Spidey on Taxes

Red Cedar PM
Burnished Vanquisher of the Kooloohs

Re: Spidey on Taxes

Post by Red Cedar PM »

Imalawman wrote: But nonetheless, it's no longer our policy to lock a thread at 100 posts as long as there aren't numerous Monty Python digressions.
Here's a start. How about this picture of Spidey?

"It's just a scratch!"
"Pride cometh before thy fall."

--Dantonio 11:03:07
Grixit wrote:Hey Diller: forget terms like "wages", "income", "derived from", "received", etc. If you did something, and got paid for it, you owe tax.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Ok then, open it is. Personally i liked the punctuation provided by the locking policy.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grixit wrote:Ok then, open it is. Personally i liked the punctuation provided by the locking policy.
I had gotten pretty used to that rule, too. I think it tended to sometimes provide an excuse to shut down a thread that was just done and no one was willing to let the other have the last word. And I'm as guilty as anyone, but really, some threads with some of the specially stupid devolve to troll asking stupid question about the meaning of the word person or something, someone with more commons sense than a crescent wrench tells him and then we spend 6 pages trying to beat senses into the head of someone who as often as not knows everything he's being told, but just insists on being an asshole about it.

But, back on point, the rule was changed, I was invited to chime in before we did it so I can only assume the people who take as much interest in the forum as I do were also asked and though what I preferred was not what happened, it's something I can live with. Consensus. I freely give into the better of the community...(this is an analogy about government, for the dim witted among us...)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Probably not well known, but originally the 100-post rule had nothing to do with topic drift or age of the topic, but for a more practical reason: the tendency of the site to crash seemed directly proportional to how large a particular thread had gotten. So the 100-post limit was selected as the point of no return, and we started locking threads. The added incentive of topic drift helped reinforce this rule and after a while, became the prime motivator (and reason) to lock up a topic. Since the last revision, webhick has advised that we could sally out beyond the "here be dragons" sign. So that is the reason we are seeing threads going beyond the original limit. We should be hesitant at locking a thread simply because it has reached that stage; on the other hand if the topic has gotten off point and we are simply being regaled with multiple posts of Famspear's limericks, then the moderator at hand should lock with impunity.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Ironically, the topic is now adrift (and Spidey opened a new thread) and there is a topic already on the subject of the 100 post limit. If nothing else my unlocking at least brought up the topic that the 100 post limitation is no longer enforced - rather any topic may be locked when it becomes to far adrift. If it only annoys you that a topic is still being discussed - don't read it.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown