Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Post by TheNewSaint »

rumpelstilzchen wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:38 pm I don't agree with most of Morris' opinions but I do admire him for actually engaging in the political system even if it is at the lowest level.
I'll second this. I give Chrisy credit for trying to enact change through proper channels, rather than Fisher-Price play courts. Having to work with other people, abide by conduct rules, and find consensus, could be a good lesson for him.

And if Chrisy does act like his usual obnoxious self, then it's a lesson for the voters about paying more attention to who they're voting for in local elections. Which I think most localities would benefit from.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

In other words a low cost, low risk civics lesson all round.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

There was one small town in southern California where the council was concerned that the residents weren't paying attention to local affairs. So they passed a resolution to double their own salary. That produced a short burst of resentment, but as soon as it came out that, in fact, it was just a ploy because the salary was zero, apathy resumed.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
dannyno
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by dannyno »

hucknallred wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 am The results are in & he's in.

http://www.maldon.gov.uk/download/downl ... e_west.pdf

Well, he's got one of 6 seats in Heybridge West, not sure of the size of the electorate. With the main parties being abandoned nationwide, not a difficult thing to pull off.
This is not the full story. He stood for two different seats, one for the parish council as reported above, and another one for the district council.

He also got elected to the district council, which was an actual contested election. The results are here:

/https://www.maldon.gov.uk/download/down ... e_west.pdf

There were 3184 potential voters, turnout was 22.7%.

There were four candidates for two seats. The two independents won over the two Conservative party candidates, as has been the national trend.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

First thing to be miffed about right there: returning officer put his name as Chrissy. His abbreviation has one S.
As others have said, going to be interesting to see how he deals with everyday realpolitik in the office.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:32 pm
rumpelstilzchen wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:38 pm I don't agree with most of Morris' opinions but I do admire him for actually engaging in the political system even if it is at the lowest level.
I'll second this.
I'll third it. I have more respect for people who put themselves through the democratic process than people who whinge about no matter who they are or what party. It costs nothing to stand for a local council so if you don't like who you have there is no excuse.

However, on past behaviour, I'm anticipating Chrisy will have a few problems to contend with. First will be his declaration of interests which is a public document. Second will be sticking to the councillor code of conduct!

Maldon Councillor Code of Conduct
is worth a read. Before people get too excited you have to be acting on council business as a representative of the council to be under those rules.
Selflessness - Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.

Integrity - Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other
material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.

Objectivity - Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.

Accountability - Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.

Openness - Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.

Honesty - Holders of public office should be truthful.

Leadership - Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.
Maldon's basic councillor allowance is £5,053.70 (including broadband allowance). That's about £4.80 per hour if you do an average 20 hours of council work a week (which is easy to exceed) and is taxable (including National Insurance). If you are on benefits it is taken away from your Universal Credit.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
rumpelstilzchen

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

If Morris does read this thread I would like to congratulate him on his recent success.
Acknowledging the success of someone who you disagree with but has achieved that position in a legitimate way is the only course.
I do not agree with his stance but I will defend his right to hold that position.
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

I foresee him punching someone as is his default. could be entertaining.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

dannyno wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am He also got elected to the district council, which was an actual contested election. The results are here:

/https://www.maldon.gov.uk/download/down ... e_west.pdf

There were 3184 potential voters, turnout was 22.7%.

There were four candidates for two seats. The two independents won over the two Conservative party candidates, as has been the national trend.
Wow, Chrissy claimed second place by only 6 votes over the first Conservative candidate.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:39 am First thing to be miffed about right there: returning officer put his name as Chrissy. His abbreviation has one S.
As others have said, going to be interesting to see how he deals with everyday realpolitik in the office.
He'll try to use the supposed or actual authority of the office to do outlandish things. Abolish taxes, make the police were pink tights, demand petitions be sent to the Queen...whatever. He'll do a thousand things he or his office have absolutely no authority to do while they things he's actually responsible for doing will go undone or done bizarrely.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Gregg wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm He'll try to use the supposed or actual authority of the office to do outlandish things. Abolish taxes, make the police were pink tights, demand petitions be sent to the Queen...whatever. He'll do a thousand things he or his office have absolutely no authority to do while they things he's actually responsible for doing will go undone or done bizarrely.
This is I suspect the most likely scenario assuming he ever actually gets on a committee at all. While a lot of independent and fringe councillors do sterling work on behalf of the people they represent, there's usually a small subset of of one or two who are a bit too bat-shit crazy to ever be allowed anywhere near a decision that means anything.

They sit up the back in the Billy No Mates seat for a few meetings and then stop attending at all or 'defect' to one of the other parties just so somebody will talk to them :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Gregg wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm He'll try to use the supposed or actual authority of the office to do outlandish things.
There are pretty strong rules about ultra vires activities which will be clamped down on by the monitoring officer.

And attempting a "don't you know who I am?" with police is not advised. As a Councillor you will end up in really deep shite if you try it!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:39 pm And attempting a "don't you know who I am?" with police is not advised. As a Councillor you will end up in really deep shite if you try it!
I've always thought 'Don't you know who I am?' is the absolute worst thing you can ever say to a cop. It's only going to end one of two ways.

1) They find out or worse, you tell them, how high and mighty you are and they make sure they give you a type of special treatment you weren't expecting or

2) They take you off to the booby-hatch on a section 136 because they think you have psychotic delusions of grandeur.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm He'll try to use the supposed or actual authority of the office to do outlandish things.
There are pretty strong rules about ultra vires activities which will be clamped down on by the monitoring officer.

And attempting a "don't you know who I am?" with police is not advised. As a Councillor you will end up in really deep shite if you try it!
So, I'd say the over/under on how long it is before he's in deep shite for doing so should be measured in hours. If he can get past a traffic stop without trying it, I'll bring Chili Dog to England to pay his fine for him, in person.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
ManontheClaphamBus
Swabby
Swabby

Post by ManontheClaphamBus »

Acknowledging the success of someone who you disagree with but has achieved that position in a legitimate way is the only course.
I agree with that and am surprised that anyone based in the US would comment disparagingly on the (as yet uncommitted) acts of a District Councillor in the UK, who will not bring his country into disrepute due to the small scale nature of the system he is operating within.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

I think it is admirable when someone who disagrees with something enough to run for office, in the hopes of changing it. This is a path open to almost anyone. The public had elected unqualified single issue candidates before, and we continue. It can be a protest vote, catchy name, order in the list, or a genuine vote that gets them there. However unless they fill up the government with them, they will likely not be that productive. they can draw attention to an issue, but in this case, I doubt that will be good attention.

Time will tell, but at least he is going about something the right way this time.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

Morris was in court in August pleading Not Guilty, and is due to appear again in Feb 2020.
https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co ... own-court/
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally (Niccolo Machiavelli)...and what the FMOTL never does (He Who Knows)
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

He Who Knows wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:58 am Morris was in court in August pleading Not Guilty, and is due to appear again in Feb 2020.
https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co ... own-court/
If he’s found guilty (which I suspect he will given he posts all his grievances over YouTube and Facebook) he’ll probably be asked to resign from council. They have a code of conduct and in surprised he’s currently lasted this long.

For someone who has always bashed the council as been corrupt and full of criminals, he’s living up to it well.

Has he also taken his allowances for been a councillor? Looks like he has.

Don’t think he realises the hypocrisy.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

hucknallred wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:09 pm It's probin' time
https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co ... ve-bosses/
I’m not surprised. Councillors are expected to behave themselves and act as a force for good In their community, so say the councillor code of conduct, Chrisy is a “gobshite” who’s in it for himself.