Maurice Kirk flies to 2 years in jail

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

dannyno
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Re: Maurice Kirk flies to 2 years in jail

Post by dannyno »

When the case was resumed in October, Kirk managed to hit the headlines again by advertising to pay (or alternatively aerobatics or a pleasure flight to Lundy) a four-figure sum for witnesses. He didn't turn up to the first day of the case due to recovering from abdominal surgery. The case was delayed to the following year.

At the end of October he launched an appeal against his earlier conviction for assault.

In December he proposed to Kirstie Morgan (also a vet) while airborne, and she accepted. But he also had headsets, emergency distress beacons and radio batteries stolen from his plane while parked in a farmer's field delivering presents to his [Kirk's] 86 year old mother.

The dangerous flying case resumed in January, and Kirk admitted to having lied about claiming mechanical trouble was the cause of his stunts.

"That part of my evidence was deliberately false in order to see how the prosecution behaved," he said. "I had a legal right to land, and land I did. I do not have to give any reason to land if the law allows me to land. The case is held on one flight manoeuvre only."

He was found guilty, fined £1,500 and ordered to pay £7,707. The Western Daily Press, 16 January 1999, reported that at one point Kirk had " approached the magistrates waving his spectacles in a heated outburst. The vet, who was defending himself, told the magistrates: "You are out of your depth. I advise you to get legal advice on aviation matters." He was then threatened with contempt of court proceedings and four police officers were called to keep order in the court."

He tried to get a judicial review of his conviction for low flying, the suspension of his flying license, and his conviction for assault in June 1999, asking the High Court judge if he was a mason (apparently not) in the process. The attempt was dismissed. However, in July his appeal against the CAA's 17 year flying ban was upheld by Taunton Crown Court, who decided Kirk had no case to answer.

The Western Daily Press summarises (23 July 1999), and provides some detail of earlier antics:
Mr Kirk, aged 54, from Barry, South Wales, was grounded in January after being accused of terrifying spectators at a cider fair in Taunton.

It was claimed that the flamboyant aviator played a game of "touch and go" bringing his vintage Piper Club into land, then taking off again immediately.

It was alleged he brought the 56-year-old aircraft within 500 feet of buildings and crowds at the annual Sheppy's Cider Fair.
It was claimed that Mr Kirk's alleged aerobatics endangered himself and the fair-goers.

The Civil Aviation Authority received a number of complaints, and when Mr Kirk's log book was examined, it showed that he had made eight landings and take-offs in two and a half hours of flying.

The flying vet, known as "Captain Kirk" or "Biggles", maintained that the single-wing aircraft, which he had bought in 1978, developed an oil leak.

He was attempting to make an emergency landing at the fair, which he was entitled to do under aviation rules.

The manoeuvre was aborted when he saw the crowds, and he eventually landed at Taunton racecourse, four miles away.

After a three-day hearing in Taunton Crown court, it was decided yesterday that Mr Kirk had no case to answer. His appeal was allowed, and 13,000 fines and costs were quashed.

A delighted Mr Kirk vowed to take to the air immediately, and said: "I have not been able to pilot my plane for several months since the CAA imposed the ban.

"I will be flying tonight to celebrate. They had banned me for 17 years, and if it had remained in force I would be too old to fly ever again."

The ex-Taunton public schoolboy is no stranger to brushes with the authorities and his revelry with the late actor, Oliver Reed, became legendary.

He once had to stitch up a severe cut which Reed sustained in an incident in Guernsey.

Mr Kirk first hit the headlines when he flew a light aircraft under London's Tower Bridge.

Later, wearing top hat and tails, he parachuted to his wedding, after he had proposed to his first wife Janet, 100ft under water during a Mediterranean holiday.

He trained as a pilot in the RAF Reserve while he was studying as a vet at Bristol University.

Two years ago he escaped uninjured when his plane crashed on Brent Knoll hilltop near the M5.

Last night the CAA said it was studying details of Mr Kirk's appeal, and confirmed that the ban had been lifted.
In October, Kirk tried to get £100K costs against the CAA.

In January 2000, he was in trouble again, this time accused of "assault, criminal damage and failing to provide a breath test" the previous October. He declined to say who he would plead, and "not guilty" pleas were entered for him. He also faced a new public order offence for threatening to tip a Bristol prosecutor upside down and "use her as a money box".

