Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Hercule Parrot
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Post by Hercule Parrot »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 am
He Who Knows wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 pm Again, a photocopy of the writ is admisable in court unless there is an issue, which there wasn't.
No that is the problem. Chrisy has been using SovCit playbook 101 "The writ isn't valid" claim from the start. It therefore is an issue. The CPS didn't have the original which is what the judge wanted in the circumstances, therefore a major bit of evidence isn't allowed into court, appeal granted. The fact that SovCits always say "the writ isn't valid" means Chrisy lucked out on this one because the CPS messed up.
Exactly. All that CPS needed to do was to have a full copy of the paperwork, and a prosecuting lawyer who could confidently explain it's legitimacy to the satisfaction of the Judge. Instead the prosecutor's advocacy was basically "I don't know anything about it really, they just told me to hand in this piece of paper. I can't comment on whether it's valid".

By the requirements of natural justice, Cwissy was entitled to acquittal under those circumstances. Shame on CPS, for failing to represent the public interest and uphold the law.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

HH Lawton said:
Prosecution have been unable to produce original writ.
I have considered carefully about whether I can allow the photocopy as secondary evidence.
Rules of Admissibility have been helpfully clarified in DPP v Sugden [2018] EWHC 544
(Admin) where it sets out documents relevant, the document if a copy is acceptable unless
there is an issue raised. If reasonable explanation of original could be explained as to why It
cannot be produced then this can be a factor for the court to consider
If not produced then the court is to take consideration and draw an inference or use
probative weight to attach to why it cannot be produced.
As I see it, the one-page Writ 66 used for the eviction was completely above board as, contrary to what Chrisy Morris says, a Writ 66 does not require a judge's signature. Why does HH Lawton not know this and why does he ask Counsel Ms Brocklebank?
HHJ Lawton asks her opinion on whether she would expect a writ to have a high court judge
signature on the writ, bearing in mind that even a low level search at a magistrates is signed
by a Circuit Judge.
M'learned friends, do you think there is any chance this case could be re-heard higher up the legal food chain? After all, Derbyshire Police will now probably have a wrongful arrest claim from Morris.
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally (Niccolo Machiavelli)...and what the FMOTL never does (He Who Knows)
ManontheClaphamBus
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ManontheClaphamBus »

M'learned friends, do you think there is any chance this case could be re-heard higher up the legal food chain? After all, Derbyshire Police will now probably have a wrongful arrest claim from Morris.

I am not a 'learned friend', but seeing that the CPS did not contest the appeal and the conviction was quashed, how could the case be re-heard?

As much as I find this situation unpalatable, the law has taken its course.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

He Who Knows wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 am As I see it, the one-page Writ 66 used for the eviction was completely above board as, contrary to what Chrisy Morris says, a Writ 66 does not require a judge's signature. Why does HH Lawton not know this and why does he ask Counsel Ms Brocklebank?
That's not how justice works, HWK. The Judge's role is to only make findings upon the evidence presented by advocates, not to supply evidence himself. And the burden of proof is entirely upon the Crown, as it should be in the interests of all our civil rights.

Morris had made it clear from the start that his defence relied upon challenging the validity of the writ of possession. But in the re-hearing of the case, a serious and costly hearing in the Crown Court, the CPS made no attempt to prove it's validity. And the CPS barrister declined every invitation from the Judge to make arguments for validity. In fact she distanced herself from the question of validity, hiding behind "I am instructed".

CPS should have prepared and served copies of the relevant Civil Procedure Rules governing writs of possession. The prosecutor should have studied this material and gained a confident, fluent ability to deal with it. She should have then walked the court through the process, clearly explaining how all the necessary requirements were met.

The prosecutor should have known whether a Judge's signature was necessary, and been able to cite the regulations and case law which made it so. She should have known the format and style of the writ template, and how many pages it would be. She should have been able to explain why the original writ was not available.

This is no different to prosecuting a motorist who says he is going to challenge the reliability of the radar gun.The Crown must satisfy the court that the radar gun was in good order, and correctly used by a proficient operator. If they cannot, the motorist is entitled to acquittal.

And so, Morris was entitled to acquittal. It would have been outrageously unjust for him to be convicted Beyond Reasonable Doubt without any evidence being presented that a valid writ ever existed. I repeat again, it was the Crown's responsibility to present evidence which proved validity, and they had ample warning of this burden, but they failed to make the barest gesture towards it.

Glancing at the CPS barrister's chambers profile (www.18sjs.com/people/claire-brocklebank/), she only completed her training in 2016. So perhaps inexperience or lack of ability is a factor. However she has a decent base of practice in civil and criminal proceedings, enough that she must have been capable of seeing what was obviously required to win this simple trial. Which leads me to one final thought - perhaps Ms Brocklebank is a smart cookie, and she actually knew that the validity of the writ was fatally undermined by some or other procedural error. That explanation fits the facts just as well as incompetence.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

He Who Knows wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 am M'learned friends, do you think there is any chance this case could be re-heard higher up the legal food chain? After all, Derbyshire Police will now probably have a wrongful arrest claim from Morris.
There can be no appeal against Morris's acquittal.

