The comedy court of Common Law

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: The comedy court of Common Law

Post by longdog »

I'm not saying a FMOTL isn't capable by definition of holding an FAC/SGC I'm just saying it's unlikely the truly devoted crank would be able to act like a normal human being long enough to get one.

In any event... Why would a true freeman ask permission from the state for something he could do anyway? Well... Apart from the fact illegal guns are likely to be well outside of their price range and they'd have nowhere to practice using them?
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
longdog

Post by longdog »

And that's the LEGAL ones. There are surely more illegal guns in some counties than there are guns of any kind in all of Britain.
Am I not right in thinking that in the USA there's not really such a thing as an illegal gun. A gun might be illegally held but there's not (AFAIK) much stopping a more or less respectable person buying a gun legally and then selling it to pretty much anybody he chooses.

In the UK guns are harder to make 'disappear' as the certificate lists the guns as they are bought and sold. If an FAC holder 'loses' a firearm the police are going to find out at renewal and then the excrement will hit the air circulator. The best the FAC holder can hope for is a charge of failing to safeguard the gun and a massive fine.
I may be wrong, but I'm thinking the average Briton would be shocked at the prevalence of guns in America.
I think the general opinion in the UK is that the US gun laws are insane so perhaps shocked isn't the right word.
Last edited by longdog on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
longdog

Post by longdog »

DP
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

longdog wrote:Am I not right in thinking that in the USA there's not really such a thing as an illegal gun. A gun might be illegally held but there's not (AFAIK) much stopping a more or less respectable person buying a gun legally and then selling it to pretty much anybody he chooses.
There are some limits on the more insane types of weapons, and the states' laws can vary (which can get people traveling with guns across state lines without doing their research into serious trouble if caught). Federal laws restrict the ownership of fully automatic weapons, sawed-off shotguns and rifles, and other guns that no civilian would have the slightest legal use for. Basically, building or buying a machine gun will get you serious scrutiny from men in government-issued suits.
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

Gregg wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm Our 2nd largest grocery chain is WalMart, who also sells or used to sell rifles and shotguns because nothing goes with a Coke, a hot dogs and chips like an AKS Rifle. (Does Walmart sell groceries in the UK? If not, imagine a gun aisle at Tesco, next to the produce)
Yes, Walmart do sell groceries, they took over our ASDA sdupermarket chain a few years ago. Not a store I frequent now, the last time I bought meat in one of their stores it was of pretty dubious quality compared to others. The only 'advantage' is that they are on the cheap side of middling, not as cheap as Aldi or Lidl though.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Gregg wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm But, I'm not sure our UK members understand how many guns there are in America, and how easy it is to get one, both legally, and illegally. Most anyone without a criminal record can buy as many handguns as he wants, with a waiting period. Almost anyone can buy a rifle, just by walking in and paying for it. Our 2nd largest grocery chain is WalMart, who also sells or used to sell rifles and shotguns because nothing goes with a Coke, a hot dogs and chips like an AKS Rifle. (Does Walmart sell groceries in the UK? If not, imagine a gun aisle at Tesco, next to the produce)

And that's the LEGAL ones. There are surely more illegal guns in some counties than there are guns of any kind in all of Britain. East Los Angeles, Newark NJ and Detroit are probably better armed than some countries. If you pulled over 100 random cars in Miami Florida, you'd find a handgun in more than half of them. I have a friend who showe me his gun vault, and entire room sized safe in his house, with more than 250 firearms in it. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking the average Briton would be shocked at the prevalence of guns in America.
People like us who regularly converse on Q or Fogbow, we know about it. And we're shocked, saddened, unable to grasp the national psyche behind it. Clearly it's gone too far to dream of abolition or strong restriction of private gun ownership, but the hysterical resistance to modest registration, regulation or licencing is deplorable. The US seems to be held hostage to the fanatical 2nd Amendment and RWNJ Brigade, urged on by propaganda and bribes from arms manufacturers.

Somewhat OT, but the best option I've heard suggested was mandatory third party liability insurance. It seems astonishing that most States require licenced operator competence and liability insurance for cars (where harm to others is an undesired accidental outcome), but don't require this for guns (which are mostly intended and used to kill). It's a tragedy with no evident end in sight. :(
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
longdog

Post by longdog »

BoomerSooner17 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 am
longdog wrote:Am I not right in thinking that in the USA there's not really such a thing as an illegal gun. A gun might be illegally held but there's not (AFAIK) much stopping a more or less respectable person buying a gun legally and then selling it to pretty much anybody he chooses.
There are some limits on the more insane types of weapons, and the states' laws can vary (which can get people traveling with guns across state lines without doing their research into serious trouble if caught). Federal laws restrict the ownership of fully automatic weapons, sawed-off shotguns and rifles, and other guns that no civilian would have the slightest legal use for. Basically, building or buying a machine gun will get you serious scrutiny from men in government-issued suits.
And yet some US gun laws are more restrictive than the UK. Silencers, or moderators if you're being pedantic, require an FBI background check but in the UK they are considered hearing protection for FAC holders, and are almost always allowed, and for shotguns there's no extra requirements at all.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Hercule Parrot wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 am
People like us who regularly converse on Q or Fogbow, we know about it. And we're shocked, saddened, unable to grasp the national psyche behind it. Clearly it's gone too far to dream of abolition or strong restriction of private gun ownership, but the hysterical resistance to modest registration, regulation or licencing is deplorable. The US seems to be held hostage to the fanatical 2nd Amendment and RWNJ Brigade, urged on by propaganda and bribes from arms manufacturers.
Here in Ohio, perhaps ten or fifteen years ago, the state proposed a requirement that all handguns sold in the state must be sold along with a trigger lock. There was no hint of restricting the purchase of the handgun itself, just that the dealer must bundle it with a lock. The law wouldn't have even mandated the USE of the lock.

