George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Re: George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Post by Gregg »

and FFS if I leave England without getting inside Westminster Abbey someone shoot me. I lived there for a bloody year, walked past it a hundred times, went to Parliament a couple times, and never set foot in the place.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Gregg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:09 am So far my plans include Windsor, Portsmouth, Canterbury and in London I want to spend a day in the British Museum, a day at the Tower. I'm getting in 24th December and leaving 31st December.
Bear in mind, there are no national rail trains Christmas Day and Boxing Day, unless you want to go to Brighton when there is an hourly service on Boxing Day from Victoria Station. I have to keep an eye on these things as it always makes travel to Boxing Day football matches awkward. The tube and buses will be running on Boxing Day.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

Also most places will be closed on Christmas Day, including the vast majority of restaurants. Those that are open will only be for pre-booked Christmas lunch/dinner. There are also no buses, tubes or trains on Christmas Day, and very few taxis will be on the street.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Room Service it is then. Plus I can have a good day in London even if nothing is open. Just walking around will be fine.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AnOwlCalledSage

Gregg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:00 pm Room Service it is then. Plus I can have a good day in London even if nothing is open. Just walking around will be fine.
London is a good place for a sight seeing walk. even when things are closed.

All the parks are open, and you'll be close to Hyde Park. There's a bunch of nutters who do a morning swim in the Serpentine which is good for a laugh.

Peter Pan Cup
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

There is an actual website "things to do in London on Christmas Day" https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-d ... istmas-day

A few good ideas, and I think I'll be fine. I'm going to still be adjusting and jet lagged after flying overnight to get there on the 24th. I can be happy spending a day in Hyde Park and maybe someone will be spewing forth on Speaker's Corner on Boxing Day, Sunday.

All in all, I am going to have a grand time. I hope someone will drop in to join me for a meal or a pint.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Okay, for Boxing Day, which as a dirty colonial I don't even really understand, I booked a tour for Leeds Castle, Canterbury, Greenwich a river cruise back to The Embankment.
Now, can I get a cab or even better an Uber on Boxing Day at 7 AM or am I going to have to sleep in Victoria Station to make my departure?
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

Hell, I'm just outside London in Surrey though not sure if I'll be in the country for xmas at the moment but assuming I am would be good to meet up for food and foaming ale somewhere in that great metropolis,

I would imagine you'll be good for an Uber on Boxing Day, people here don't take these religious holidays seriously anymore and many Uber drivers are of a very different religion.
AnOwlCalledSage

YiamCross wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am I would imagine you'll be good for an Uber on Boxing Day, people here don't take these religious holidays seriously anymore and many Uber drivers are of a very different religion.
There will be black cabs. There always has been, even on Christmas Day. They do however add (legally) a premium onto their fares. Not sure what it is in 2021, but last time I did it (5 years ago) it was £4.

Luckily this year our Boxing Day footie match is once again away, and I don't go to away games!
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

YiamCross wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am Hell, I'm just outside London in Surrey though not sure if I'll be in the country for xmas at the moment but assuming I am would be good to meet up for food and foaming ale somewhere in that great metropolis,

I would imagine you'll be good for an Uber on Boxing Day, people here don't take these religious holidays seriously anymore and many Uber drivers are of a very different religion.
If you're in the neighborhood first pint's on me.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:01 pm
YiamCross wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am I would imagine you'll be good for an Uber on Boxing Day, people here don't take these religious holidays seriously anymore and many Uber drivers are of a very different religion.
There will be black cabs. There always has been, even on Christmas Day. They do however add (legally) a premium onto their fares. Not sure what it is in 2021, but last time I did it (5 years ago) it was £4.

Luckily this year our Boxing Day footie match is once again away, and I don't go to away games!

Thank you very much. I'd rather Black Cab than Uber.