Urgent Request!

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Urgent Request!

Post by Gregg »

Do your collector coins also have circulating versions like the US President Dollar Coins or State Quarters? You know, a "special" coin that they make in a pure silver proof for big money but they make millions of them in the regular circulation mint and put them out to banks for daily use?

If they do, I MUST have one of the William Shakespeare £2 coins and will trade a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey or some other treasure for it.

Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Urgent Request!

Post by Burnaby49 »

Try Pottapaug1938, he's a coin collector.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

https://www.changechecker.org/coin/166/ ... ories.aspx

I collect coins but nothing modern. There are plenty available though for less than the price of a bottle of whiskey.

I don't even recognise modern British coins without a magnifying glass any more so I usually just use banknotes and give the change to beggars or charity. Well, that's not entirely true, sometimes I am that old man in the queue in front of you taking ages to pick through a fistful of coins for the right money, getting rid of as many small coins as possible.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Siegfried Shrink wrote:https://www.changechecker.org/coin/166/ ... ories.aspx

I collect coins but nothing modern. There are plenty available though for less than the price of a bottle of whiskey.

I don't even recognise modern British coins without a magnifying glass any more so I usually just use banknotes and give the change to beggars or charity. Well, that's not entirely true, sometimes I am that old man in the queue in front of you taking ages to pick through a fistful of coins for the right money, getting rid of as many small coins as possible.
You bastard! You're the doddering old fool in front of me almost every time I'm in line to purchase something. Then, when you're done, I'm the doddering old fool blocking eveybody else.

One small mercy. We no longer have pennies so we don't get very elderly women (it always seemed to be women) trying to pay, slowly and carefully, with a purse full of pennies and constantly losing count.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I have 3 and a start on a 4th one gallon glass bottles of US pennies, about 20 years worth. I have no idea how many pennies are in a gallon but someday I'm gonna save enough of them to buy a car!
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
SoLongCeylon

Post by SoLongCeylon »

All my money dealings are contactless now. I am never in contact with any of it as it all goes on paying for two kids at University.
katiHWB
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by katiHWB »

you can pick them up on ebay ;) ... got to say I've never noticed one in my change, but my brother's a bus driver (I can ask him to look out for some for you if you want?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Commemorat ... 2610950890

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Commemorat ... 2610947670
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote:Try Pottapaug1938, he's a coin collector.
Sorry -- I've never seen one of these.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:I have 3 and a start on a 4th one gallon glass bottles of US pennies, about 20 years worth. I have no idea how many pennies are in a gallon but someday I'm gonna save enough of them to buy a car!
The pennies which are dates 1981 or before, and those dated 1982 which weigh 3.1 grams (not 2.5 grams) are worth about twice their face value as scrap. It's still illegal to melt them; but they are very tough to find in circulation, and if you spend them, some speculator will simply snap them up and put them in THEIR hoard.

Eventually, as in the case of US silver coins, it will probably become legal to melt them.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Gregg wrote:I have 3 and a start on a 4th one gallon glass bottles of US pennies, about 20 years worth. I have no idea how many pennies are in a gallon but someday I'm gonna save enough of them to buy a car!
Good luck on living that long. I took one of my gallon paint cans of pennies to one of those cash counting collection machines at the grocery store and wound up with almost $70.

One historical note - we started keeping pennies many years ago. Our pistol shooting team had a machine made made that would flatten, cut and then swage a penny into .38 and .44 gas checks for our wadcutter target-practice bullets. Even back then factory gas checks cost at least $0.02 each and with the amount of shooting we did it was worth the little bit of elbow grease to make our own.

The coin guys around here could say more accurately, but at one time I heard pennies were worth more melted down than they were as currency.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The coin guys around here could say more accurately, but at one time I heard pennies were worth more melted down than they were as currency.
That's one of the reasons Canada stopped making them and they are out of circulation. Even way, way back in 1973 when I worked at the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa this was true. I was told that there was more than a penny's worth of metal in each penny. Mostly the copper I believe. The government kept cutting back on the copper content but never got ahead of the game. Producing pennies was a permanent losing proposition because no matter how many the mint made there were never enough. People Like Roy Bean, Gregg and every grandparent in the country took them out of circulation faster than they could be produced.

The loss of the penny has been almost entirely beneficial. My wallet is much lighter and uncluttered as a result. That was probably one of the reasons people tossed them into jars. They were a niusance but essentially worthless and served little purpose. There was no negative public response to removing them from circulation. Every once in a while the media tries to start an exposé about how retailers are making millions by rounding change in their favour but, if true, nobody seems to care.

longdog

Post by longdog »

Burnaby49 wrote:There was no negative public response to removing them from circulation.
That may be so but Canada doesn't have the hysterical Daily Mail and a generation of coffin-dodgers who've prevented full implementation of the metric system and would happily go back to pre-decimal currency. The sort of people who don't give a crap what happens to the economy post Brexit as long as they get a blue passport.

Personally speaking I'd happily see the demise of 'copper' coins (actually plated steel) because they're more hassle than they're worth. Once they're out of my pocket they go in bag which I drop off once a month at which ever charity shop I happen to be taking surplus DVDs to. The days when I could be bothered to bend down to pick up a 1p or 2p piece ended a long while ago.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
morrand

Post by morrand »

Gregg wrote:Do your collector coins also have circulating versions like the US President Dollar Coins or State Quarters? You know, a "special" coin that they make in a pure silver proof for big money but they make millions of them in the regular circulation mint and put them out to banks for daily use?

If they do, I MUST have one of the William Shakespeare £2 coins and will trade a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey or some other treasure for it.
According to this official chart, there were about 4.5 million of each of the three Shakespeare £2 coins produced in 2016, which sounds consistent with them going into circulation rather than being strictly collectibles. So they're probably around somewhere, though it's possible they wound up in about the same place as all those Presidential dollars wound up here (jelly jars and curio shelves, mostly).

I do find it curious that mintage of the Tragedies design outnumbered the other two by about 1 M each. What, if anything, that says about the national mood, I don't know.
---
Morrand
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
The pennies which are dates 1981 or before, and those dated 1982 which weigh 3.1 grams (not 2.5 grams) are worth about twice their face value as scrap. It's still illegal to melt them; but they are very tough to find in circulation, and if you spend them, some speculator will simply snap them up and put them in THEIR hoard.

Eventually, as in the case of US silver coins, it will probably become legal to melt them.
If you happen to have a little crucible (and I do), it might be illegal to melt them down, but I don't think there's a lot of danger of getting caught. If the specific metal content could be used, tossing in a few fittings and odd piece of pipe should change that. I've also heard that the nickels are worth a lot more melted down and some eccentric fool with more money than cents (pun intended) has a vault with a million bucks in rolled nickels in it.
wanglepin

Post by wanglepin »

If they do, I MUST have one of the William Shakespeare £2 coins
https://www.coincraft.com/
longdog

Post by longdog »

You know how when somebody says the name William Shakespeare or you read it somewhere you get that mental picture of...

Well for some reason I get...

I can only think that at some point I fried a few of the brain cells in the 'William' folder with drink, drugs or minor head injuries. :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Want to reorient those brain cells once and for all?

Picture Hamlet

as played by Shatner

Confusion gone.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I! Knew! Him! I knew him well, Bones!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

To be........or not to...be. That....is the......question.
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
longdog

Post by longdog »