Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

notorial dissent wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:20 pm A college/University degree, even in a highly technical discipline indicates an ability in that area, and probably fair intelligence and nothing else. It does not also indicate common sense or even functional life skills. As witness the number of doctors, lawyers, dentists, airline pilots, and chiropractors who regularly involve themselves in highly questionable and dubious legal and tax schemes only to have it all eventually come down around their ears.
The Germans have a term, "fachidiot", for someone who is brilliant in one subject, and an absolute dimwit in all of the rest.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

longdog wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:25 pm
notorial dissent wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:20 pm A college/University degree, even in a highly technical discipline indicates an ability in that area, and probably fair intelligence and nothing else. It does not also indicate common sense or even functional life skills. As witness the number of doctors, lawyers, dentists, airline pilots, and chiropractors who regularly involve themselves in highly questionable and dubious legal and tax schemes only to have it all eventually come down around their ears.
Doctoring and lawyering I consider to be mostly academic subjects. Dentisting and piloting are skilled manual labour. Chiropractic is just quackery as far as I'm concerned and on the same level of respectability as fraudster. Actually make that is just another name for fraudster.
My own chiro uses the "Gonstead Method"; and he confines himself to fixing aches and pains in my neck and back -- and does quite well at it. He says that any chiro who claims to be able to do anything else is, knowingly or unknowingly, a con artist.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
TheRambler
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by TheRambler »

longdog wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:25 pm
Doctoring and lawyering I consider to be mostly academic subjects. Dentisting and piloting are skilled manual labour. Chiropractic is just quackery as far as I'm concerned and on the same level of respectability as fraudster. Actually make that is just another name for fraudster.
What differentiates the pilot is that his desk is moving at 8 miles\minute whilst he’s having to make a decision. OTOH, he has the privilege of being the first to arrive at the scene of the accident!

TheRambler
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

This is Dunning Kruger in action. Everybody's job looks easy when you don't know how to do it.

The error is in assuming that one type of intelligence or intelligence in one field ought to carry across to all others
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

SpearGrass wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:29 pm This is Dunning Kruger in action. Everybody's job looks easy when you don't know how to do it.

The error is in assuming that one type of intelligence or intelligence in one field ought to carry across to all others
Yes, more often than not competence/intelligence in one field DOES NOT transfer to another, in fact it is usually the opposite. Sometimes stunningly so.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:04 am
SpearGrass wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:29 pm This is Dunning Kruger in action. Everybody's job looks easy when you don't know how to do it.

Yes, more often than not competence/intelligence in one field DOES NOT transfer to another, in fact it is usually the opposite. Sometimes stunningly so.
I have encountered no small number of intelligent doctors, dentists, lawyers, and computer engineers who could not manage the accounting and business side of their profession if their lives depended on it.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:44 pm
notorial dissent wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:04 am

I have encountered no small number of intelligent doctors, dentists, lawyers, and computer engineers who could not manage the accounting and business side of their profession if their lives depended on it.
When I entered the field of financial services, I spent the first years in a call center. I was amazed at the number of professionals who had clearly done well in their fields, but were (to put it charitably) completely clueless as to investing. One dentist was trying to day-trade his mutual fund account, and was moving over $100K, every day or two. Many others would leap for their phones, if the markets were down 2%, sell their shares for cash, and then "sit back and see when the market turns around" before reinvesting -- never mind that when the market recovers, it usually recovers quickly, and these clowns ended up buying high after selling low.
longdog

Post by longdog »

To be fair most people who have any sort of skill could say the same about most professionals in most other spheres. There are huge swathes of human endeavour that are a complete mystery to me simply because I don't care enough about them to even want to know how they work.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:08 pm When I entered the field of financial services, I spent the first years in a call center. I was amazed at the number of professionals who had clearly done well in their fields, but were (to put it charitably) completely clueless as to investing. One dentist was trying to day-trade his mutual fund account, and was moving over $100K, every day or two. Many others would leap for their phones, if the markets were down 2%, sell their shares for cash, and then "sit back and see when the market turns around" before reinvesting -- never mind that when the market recovers, it usually recovers quickly, and these clowns ended up buying high after selling low.
I worked in Financial Services in the UK and the analysts in my company got quite a reputation for buying the Japanese market high and selling low doing it at least three times in about 8 years before buying high and holding as the market fell without any recovery worth talking of for many years.

