Urgent Request!

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Urgent Request!

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:I have 3 and a start on a 4th one gallon glass bottles of US pennies, about 20 years worth. I have no idea how many pennies are in a gallon but someday I'm gonna save enough of them to buy a car!
I said: the pennies which are dates 1981 or before, and those dated 1982 which weigh 3.1 grams (not 2.5 grams) are worth about twice their face value as scrap. It's still illegal to melt them; but they are very tough to find in circulation, and if you spend them, some speculator will simply snap them up and put them in THEIR hoard. Eventually, as in the case of US silver coins, it will probably become legal to melt them.

Gregg then said: If you happen to have a little crucible (and I do), it might be illegal to melt them down, but I don't think there's a lot of danger of getting caught. If the specific metal content could be used, tossing in a few fittings and odd piece of pipe should change that. I've also heard that the nickels are worth a lot more melted down and some eccentric fool with more money than cents (pun intended) has a vault with a million bucks in rolled nickels in it.

Now, I say: that was true of nickels for a while; but the scrap value of the nickel is currently a hair over 4.1 cents, so the guy in the vault will have to wait many moons to see a return on his "investment". Canadian nickels, on the other hand, are worth 5.4 cents; but eve if I could find a place to sell them, the wholesale buy price, for the $30 CDN or so in rolled nickels which await my next trip to Canada, does not justify my not spending on my next trip north of the border.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Coin collecting is easy with the internet; very competitive on the dealer side, a buyer's market. I've been a dealer since 1999, authorized NGC, PCGS, PMG, CAC, etc.. If you have trouble finding something let me know and I will try to point you in the right direction.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Number Six wrote:Coin collecting is easy with the internet; very competitive on the dealer side, a buyer's market. I've been a dealer since 1999, authorized NGC, PCGS, PMG, CAC, etc.. If you have trouble finding something let me know and I will try to point you in the right direction.
Thanks! If you PM me your business name, I'll try to look you up when I am next at a coin show.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Finally, FINALLY, you American might be getting with the program and all it took was a global pandemic;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/perspect ... index.html

You might even get ahead of the game and leapfrog Canada by getting rid of the nickel too but I doubt it. The United States seems too irrationally obsessed with its pennies. Canada's experience was that within a few weeks of eliminating the penny from circulation we could barely remember that it had ever existed. If anyone was unhappy to see it go I didn't read about it. Some media tried to gin up outrage how the rounding method left the odd penny in the retailer's pockets but the apathetic Canadian public was totally unconcerned about the possibility of being cheated out of a dollar or two every year. I've certainly never missed it.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm Finally, FINALLY, you American might be getting with the program and all it took was a global pandemic;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/perspect ... index.html

You might even get ahead of the game and leapfrog Canada by getting rid of the nickel too but I doubt it. The United States seems too irrationally obsessed with its pennies. Canada's experience was that within a few weeks of eliminating the penny from circulation we could barely remember that it had ever existed. If anyone was unhappy to see it go I didn't read about it. Some media tried to gin up outrage how the rounding method left the odd penny in the retailer's pockets but the apathetic Canadian public was totally unconcerned about the possibility of being cheated out of a dollar or two every year. I've certainly never missed it.
On my post-2012 trips to Canada, I find that "you win some, you lose some". Each individual price is not rounded up or down; only the final price is rounded up or down, and that's done according to a prescribed formula. Meanwhile, Americans act as if our dollar bill, cent and nickel were divinely ordained through George Washington himself; and many radio commentators boost ratings with mindless rants like "you know that the corporations will round up every price, and won't lower any; and your money will go into the pockets of executives and stockholders...." My only gripe, about Canada dropping the penny, is that I have a bunch left over from a 2009 trip, and don't know what to do with them.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Cash them in at any Canadian bank on your next trip. I have a similar problem in Britain, I seem to end up with paper currency I brought home from a a prior trip that is no longer valid currency. Happened with a five pound note a few trips ago. A bank exchanged it for a valid one.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs