Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Re: The comedy court of Common Law

Post by Gregg »

Pain Au Chocolate

*drops the mic*
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
mufc1959
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by mufc1959 »

The CLC has been rather quiet for a while and now its website has disappeared.

A new website is promised, w/c 20 September. Still waiting...

https://www.commonlawcourt.com/
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

mufc1959 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm The CLC has been rather quiet for a while and now its website has disappeared.

A new website is promised, w/c 20 September. Still waiting...

The domain expires on October 12. He'll have had a renewal reminder for it. If there were big plans I'd expect it to have been renewed by now.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

hucknallred wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:18 pm The domain expires on October 12. He'll have had a renewal reminder for it. If there were big plans I'd expect it to have been renewed by now.
Which means it'll be up for grabs if he doesn't :thinking: :snicker:
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:31 pm
Which means it'll be up for grabs if he doesn't :thinking: :snicker:
I was thinking the same, but I suspect it will go up for sale at a silly price, rather than be 'available' at the standard rate.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Once the registration lapses it goes back into the pool, reverts to being the 'property' of ICANN and the price is only dependent on what registrar you use. I'll set a reminder and see if I can snag it for a tenner.

It's not likely to be a very valuable domain as the number of delusional nutcases wanting it is limited.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

longdog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:05 pm I'll set a reminder and see if I can snag it for a tenner.
Excellent wheeze, we could have fun with this and save a few fools from disaster. Maybe a landing page in the usual bombastic style, offering FMOTL strategies to evade taxes, utility bills, traffic penalties, eviction and repossession etc. But when a visitor clicks into a particular topic page, they get the real advice - "Don't try it, it won't work, here are examples of failure". Warn them against bullshit Magnum Carter myths, urge them to seek advice from reliable sources, maybe links to CAB etc.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

Excellent wheeze, we could have fun with this and save a few fools from disaster.
Or just part some fools from their money.... :whistle:
longdog

Post by longdog »

John Uskglass wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am
Excellent wheeze, we could have fun with this and save a few fools from disaster.
If only I had the morals of a rattlesnake I would be substantially richer than I am. Parting freetards from their money seems to present no great challenges unless it's for taxes, car insurance, utility bills etc.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
rosy

Post by rosy »

longdog wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 am
John Uskglass wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:19 am
If only I had the morals of a rattlesnake I would be substantially richer than I am. Parting freetards from their money seems to present no great challenges unless it's for taxes, car insurance, utility bills etc.
Likewise. If I were corrupt, I could make a good living fleecing the gullible. Instead I am poor and virtuous :mrgreen:

My ex-husband as you may remember got sucked into Peter of England's con, though I managed to talk him out of it before he signed anything. Seeing how easily he fell down the rabbit hole was scary, but it wouldn't be difficult for anyone amoral to get him and people like him to fall for a similar scam.
longdog

Post by longdog »

It doesn't seem to be difficult to get people to fall for the same scam... Repeatedly.
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

Aaaand... it's back.

A massive fail is that the Login isn't working as it puts my sockpuppet email address into upper case rather than lower and won't let me change it back. The login must be case-sensitive, thus preventing anyone with lower case letters in their email address from logging in.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

Worryingly they are now flogging GCMAF.
https://clc.healthcare/product-categor ... ealthcare/

https://clc.healthcare/

What I'm not clear on is whether this is an offence in the UK, and if so who to report it to.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

mufc1959 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 pm Aaaand... it's back.

And renewed for 12 months. Our plans are foiled.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

mufc1959 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 pm A massive fail is that the Login isn't working as it puts my sockpuppet email address into upper case rather than lower and won't let me change it back. The login must be case-sensitive, thus preventing anyone with lower case letters in their email address from logging in.
It's just the font he's chosen, lower case appears as smaller upper case. In any case (see what I did there?), email addresses aren't case sensitive.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Aaaand he doesn't have a payment processor for the Merch.
Instead you have to do an international bank transfer to CL Printing Services.
rosy

Post by rosy »

John Uskglass wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:17 am Worryingly they are now flogging GCMAF.

What I'm not clear on is whether this is an offence in the UK, and if so who to report it to.
If they claim it can cure cancer, then its a breach of the Cancer Act 1939. If they claim only to prevent cancer, it's less clear-cut. It may be a breach of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 or Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Reports should go to your local Trading Standards.
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

hucknallred wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:30 am Aaaand he doesn't have a payment processor for the Merch.
Instead you have to do an international bank transfer to CL Printing Services.
So it looks like the CLC Currency via BeepExtra didn't pan out as he'd anticipated then.
longdog

Post by longdog »

John Uskglass wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:17 am Worryingly they are now flogging GCMAF.

Yes it is if it is sold as a healthcare product but they very wisely have described it as "for research purposes" which gets them off the hook.

However other quack remedies on the site like CBD and "hydrogen enriched" and "deuterium depleted" water that do make medical claims. I will be reporting them tomorrow to trading standards, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and anybody else I can think of.

ETA: Actually that might be difficult as I can't find any contact details that would give a location. The nearest I can get is that quack "nutritionist" Shem Allenson is listed and she's in the Isle of Man. She may or may not be behind the flogging of the GcMAF / Magic Water.

That being said they only seem to accept payment by something called BeepXtra which is A) Beyond sketchy and B) Doesn't really seem to be a payment portal anyway... Just a loyalty card scheme (scam?) boasting a whopping two dozen, at most, outlets signed up in the UK. Most of them crank alt.med bollocks. Looks like you can buy "points" with real money to spend which I seem to recall is of dubious legality but I don't have time to check at the moment.

Also the prices seem to be way out of the range of the sort of near destitute cretins who sign up to the Kommon Lore Klown Kort.

I think I'll just leave them to fail abysmally to be honest.
Last edited by longdog on Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

That being said they only seem to accept payment by something called BeepXtra
Yes, that's the case. I went through to the checkout and that was the only option. It's like they don't want your money!