Our biggest bugbear were pools winners who expected us to maintain their new found lifestyle no matter how much they spent.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:44 pmI have encountered no small number of intelligent doctors, dentists, lawyers, and computer engineers who could not manage the accounting and business side of their profession if their lives depended on it.
All I can say is, "Thank God for my long-time partner".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

longdog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:18 pm To be fair most people who have any sort of skill could say the same about most professionals in most other spheres. There are huge swathes of human endeavour that are a complete mystery to me simply because I don't care enough about them to even want to know how they work.
Yes, I certainly don't expect that everyone must be a master at every skill or talent that is in the human library. But the common denominator when going into business for yourself, regardless of the professional skill you bring to the business, is knowing that you also have to understand the workings of a business. Otherwise you are opening yourself up to being embezzled, defrauded, theft, going bankrupt, your business being sued out of existence, ruining your credit, losing to unfair competition, loss of intellectual property, and a number of other financial horrors that have caused people to lose their spouses, families, homes, and even their own lives.

If you cannot master the basic concepts of basic money-handling skills, budgeting, liability protection, and the like, you should at the very least realize that you need qualified help in that area. It is far better to spend some extra dollars in getting a good accounting service that will audit not only your books but your business practices and help you realize what is needed to survive a very tough dog-eat-dog world out there.
wserra wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:32 am All I can say is, "Thank God for my long-time partner".
I hope that was the good partner and not the bad partner.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
longdog

Post by longdog »

The Observer wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:29 pm But the common denominator when going into business for yourself, regardless of the professional skill you bring to the business, is knowing that you also have to understand the workings of a business. Otherwise you are opening yourself up to being embezzled, defrauded, theft, going bankrupt, your business being sued out of existence, ruining your credit, losing to unfair competition, loss of intellectual property, and a number of other financial horrors that have caused people to lose their spouses, families, homes, and even their own lives.
Can't help but think that should have a "should be" instead of an "is".

I was technically speaking "in business for myself" with little in the way of knowledge of how businesses are supposed to work. As long as income exceeded expenditure every month by a couple of grand all was peachy and that was all I really cared about.

But then I never borrowed money for the "business" which is probably where things start going wrong for most people.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

longdog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:58 pm I was technically speaking "in business for myself" with little in the way of knowledge of how businesses are supposed to work. As long as income exceeded expenditure every month by a couple of grand all was peachy and that was all I really cared about.
And that method would probably work for most people, if they are actually tracking expenditures and income. But life intervenes periodically even in the best of circumstances. If one has not anticipated the typical emergencies and put away money to deal with such, they may find themselves in the hole very quickly. Like the wine store owner I know of in earthquake -prone California. He carries a few hundred thousand dollars in inventory that is displayed on the floor without any tethered/anchored anchored shelving. Obviously, precautions like that will do little good in a massive 6.0 or greater quake, but even lessor tremblors could cause massive loss even if the building suffers no structural damage. And he compounds the error by not insuring the wine against loss. Yes, the premiums would be expensive (especially if the policy requires him to anchor the merchandise), but far better to pay a little up front than watching the loss of your entire business.
longdog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:58 pm But then I never borrowed money for the "business" which is probably where things start going wrong for most people.
Or spending money on personal expenses as soon as they receive it instead of resolving the books and business expenses at the end of their business cycle and taking the cash draw then. Or purchasing assets for the business that do not increase the income of the business to cover the cost and maintenance of the assets. Or hiring employees that do increase the income of the business to cover their salaries, taxes and benefits. Or lowering the price of their services or products to attract more customers, but the decrease does not generate additional profit to cover current expenses. Or raising their prices to generate more profit but losing customers to competitors who didn't raise prices. Or moving into premises that charge a higher rent/lease that again, does not result in the business generating a net gain income.