The NRA came down on it like a ton of bricks and spent a lot of money to defeat the measure. It failed.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

This gun policy discussion is both off-topic and veering into prohibited political debate, but I thought our UK members might be interested in what one conservative American publication thinks of the UK's laws:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... se-rights/
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

British knife laws are quite silly, I have carried a sheath knife when I was a boy Scout and a pocket knife of some description ever since, I probably use it several tiumes a day for normal cutting purposes and am as unlikely now to go round stabbing people as I ever was, the problem is the people,, not the implements.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 pm This gun policy discussion is both off-topic and veering into prohibited political debate, but I thought our UK members might be interested in what one conservative American publication thinks of the UK's laws:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... se-rights/
I don't think the discussion of gun laws in the UK is veering into prohibited territory at all as in the UK it's not even close to being a contentious issue. By UK standards I'm a gun-buff and I've owned many fine firearms in my time and I don't think there should be a complete ban on semi-auto centre-fire rifles and pistols but... And it's a big but... I'm aware that the vast majority of UK residents support the bans and would probably support even tighter regulation.

I can happily, and politely, discuss UK gun laws with people of a differing opinion but I'm 99.99% sure I'd agree with them that the US laws are insane.

As for the national review link I really don't see what point it's trying to make. No... You can't carry an offensive weapon in the UK... So what? That just marks us out as a civilised society. The fact that criminals DO carry offensive weapons is neither here nor there. Even if people could carry 'assault' knives for self defence that wouldn't make much difference as 99.99% of people have no idea how to fight with a knife in the first place. There's a relatively well known adage that carrying a knife is at least as likely to result in it ending up stuck in its owner as anybody else.

Incidentally... I've carried a knife on my person for the best part of four decades and I've been searched and even arrested by the polis quite a few times. They've never had a problem with it because it's a Swiss army knife with a folding 2 3/4 inch blade and therefore deemed legal as long as I don't actually use it as an offensive weapon.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

This is not a gun store, nor is it the arms room of a police force or infantry regiment. It is the basement gun room of a US gun enthusiast. Apparently one who aspires to take over a third world country someday.

I'm not sure it would be remotely possible for this to exist in the UK, or most of the world.

All I'm gonna say....
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Gregg wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 pm This is not a gun store, nor is it the arms room of a police force or infantry regiment. It is the basement gun room of a US gun enthusiast. Apparently one who aspires to take over a third world country someday.

I'm not sure it would be remotely possible for this to exist in the UK, or most of the world.

All I'm gonna say....
I won't lie... I'm jealous. :snicker:

I'd have more shotguns if it were my collection... Can't beat a nice 12 bore as far as I'm concerned. :mrgreen:

Note for the worried: I no longer have any guns and the only animal I've ever killed with a gun is a hare the person I was with wounded and left me to chase half way across the county to finish off. He was most offended when I said I was going to keep it for din-dins and that he was a complete and utter wanker who I never wanted to see again. 8)
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Gregg wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 pm This is not a gun store, nor is it the arms room of a police force or infantry regiment. It is the basement gun room of a US gun enthusiast. Apparently one who aspires to take over a third world country someday.

All I'm gonna say....
that's the RFD Air Force Regiment armament. who are you kidding
longdog

Post by longdog »

SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

The numpties have set up a snappily named 'common law support group for the common law court for the people uk'.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1093633154119458/

Its the normal collection of tripe. People asking how they enforce this or that after getting a judgement , 'registering' some papers or being duped into the £20 card scam.
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

It is like starting a support group for dead people.

There is no possible support apart from possibly saying "You have learned a valuable lesson in not believing everything you read on the internet. Consider your money well spent, avoiding nonsense may save you far more in the fuuture"
longdog

Post by longdog »

I suspect most dead people can spell better than that bunch of barely literate, racist halfwits.

"i hadnt herd abot comun law til larst wek but naw i hav wotchded sum vidios on utube an red a faysbuk pag i tink im a legul expurt"
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

The CLC seems to have gone a bit quiet since its brush with the SCRA solicitors, I note that they have removed the letter and their defiant response from the website. What with that and claimants getting round to asking how the judgements are to be enforced, you wonder how folk can be so ungrateful?

TheRambler
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

That great idea didn't last long. Surprisingly. :snicker: And I'll bet most of them are still trying to wonder WHY it didn't work. Slow on the uptake is the description I think that applies best.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.