On August 2 2000, the Carmarthen Journal reported:
Quick thinking vet Maurice Kirk averted a threatened air tragedy by landing his stricken aircraft safely in a Carmarthenshire field. And his skilled reaction to a potential life-or-death drama has been hailed as "absolutely superb." Returning in his mock World War One De Havilland DH2 fighter plane to its base in Withybush in Haverfordwest a mid air collision with a bird shattered his plane's propeller forcing Mr. Kirk into a daredevil landing.

He was returning from a display in the Farnborough air show and managed to bring the plane safely to ground at 5.30pm on Sunday in one of the fields of Tirbach farm in Ferryside.

"I was flying back from the Farnborough air show and when I was over the estuary between Llansteffan and Ferryside I hit what I think was a big black bird and it broke the propeller," said 55-year-old Mr. Kirk, "The circumstances caused me to focus my mind and as it was a high tide I could not land on the beach. There was no option but to land on what was a steep field." Luckily for the pilot, who works in the Barry Veterinary Hospital and has been flying for 35 years, this sort of landing was nothing new.

"This was my 14th emergency landing and when the chips are down I know what to do," he said.

His exploits won immediate praise from his friend and fellow-pilot, Ferryside man Brian Brooks.

"I heard the plane coming overhead and then I heard a loud bang and saw him altering his course. It was an absolutely superb landing and there was no damage to either the field or the plane," he said.

The pilot's skillful handling of the situation in which nobody was hurt also drew plaudits from Sgt. Jeremy John of Carmarthen police's community safety department.

"I would like to congratulate the pilot on what was a good piece of flying, and it is obviously a tribute to his flying skills that he helped avert what could have been a highly dangerous situation," he said.

Inquistive villagers flocked to take a look at the stranded aircraft before Kirk dismantles it to rebuild it at its Withybush home.
And on February 8 2001, the Bristol Post was reporting:
FLYING vet Maurice Kirk, pictured, could be forced to withdraw from an air race to Australia.

He has been advised to that the plane he was hoping to fly in the London Sydney Centenary Air Race 2001 is inappropriate because it could not be modified to carry the amount of fuel needed.

Mr Kirk has also had problems raising the sponsorship money needed.
But he says he will still enter if a sponsor is found before the competitors set off for the other side of the world on March 11.

He has another plane - a Piper Club - which he is hoping to convert to use on the trip.

It currently has a 12 gallon tank but Mr Kirk is now installing tanks which will take up to 60 gallons of fuel.

The plane was used in the D-Day landings and was believed to have been US General Patton's personal aircraft.
In March an anonymous American donor paid his entry fee.

And so it goes on.

By the way, Kirk somehow completed the trip.

Wales on Sunday, 8 April 2001:
Welsh pilot Maurice Kirk - nickname the Flying Vet - has successfully completed the Britain to Australia air race.

The 57-year-old Piper Cub only just scraped over the finish line.

"She's falling apart, " Cardiff-based Kirk said of his plane before setting off on the final leg to Sydney.
The aircraft, nicknamed the grasshopper, was sporting torn canvas on its fuselage, shattered perspex on its windshield and cracks in the propeller.

"She's got a serious oil leak and lots of instruments have packed up, " added Kirk.

Fellow racer Mark Graham said the other competitors were just glad Kirk had made it in one piece.

"It's a crazy aircraft to try and do this in, " he said. "It's underpowered, it's light and it's old and he's been flying it over some very inhospitable terrain.

"He's either a really brave guy or a lunatic."
A bit of extra biographical info from the Western Mail, 3 March 2001:
His father Dennis was a flying vet who used to visit farms in the west of England by plane in the 1940s and 1950s.

He followed in his flight path after a speeding offence caused him to lose his licence.

Since then his career has taken him from the West Country via the Channel Islands to South Wales.

Trained to fly while a member of the RAF voluntary reserve at university, his passion for flying and vintage aircraft has continued.

Married with four children, he has been flying for 35 years and as well as being a professional vet he is an aerial photographer.

He owns a De Havilland II replica - the same plane in which Welshman Lionel Rees became the first man to win a Victoria Cross in a plane during World War I - and his 90-horsepower Piper Cub.

He found the plane, which is believed to have once been used by General Patton, in a barn near Strasbourg, France, in 1975 and brought her back to Britain in a harrowing flight through blizzards.
And then we reach 2002, which we know about already.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

It's definitely not "All Creatures Great and Small", but it would make a wonderful tv series.

Better still, splice in some of Britain's other notorious cases.

In one episode he uses skywriting to guide lawful rebels to a rally. Alas, he has to have his plane trucked away, because none of the 2000+ people who had promised to cover his refueling expenses showed up.

In another, he does a slow pass over a house to photograph the roof and prove there are no thackstones. He crashes into the chimney.

And a special holiday episode sees him flying to Canada, where his makeshift smokescreen allows him to successfully extract a wrongfully persecuted fugitive and his sidekick, the ninjagoat. After that, they go to Germany to assist a second reicher with the clearance of a werecheck. This involves smashing through a bank lobby and making the exchange themselves to show how it's done. Finally, they end up in Guernsey, where Kirk uses the Magna Carta to prove he's the true owner of the island.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

And a special holiday episode sees him flying to Canada, where his makeshift smokescreen allows him to successfully extract a wrongfully persecuted fugitive and his sidekick, the ninjagoat. After that, they go to Germany to assist a second reicher with the clearance of a werecheck. This involves smashing through a bank lobby and making the exchange themselves to show how it's done. Finally, they end up in Guernsey, where Kirk uses the Magna Carta to prove he's the true owner of the island.
What? He doesn't drop in to Vancouver for a beer? Any guy that matched drinks with Oliver Reed gets a night out on my tab. As long as he sticks to beer that is.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by longdog »

Well I wouldn't let him within 100 metres of my dogs (109.361 yards in old money).
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

He sounds like a major catastrophe just waiting to happen, particularly with his poorly maintained aircraft. I'm still trying to figure out how he got through Vet school.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
King Lud
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by King Lud »

He drank with Oliver Reed; so that was two egotistical, bullying assholes.

I'm not sure why he's being given a free ride other than being an "English eccentric". He is a thoroughly unpleasant, dangerous individual. He ran a campaign that literally threatened lives while posting their names, addresses and personal details all over the internet. The threat he posed was obviously taken very seriously. Combine that with his written and physical support of the Hampstead hoax and you have one of the most despicable people written about on these boards. Not someone I would want to be in the same room as never mind have a drink with.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Since you would undoubtedly be the one paying for the drinks I don't see the point.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

With him banged up for 2 years Hampstead will be a slightly safer place. He’ll have to bite his lip when out or he’ll go straight back to jail. Do not pass go. The best thing about lifetime restraining orders.
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

SteveUK wrote:They seem suited to each other. Here’s Maurice trying to land his plane on President Bush’ farm. Then promptly tossed into the madhouse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7371790.stm
Did no one read this to find the strange connection to another of our lunatic conspiritards?

"Maurice Kirk, 62, from St Donats, Vale of Glamorgan, was arrested after he put his plane down on private land seven miles from the Crawford ranch".

Spooky or what?
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

That's why he's banned from the states. Somehow the Secret Service figured that landing a small plane seven miles from President Bush's ranch was some kind of security threat.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Burnaby49 wrote:That's why he's banned from the states. Somehow the Secret Service figured that landing a small plane seven miles from President Bush's ranch was some kind of security threat.
People can cover long distances surprisingly quickly, you know.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Maurice is back upto his old tricks whilst incarcerated.

https://butlincat.com/2018/07/18/mauric ... 8-archive/
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
rosy

Post by rosy »

He recently attempted to claim damages from South Wales Police for mattes arising out of his 2009 acquittal on firearms charges. Amongst other things revealed in this citation is that Kirk offered substantial rewards for the home addresses of police officers and civilian staff, and the names of the schools and clubs attended by their children. 6800 pages of evidence later and a lot of incidents - not least Mr Kirk attempting to perform a citizen's arrest on one of the witnesses after they'd given evidence (para 62) - his claim was denied.
“Mr Kirk's problem is with people. He combines independence of spirit and a passion for justice with a flaming temper and complete insensitivity to the feelings of others. He sees conspiracies under every bush and believes on principle that all members of the police and legal profession are dishonest and corrupt. He can be abrasive with animal owners and abusive - sometimes violent - towards any of the substantial number of people whom he regards as enemies of justice. The result of this explosive mixture of admirable and less admirable qualities has been a long series of incidents which have brought Mr Kirk into conflict with the law.”
The Claimant [Kirk] is not a reliable witness, for reasons given above, and where there is a conflict of evidence between his evidence and that of SWP, I prefer SWP’s evidence. His claims at this trial in particular about the nature of the gun have differed from his pleaded case and in some respects from the way he presented his case in the crown court. This too has an adverse effect on my view of his reliability...
https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2021/14.html
morrand

Post by morrand »

rosy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:46 pm He recently attempted to claim damages from South Wales Police for mattes arising out of his 2009 acquittal on firearms charges. Amongst other things revealed in this citation is that Kirk offered substantial rewards for the home addresses of police officers and civilian staff, and the names of the schools and clubs attended by their children.
There is an excellent phrasing in para 49, concerning some photographs of him posing with the gun:
...I can see how they could have been intended by him as grim or inappropriate humour but, as I shall go on to consider, I can also see how SWP would understandably have a sense of humour failure when it comes to such jokes made by someone acting in a disturbing manner towards police and others and with apparent access to a working machine gun.
A "sense of humour failure"! I'll remember that one.
---
Morrand
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

This is the bit that amused me:
[DC Richard Jones] arrested the Claimant at about 8.15am, carried out the urgent interview (in which the Claimant did not disclose the whereabouts of the gun or ammunition)
I get the feeling that if he had, then his bail wouldn't have been revoked (as the grounds for that appear to be that the police thought he still had access to a weapon) and he'd sold it 11 months before. Now, it would still result in a trial because selling is an indictable offence, but the buyer appears to have not been prosecuted because he co-operated from the moment of being contacted. Pig headed idiot!

In the "you learn a new thing every day" category, I'm indebted to the judgement for finding out that you cannot call a witness if your purpose in calling the witness is to cross-examine them. After reading that line, it is actually quite obvious, but I'd never thought of it before. Renders most of EWE's calling Uncle Tom Cobley and all demands moot.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:25 am I get the feeling that if he had, then his bail wouldn't have been revoked (as the grounds for that appear to be that the police thought he still had access to a weapon) and he'd sold it 11 months before. Now, it would still result in a trial because selling is an indictable offence, but the buyer appears to have not been prosecuted because he co-operated from the moment of being contacted. Pig headed idiot!
If I'm reading it right he sold the gun on as legally deactivated knowing the deactivation paperwork was bogus and the self-deactivation not sufficient to render the gun irretrievably destroyed as a viable basis for reactivation.

I know the firearms act contains a lot of offences which are absolute or near absolute but if the gun was bought in good faith, with what appeared to be a genuine deactivation certificate, a potential prosecution of the buyer on a 'technicality' is unlikely to pass the "in the public interest" test.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

longdog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:48 pm If I'm reading it right he sold the gun on as legally deactivated knowing the deactivation paperwork was bogus and the self-deactivation not sufficient to render the gun irretrievably destroyed as a viable basis for reactivation.

I know the firearms act contains a lot of offences which are absolute or near absolute but if the gun was bought in good faith, with what appeared to be a genuine deactivation certificate, a potential prosecution of the buyer on a 'technicality' is unlikely to pass the "in the public interest" test.
Agreed. It was Mr Cooper immediately handing the gun over to a registered gun dealer immediately it was brought to his attention by the CAA that appears to have saved him.

I still think Mr Kirk would have been prosecuted, but I doubt whether they'd have asked for him to have been remanded in custody if he'd told them straight away that he had sold it 11 months prior and to whom. Instead the police had to infer it from a "I seem to remember he sold it" from Mrs Kirk and do extra investigations.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:52 pm I still think Mr Kirk would have been prosecuted, but I doubt whether they'd have asked for him to have been remanded in custody if he'd told them straight away that he had sold it 11 months prior and to whom. Instead the police had to infer it from a "I seem to remember he sold it" from Mrs Kirk and do extra investigations.
I can't imagine the real possibility of an unaccounted for machine gun is going to help your chances of getting bail.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

longdog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:10 pm I can't imagine the real possibility of an unaccounted for machine gun is going to help your chances of getting bail.
Kirk is a puzzling character. He delights in belligerent and provocative behaviour, actively drawing himself to the attention of Police with tactics which he knows will raise public safety concerns. Eg "Photographs of him holding the gun with captions such as “dressed for Cardiff Court and a level playing field”, or “Glorious 12th - crooked lawyer shoot” were (he said) either put up to wind up SWP who were keeping him under 24-hour surveillance under MAPPA] or as attempts at humour."

But when he is inevitably arrested or investigated, and when the inevitable consequences fall, he reacts furiously as if he's a victim of persecution by a police state, intruding upon his life without justification. It's as if he sees the whole thing as a schoolyard game, and the authorities are "cheating" because they know he isn't really a risk to anyone. But on the many occasions where his reckless antics have been overlooked on such grounds, he then redoubles his efforts to gain notoriety. There's probably some category of personality disorder in DSM-V, but I think he's a bully and drama queen.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Two words I think.... "Drama" and "Queen".