If he brings a civil case against Police, that will be heard on it's own merits. Morris will claim that the alleged writ has been proved to be false or defective. This is not correct. HH Lawton only said that the validity of the writ had not been proven in the criminal appeal hearing, he did not make any general finding that it was invalid. And regardless of the actual validity of the writ, an arrest made on honest and reasonable belief of a constable would not be "wrongful".
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

Brilliant precis of the case HP, as always.
With regard to your comment below...
So perhaps inexperience or lack of ability is a factor. However she has a decent base of practice in civil and criminal proceedings, enough that she must have been capable of seeing what was obviously required to win this simple trial. Which leads me to one final thought - perhaps Ms Brocklebank is a smart cookie,
...I am convinced Chrisy Morris's acquittal was down to her "inexperience" rather than her being "a smart cookie". That, and the overstretched CPS reviewing lawyers.
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally (Niccolo Machiavelli)...and what the FMOTL never does (He Who Knows)
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

This all arose from Rehka Patel's eviction didn't it? Will he now be egging her on to challenge the eviction yet again on the ground of the writ being invalid?
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

aesmith wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 am This all arose from Rehka Patel's eviction didn't it? Will he now be egging her on to challenge the eviction yet again on the ground of the writ being invalid?
According to the Rekha thread, she and Ken Thompson tried to move back in
shortly after the ruling came down.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

This was predictable. Chrisy says the warrant isn't valid but the situation was the original warrant wasn't available to the judge. That says nothing about its validity. The boot is on the other foot now, as to prove it isn't valid Chrisy would have to get the original.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

The other half of this story is Wrecka's professional status.

I will speculate with some confidence that she has been signed off sick for a good while now, and continues to receive full salary from the school. Also that the school is well aware of her lunatic adventures, and has been very happy to have her off the premises for the time being. But they are probably paying £2k pw for temporary cover, and they will not want to continue this forever. And they would not want Wrecka to ever return to their school.

So, looming somewhere in the background will be an HR process to bring an end to the episode. It is legal to dismiss a worker who has been sick for a long time, but there are risks. If Wrecka disputes it at Industrial Tribunal and alleges racism etc, the school will be on the hook for more cost and adverse publicity (even if they are successful).

The other route, which I imagine the school will prefer, would be fitness to teach. If a professional conduct panel concludes that Wrecka's behaviour (within the school, or otherwise) makes her unsuited for the responsible and trusted profession of teaching, she may be 'struck off' by a Prohibition Order. And then the school would have no burden to prove, she would be automatically dismissed.
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

M'learned friends, the wonders of Google tell us that a prosecution decision can be reconsidered. Hypothetically, therefore couldn't Chrisy Morris be back in the dock if the original writ was produced?
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/r ... n-decision
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Hercule Parrot wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm
He Who Knows wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 am M'learned friends, do you think there is any chance this case could be re-heard higher up the legal food chain? After all, Derbyshire Police will now probably have a wrongful arrest claim from Morris.
There can be no appeal against Morris's acquittal.

If he brings a civil case against Police, that will be heard on it's own merits. Morris will claim that the alleged writ has been proved to be false or defective. This is not correct. HH Lawton only said that the validity of the writ had not been proven in the criminal appeal hearing, he did not make any general finding that it was invalid. And regardless of the actual validity of the writ, an arrest made on honest and reasonable belief of a constable would not be "wrongful".
Was he acquitted or was the case dismissed? To the sovcits, the two are interchangeable, but, in reality, there is a huge difference.

In the US, at least, a acquittal can almost never be appealed. That is, if a jury votes to acquit or if the case has no jury and the judge rules that the defendant is not guilty.

Chrissy may, indeed, file a wrongful arrest lawsuit. However, even an acquittal does not automatically mean that the arrest was wrongful. In the US, the police must have "probable cause" to believe that someone committed a crime, before arresting them. A "false arrest" claim can only succeed if the defendant can prove that the police had no such probable cause.
A dismissal, on the other hand, unless it is dismissed with prejudice, can be re-tried. No appeal is necessary. The prosecutor simply files a new set of charges. However, the prosecutor would be wise to have corrected any error that prompted the judge to dismiss the case.
longdog

Post by longdog »

To have a ghost in hell's chance of a successful suit for wrongful arrest he would have to prove that the grounds for the arrest were almost completely devoid of merit. The fact that the CPS commenced proceedings against him would tend to show that there was some valid reason so he would be pretty much knackered from the outset. His eventual aquittal is completely irrelevant.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

The issue at hand isn't whether the writ is valid or not. The charge was regarding if he genuinely and reasonably believed it was a genuine officer of the court he was obstructing.

Sadly for Rekha, its no indication of the repossssion being dodgy. However, footlers being footlers, I'm pretty sure we know whatll be going around her tiny mind......
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

The case was quashed.
It is possible to apply for a "Voluntary Bill of Indictment" which takes the case straight up to the High Court without having to go back down the Snakes & Ladders board to Magistrates.
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/v ... indictment
letissier14

Post by letissier14 »

I don't take sides, I read all the facts and then come to my own conclusions
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Secret group, eh?

I wonder what marvellous ideas the Brain Of Britain has lined up.

Probably picking people at random, asking them if they are paedophiles and then accusing all who deny it with being obvious liars and beating them up. That part about doing it without actually getting arrested, that was just a joke.
longdog

Post by longdog »

I suspect there's a higher percentage of paedophiles amongst the 'paedophile hunters' than the population as a whole. Just look at the Hoaxstead website if that's anything to go by. A lot of the more vocal 'protectors of children' are convicted child abusers.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

longdog wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 pm I suspect there's a higher percentage of paedophiles amongst the 'paedophile hunters' than the population as a whole. Just look at the Hoaxstead website if that's anything to go by. A lot of the more vocal 'protectors of children' are convicted child abusers.
My Thought a exactly. The only reason I can see for such an all encompassing fascination and mania is someone looking for tips.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

I just don't see him telling people how to catch himself.