Creation Science (& Tax Cheaters) Hall of Fame!

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Creation Science (& Tax Cheaters) Hall of Fame!

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Famspear wrote:
Terry A. Hurlbut wrote:Evolution is the biggest fraud in the history of science. In the same vein, the Internal Revenue Code might be the biggest fraud in the history of law. To accept any law as valid on no strength other than the mere publication of a court opinion is no act of critical thinking.
Oh, wait! Don't tell me... let me guess!

An act of "critical thinking" would be accepting Terry Hurlbut's view as to the validity of a law? Is that it?

Dear Mr. Hurlbut, wherever you are.....

Were you asleep during that ninth grade civics class?

The "mere publication of a court opinion" on the validity of a law (as you put it), under our legal system, is indeed authoritative on the validity of a law.

I have a feeling that Hurlbut's mental processes on scientific subjects are on the same par as his mental processes regarding our legal system.
Hurlbut's mental processes apparently run like this: 1) there are two sides to every story; 2) we must be fair and balanced when dealing with the two sides; so 3) we must therefore give full consideration to all aspects of both sides.

In other words, boys and girls, if guys like Hurlbut want to use the Bible as a scientific text, or as an authoritative document when considering issues of taxation, we are being oh, so unfair when we won't take his fantasies seriously.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

OK, the last time i looked "showing the fig" meant to make a rude hand gesture.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Paths of the Sea
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Paths of the Sea »

Maybe Nick or one of his surrogates (i.e., Terry A. Hurlbut, et al) will show up to chat with some of y'all; maybe not:

-------------------------------------------------

To: Xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:27:09 -0500

Subject: Re: Kent Hovind

Xxxxxx,

Please give me the web address of Forbes and Quatloos
with instructions on how to use them.

Not quite sure I want to use a format like that, but
I am willing to look at it.

Nick Lally
Chairman, Board of Directors
Creation Science Hall of Fame

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent him the links...again!

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

Communications continue with the Board of Directors of the Creation Science Museum as it continues to work to remove the false claim on its website regarding a tombstone of Matthew Fontaine Maury and speed up the induction process as to the tax cheating preacher Kent Hovind.

Most recently, it was determined that one of my YAHOO! list members had previous controversies with one of the board members and one of the Hall's more infamous inductees, Walt Brown.

In light of those developments, efforts are now under way to produce a debate between my YAHOO! list member and Walt Brown regarding Walt Brown's speculative "hydroplate theory" which he uses to try and explain a recent, worldwide flood.

I anticipate that Walt Brown will not be willing to openly, honestly negotiate the debate details and will, ultimately, be the cause for the effort failing.

We will see.

For full details regarding the extensive correspondence on all of these matters, you can review the public archives of my YAHOO! discussion list at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maury_and_Baty/

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Heh. The year that the "hydroplate theory" and the associated "hydrosorting theory" became a hot topic on talk.origins, was also a big flood year in the middle of the US. Americans found themselves waging hand to hand combat with the Mississippi, and losing. Much of the work of the Army Corps of Engineers was erased. That was when they developed the idea of the government buying out private land in the flood plain so that there would be fewer losses in the future. In other words, it was an epic flood.

So i said, given that the flood literalists claim that all valuable mineral deposits were laid down in a very short time, i suggested that they ought to go prospecting. Sure it might take the Great Flood to make sapphires, but there should be plenty of agate, tourqoise, and fine grained marble after this flood. They didn't take me up on it.

As for Pathfinder Maury, it took just one Gogle search to find a picture of his tombstone. You know, like it takes just one Google search to find the text of tax related court rulings. Looks like a clear case of convergent evolution.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Paths of the Sea

grixit wrote:
As for Pathfinder Maury, it took just one Google search to find a picture of his tombstone. You know, like it takes just one Google search to find the text of tax related court rulings. Looks like a clear case of convergent evolution.
After all these years I have learned to enjoy the humor in such exercises.

It all started when that little upstart (me) dared to question the Ph.D. preacher who came around to my local church with his "favorite story" (i.e., of Maury, the sick-bed, and that statue at the Naval Academy depicting Maury with a Bible in one outstretched hand).

Who was I to suggest, among other things, there was no such statue; at the Academy or elsewhere?

What a hoot!

I won!

Alas, the Maury myths continue.

And, if you Google that tombstone issue you can find a lot of hits where it is claimed there is a Maury tombstone at the Academy.

What a hoot!

And the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Creation Science Hall of Fame has relied on one of his heroes, Morris, as the authority on that tombstone.

Originally it came out looking like this:

> Morris said it.
> I believe it.
> That settles it.

What a hoot!

How dare that upstart to question Morris.

How dare me!
How dare ME!

I'm looking now to see if the CSHF sweeps their error under the rug and just corrects the matter or publicly admits the error, explains how they came to make it so others won't be inclined to repeat it, and then corrects it.

I'm simple minded, but these simple-minded exercises are generally sufficient for me to get some valuable insight into my adversaries and the prospects of progress on the weightier matters.

I'm not looking for any of them to try and pursue with me their problem in promoting the antics of the tax evading young-earth preacher Kent Hovind, and it will be interesting to follow their professed intentions to induct him shortly after the holidays.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

Here's another impressive looking website:

http://justpiper.com/2012/06/u-s-naval- ... ment-76384

It contains the following claim:

> "Maury’s tombstone at the U.S. Naval Academy..."

I left a note there, but it is subject to moderation before posting.

Guess I'll just have to monitor that site and see if they react any different than the Creation Science Hall of Fame.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Paths of the Sea wrote:The Creation Science Hall of Fame has recently begun its fund-raising campaign for a brick and mortar edifice to their chosen heroes to be built near Ken Ham's Creation Museum and proposed Ark Encounter.

One of the "worthies" of note:

http://creationsciencehalloffame.org/honorable-mention/

#35.

Kent E. Hovind (born January 15, 1953), an American young earth creationist, is considered by many to be one of the foremost authorities on science and the Bible. His amazing ability to communicate complicated scientific concepts in an easy-to-understand format makes this essential information accessible for youth and laypersons, as well as science professors.

His creation seminars’ goal is to convince listeners to reject theories of evolution, geophysics, and cosmology in favor of the Genesis creation narrative from the Bible. As of 2012, this Creation Seminar has parts translated via subtitling in 37 languages. Hovind’s views are contradicted by secular scientific journals and some of his ideas have also been criticized by young earth creationists as happens among creation organizations.

Hovind established the Creation Science Evangelism ministry in 1989 speaking extensively on young Earth creationism at private schools, churches, debates, and on radio and television broadcasts.

Since January 2007, Hovind has been serving a ten-year prison sentence after being convicted on 58 federal counts.

Nick Lally, Chairman, Board of Directors, Creation Science Hall of Fame, says that he met Kent Hovind at his Creation Boot Camp in Pensacola, Florida and found him to be a dedicated Creationist and Christian.

Nick believes that Kent is in jail out of principle, and not deceit.

Nominated by Nick Lally.

---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Sorry to be reviving this deservedly inactive thread but I just came across an article regarding Ken Ham's Ark Encounter which explains why the state of Kentucky will not be granting any tax incentives.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Paths of the Sea

rogfulton wrote:
...I just came across an article regarding Ken Ham's Ark Encounter which explains why the state of Kentucky will not be granting any tax incentives.
Yeah, that's a big story making the rounds!

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Paths of the Sea wrote:
rogfulton wrote:
...I just came across an article regarding Ken Ham's Ark Encounter which explains why the state of Kentucky will not be granting any tax incentives.
Yeah, that's a big story making the rounds!

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Been an ongoing issue out here for quite awhile actually, at least 6-7 months. The crux of the problem is that they, as a hiring requirement, want to only hire those who profess to be Christians, believe in the story of the Ark, and, if rumor is correct, are heterosexuals. Arayder may be able to add more since he, literally, is closer to the story then I am and I, quite honestly, haven't been following it too closely. Especially after it came out that Beshear had promised the incentives, period. Have had several..... discussions..... over it on Facebook over whether or not it is legal to have a hiring requirement like that and got to the point I could care less anymore.
Last edited by JamesVincent on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Paths of the Sea

JamesVincent wrote:
Have had several..... discussions..... over it on Facebook over whether or not it is legal to have a hiring requirement like that and got to the point I couldn't care less anymore.
I think much of the problem is the result of Ham's multiplying of the organizations that are supposed to be involved in the whole matter.

I haven't followed close enough to be sure of what is going on.

However, it appears to me that the wooden boat is supposed to be a separate project, with restricted employment opportunities and is being constructed through a tax-exempt charitable organization which is allowed to accept donations deductible for income tax purposes.

In that scenario, that operation would not be entitled to any of the big tax incentives that had been proposed.

I understood that it was supposed to be the separate, for profit amusement park that was to get the tax incentives if the operation ever properly advanced.

Looks like Ham, due to the recent flap over employment requirements, fouled up the whole thing; perhaps a good thing in the long run.

I guess the investors are a secret little bunch, but I suspect that the investors are never going to realize any return on their money and it could be one those schemes where Ham will eventually want to take it over and have the investors donate their investments to him.

Just speculating.
Interesting show to watch, but I claim no expertise in my evaluation.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Sorry to revive yet another dead thread, but Patheos is reporting that the owners of Ark Encounter just sold it to themselves for $10 to avoid taxes.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... void-taxes

According to the article, the tax under discussion is 50 cents per ticket to help pay for EMS and firetrucks, among other safety-of-residents-and-tourists type things.
The article wrote:The Creationists at Ark Encounter, however, say they should be exempt from that charge because they run a non-profit ministry. You wouldn’t force a church to pay taxes, now, would you?!

The problem is that up until now, Ark Encounter has legally been a for-profit business in order to receive a number of tax incentives from the city and state.
Parts of the article were previously reported elsewhere and if you go to the link, there are links to those other reports.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Say, kids, can you say sham transaction and fraudulent conveyance? Of course you can.

Now will the local authorities get the idea that they have been taken for a ride and do something about it?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

File under "having your cake and eating it, too".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

Not to mention the ripping off of the taxpayers and the county. Little things.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

LEX 18 has an update on Ark Encounter's sale to a subsidiary.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

So these guys got an $18 million tax incentive from the state, then didn't want to pay for a first-aid station?
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

TheNewSaint wrote:So these guys got an $18 million tax incentive from the state, then didn't want to pay for a first-aid station?
Not only that, they are kissing off tens of millions because they didn't want to have to pay $700,000.
notorial dissent

I wonder if there is a clause in the agreement that says if they don't abide by the full terms of the agreement that the tax incentive shave to be repaid to the state? There certainly should be.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor

Post by rogfulton »

notorial dissent wrote:I wonder if there is a clause in the agreement that says if they don't abide by the full terms of the agreement that the tax incentive shave to be repaid to the state? There certainly should be.
Go to the link I posted above, I believe it states something to that effect.