The Pollock decisions (and there were two of them) did not even apply to taxes on personal employment income (whether direct or not).
[ . . . ] Jaxtheimer contends the Sixteenth Amendment did not extend any new taxing powers or change the requirement that income taxes be apportioned. Yet Lonsdale rejected the argument that “the Sixteenth Amendment . . . is either invalid or applies only to corporations.” Id.
Lonsdale aside, the plain language of the Amendment negates Jax's silly argument.
Jaxtheimer contends the IRS failed to distinguish “between a tax on income that may be enforceable as an excise[,] and a tax on income that burdens accumulation of property[, which is] subject to . . . apportionment.”[ . . . ]
Complete, utter rubbish from Jax. The IRS does not "need" to make any such "distinction." And, no, Jax -- a tax on income that burdens property is not subject to apportionment. Read the Sixteenth Amendment, Jax. If it's a U.S. Federal tax on income, it is not required to be apportioned. There is no exception for a tax on income that "burdens property."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

exterior boundaries of the several States
What does that even mean????

So basically the same old tried and repeatedly failed shopworn TP arguments that have been failing for practically ever and a day. Totally lacking in originality or and thought.

Someday I am going to figure out where the whole
one of the Posterity of We People / individuals (free born, white, preamble, sovereign, natural, individual common law de jure citizens of a state, etc.) are not persons subject to taxation
I know it comes from the early days of the TP movement, but can't remember/don't know who came up with it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by noblepa »

notorial dissent wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm
exterior boundaries of the several States
What does that even mean????

Later, he claims to be a "non-resident alien to the jurisdiction of the United States". I think that means he thinks he has renounced his US citizenship, or that he never had it in the first place.

Being "within" the exterior boundaries of the several states", combined with his claim to be a "non-resident alien . . ." is his way of saying that, while he is physically present in what most of us refer to as the United States, he is not, even though he is in one of the states. Damn, even writing that, I found it made no sense.

As pointed out, these morons don't realize that, even if they could renounce their citizenship without leaving the country, it would not free them of their obligation to pay US income tax on income earned in the US.

Of course, he also trots out the old saw that "wages are not income", so how can he have US income, if he has no income at all.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:51 pm As pointed out, these morons don't realize that, even if they could renounce their citizenship without leaving the country, it would not free them of their obligation to pay US income tax on income earned in the US.
I believe that you can renounce within the US as long as you have a current passport for another country, as there are rules that you cannot be rendered stateless by the administrative process in the US. The UK has similar rules and and also a 6 month "Oh My Gosh, I have made a terrible mistake" reversal period. The UK is currently performing an experiment to see whether it can be revoked through government diktat!

The bad news for these grifters is that it costs $2,350 (no cash, no revocation) and, as has been pointed out, they are still bound by all the laws and tax rules.

The UK has a rule that any oath given to a foreign power has no standing in English law, which is why you see many UK based actors (Anthony Hopkins, John Oliver, Paul Bettany etc) getting US citizenship... but still legally being British and entitled to a passport unless they go through the official UK renunciation process as well, that's a bargain £372.

There was a time when the US would aggressively enforce nationality and wouldn't allow dual nationals, but I suspect there were a few court cases which led to this on the Government's website:
U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship.
A US friend of mine, got her British nationality (and shockingly she asked me to sign her good character papers!) and I've been offered jobs in the states twice in the past so I've probably read up on this more than the average Sov Cit!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

What the idjits also don't seem to get is that "citizenship" doesn't play a part in US tax law, ask Boris if you doubt that. If someone, PARTICULARLY, makes money with in the US then probably taxes are owed on it, only exception being ambassadors and embassy staff. Also, too, renouncing is not easy, is expensive, and more importantly all prior owed taxes HAVE to be paid prior to effect, so they are still liable for any taxes owed.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The US also requires that dual citizens use a US passport when returning to the US. If you are a citizen of both the US and the UK, for example, when flying into the US, you can not use your British passport. I think that Boris Johnson once got in a fight with US authorities when he came to the US and tried to give them his British passport.

I believe that, to renounce US citizenship, you must also show that you have no outstanding tax debt.

Also, a dual citizen can not call the other country's embassy/consulate for help if he/she is arrested in the US.

Interesting (at least to me) question: what if a dual citizen (say US/UK) was assigned as a diplomat to the UK embassy in Washington. Would he/she enjoy diplomatic immunity? Or, what if said person had a UK diplomatic passport and a normal US passport? Would either of these scenarios create an unusual creature; a US citizen who is truly not subject to US law?
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

noblepa wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm The US also requires that dual citizens use a US passport when returning to the US.
Also, a dual citizen can not call the other country's embassy/consulate for help if he/she is arrested in the US.
This is true of practically all countries that allow dual nationality. It's the same as a dual US/British national returning to the UK. It is also why I have not applied for a second passport of a sub-continent country that I am entitled to have, because if I visited there to see family, officials there are (I'll be polite) "slightly corrupt" and authoritarian and I'd have no help from the UK if I got into a spot of bother. With what Boris did with Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, you cannot trust the UK to be robust defending its own citizens.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

My brother moved to Australia and married a local, but he never changed his citizenship. So i have two nieces that are dual citizens. They've been able to vote in the last two US elections. So far they have not had to pay taxes on their australian wages, though.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
morrand

Post by morrand »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:32 am
noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:51 pm As pointed out, these morons don't realize that, even if they could renounce their citizenship without leaving the country, it would not free them of their obligation to pay US income tax on income earned in the US.
I believe that you can renounce within the US as long as you have a current passport for another country, as there are rules that you cannot be rendered stateless by the administrative process in the US. The UK has similar rules and and also a 6 month "Oh My Gosh, I have made a terrible mistake" reversal period. The UK is currently performing an experiment to see whether it can be revoked through government diktat!

The bad news for these grifters is that it costs $2,350 (no cash, no revocation) and, as has been pointed out, they are still bound by all the laws and tax rules.
As befits the large bureaucracy that is the United States diplomatic service, there is an entire section of the Foreign Affairs Manual that deals with the subject of renunciation. While the manual also describes the various forms that are to be filled in, and where they are to be sent, it's also clear that the State Department wants to be very sure that renunciants know what they're doing:
Renunciation and statelessness: Potential renunciants abroad who do not possess another nationality or a claim to one are nonetheless permitted to renounce U.S. nationality. In doing so the individual becomes stateless, a status that can present severe hardship and is disfavored under international law. You should explain the extreme difficulties that a stateless individual may encounter trying to establish residency in a foreign country or traveling between countries in order to ensure that the individual understands the consequences of statelessness. ...

Potential renunciants may also express the intention to continue to reside in the United States or its territories and possessions without documentation as aliens. Since this right of residency is a fundamental right that U.S. citizens and nationals possess, potential renunciants who wish to retain this right do not possess the intent necessary for an effective renunciation. Consular officers must not take renunciations from any individual who seeks to retain the right to reside in the United States or one of its territories or possessions. ...

Potential renunciants sometimes inquire whether their U.S. citizenship can be held in “suspense” so that they can temporarily claim a benefit, or take up a policy-level position in the government of, a foreign state. The answer is “no.” ...

If a would-be renunciant indicates a desire to renounce U.S. citizenship for the purpose of tax avoidance, (see INA 212(a)(10)(e) and any pertinent guidance adopted by the Department), you should consult 7 FAM 1262.4(i) regarding recordation in the consular officer opinion of the purpose stated by the renunciant, and should inform the person that:
  1. Renunciation may not exempt him or her from U.S. income taxation; and
  2. If the Department of Homeland Security determines that the renunciation is motivated by tax avoidance purposes, the individual will be found inadmissible to the United States under Section 212(a)(10)(E) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA 212(a)(10)(E), 8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(10)(E)), as amended.

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Brady Act) of 1993, Public Law 103-159 — Persons Who Renounce U.S. Citizenship Ineligible to Purchase Firearms, provides that it is unlawful to sell firearms to persons for whom a finding of loss of nationality due to renunciation has been made.
For the shorter version, or at least a more entertaining one, also see: "How do I go about renouncing my U.S. citizenship?", The Straight Dope (June 27, 1997).
---
Morrand