The list goes on...

wserra

Post by wserra »

Mod note: A poster reported this thread as having gone off-topic. It certainly has. However, we have never been doctrinaire about keeping threads strictly on-topic, especially where Q regulars are concerned.

So thank you, reporter, for your concern, but I think we can tolerate a little banter every now and then.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

There's really nothing more to say about Hannah's latest hustle and rant. She is still as irritating and annoying as ever, and not worth watching for more than 10 seconds. I'll hit the "ignore" button on her, until she lands upon the huge heap of trouble which is heading her way.
Tinkle Bucket
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Tinkle Bucket »

Talking of Hannah and heads does anyone remember her confidently declaring that the police would not break the window of her car if she put head next to said window.....
she was wrong.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Tinkle Bucket wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:24 am Talking of Hannah and heads does anyone remember her confidently declaring that the police would not break the window of her car if she put head next to said window.....
she was wrong.
No I don't and in the interests of entertainment and the hope there is a video of it.... [citation needed] :mrgreen:
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

For lack of anything better to do, I took a peek at Hannah's Facebook page. On October 29, she said:

New Vaers numbers have been published:
17,128 Deaths
818,042 Adverse Events
127,641 Doctor Visits
83,412 Hospitalizations
92,017 Urgent Care
26,199 Permanently Disabled
10,179 Bell's Palsy
10,304 Myocarditis
8,408 Heart Attacks
7,532 Anaphylaxis
3,875 Thrombocytopenia/Low Platelet
18,925 Life Threatening
31,753 Severe Allergic Reaction
9,734 Shingles
2,631 Miscarriages
If this was a car seat it would have been pulled in April of 2021 https://openvaers.com/index.php

My reply:

Of course, you realize that VAERS is a self-reporting platform. If I claim that a vaccine gave me a hangnail, or a big zit at the end of my nose, VAERS takes my claim.

To which Hannah replied:

God [Pottapaug], your right I guess no one should be reporting these one million adverse events how silly of me? There should be no available public credible info on the events. Smh God you are so right. We have no right to know, or to even question. Right [Pottapaug]?

Since she had invited me to respond, I attempted to do so; but it turns out that sweet little Hannah has limited who can comment on her posts. Ya think that she's afraid of something? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Now that Piers Corbyn has "stormed a vaccine centre", how long will it be before Hannah Stupid is going to be a police "person of interest"?
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The Observer wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:29 pm
longdog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:18 pm To be fair most people who have any sort of skill could say the same about most professionals in most other spheres. There are huge swathes of human endeavour that are a complete mystery to me simply because I don't care enough about them to even want to know how they work.
Yes, I certainly don't expect that everyone must be a master at every skill or talent that is in the human library. But the common denominator when going into business for yourself, regardless of the professional skill you bring to the business, is knowing that you also have to understand the workings of a business. Otherwise you are opening yourself up to being embezzled, defrauded, theft, going bankrupt, your business being sued out of existence, ruining your credit, losing to unfair competition, loss of intellectual property, and a number of other financial horrors that have caused people to lose their spouses, families, homes, and even their own lives.

If you cannot master the basic concepts of basic money-handling skills, budgeting, liability protection, and the like, you should at the very least realize that you need qualified help in that area. It is far better to spend some extra dollars in getting a good accounting service that will audit not only your books but your business practices and help you realize what is needed to survive a very tough dog-eat-dog world out there.
I hope that was the good partner and not the bad partner.
This may be one of the reasons that there are so few physicians in a single practice. Every doctor I have heard of lately is a member of a larger practice, sometimes with 30 or more doctors and with professional business managers. While I'm sure that the doctors still complain about the amount of paperwork, someone else can handle the day to day business of collecting payments from patients and insurers, hiring and paying nurses and other employees and paying bills.