Edward William Ellis, Common Law QC

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Re: Edward William Ellis, Common Law QC

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Albert Haddock wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:36 pm
AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:52 amI was also in the middle of the poll tax riot.
It wasn't a riot, it was a community charge.
Okay Albert, I stand, well sit, corrected. :D
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Exciting.

EWE has to turn himself in to Worcester magistrates tomorrow answer bail for his assault charge arising from when he was kicked out of Michelle Davies appeal against passing herself off as an osteopath whilst suspended.

Will he turn up or will it be "you'll never take me alive copper"?

"He does not fear death. He can account to God."

Well, apart from the bits where he's bore false witness against his neighbour, which comes in at number 9 on the big list of things not to do.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am "you'll never take me alive copper"?
Can't imagine EWE as Big Vern.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am "He does not fear death. He can account to God."
That assumes he's not going to be subject to a pearly gates admission denial fraud from St Pete.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

"He does not fear death. He can account to God."
The full text is frankly horrifying.
The Aggravating Factors are that he has End Stage Kidney Failure with Life Saving Blood Cleaning Dialysis Treatment on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Case Complication is that the Blood Cleaning is not complete. The body dumps the Unremoved Toxins into the flesh. The NHS cannot treat it. The Equity Lawyer locates the Toxin Dumps cuts the skin, and massages the flesh to release the toxins. The body cannot repair the scar damage fast enough. The Scar Damage is reducing his capacity to sweat. He is on the Transplant List. He needs an Organ Match before the Case Complication kills him. He does not fear death. He can account to God.
You can see why the judicial system finds it difficult to work out how to deal with him appropriately. One way or another he's obviously a very sick man.
longdog

Post by longdog »

The Equity Lawyer locates the Toxin Dumps cuts the skin, and massages the flesh to release the toxins.
That sounds rather similar to delusional parasitosis. Maybe not the parasite bit but definitely the delusional bit.

Details vary among those who have the condition, though it typically manifests as a crawling and pin-pricking sensation that is most commonly described as involving perceived parasites crawling upon or burrowing into the skin, sometimes accompanied by an actual physical sensation (known as formication). Affected people may injure themselves in attempts to be rid of the "parasites"; resulting skin damage includes excoriation, bruising and cuts, as well as damage caused from using chemical substances and obsessive cleansing routines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_parasitosis

I can't see that sort of behaviour is going to do his chances of a transplant any favours. It doesn't exactly paint him as the sort of patient that is going to take care of their general health and get the maximum use out of a kidney. That being said I don't suppose a man of his age is ever going to get near the top of the list anyway. He's getting well into the age group where major operations are too risky except in dire emergency.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

longdog wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:38 pm That being said I don't suppose a man of his age is ever going to get near the top of the list anyway. He's getting well into the age group where major operations are too risky except in dire emergency.
I'd not really thought about that part, more considering the effects of his illness on his health, but you have a significant point there. We are not talking about a 48 year old with 20 years of working life ahead of them, who stands a good chance of fully recovering from the surgery.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
rk89
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Post by rk89 »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:00 am
rk89 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:30 pm I wonder if he will successfully appeal the Judge's ruling. I would say that given he is obviously incapacitated, certain steps should have been taken to ensure a fair process, and the Judge just say 'I don't know...' on that front.
The obvious incapacity didn't prevent him from travelling to Worcester with a heavy bag and assaulting a member of the court staff. Whilst he clearly does need dialysis, and this will be a strain, he seems to overegg it when it's beneficial to his case, and it's not a problem when it isn't.
I was thinking more about his capacity to conduct the legal proceedings. It is fairly apparent that he doesn't have that capacity and someone should have been there representing him. Capacity is issue specific - e.g. he can probably decide if he wants an ice cream, but to conduct a criminal defence is an entirely different matter.
AnOwlCalledSage

rk89 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 am I was thinking more about his capacity to conduct the legal proceedings. It is fairly apparent that he doesn't have that capacity and someone should have been there representing him. Capacity is issue specific - e.g. he can probably decide if he wants an ice cream, but to conduct a criminal defence is an entirely different matter.
I don't think this is true. He clearly has the ability but he has a set of beliefs that are wholly inconsistent with the law. He has had those views for decades. This is not a new degradation in his mental capacity.

This is from his 2012 SRA hearing. Note how it refers back to 2004.
The Respondent said that he challenged the evidence before the Tribunal. The function of his being in Court on each occasion was to prove the damage done by the "disqualification fraud" perpetrated against him; he had told the Courts that he was so disqualified.

In 2004 he had discovered Court corruption and other corruption in the justice system and had "blown the whistle". As a result his Practising Certificate had been terminated and he had been offered in writing another Practising Certificate on condition that he dropped the corruption cases. He had ignored the offer and carried on getting the proof of corruption.

The Respondent went on to name a number of public figures who were involved in the alleged corruption and detailed his part in events in the public arena and the demise of various public figures. In his view he had obtained evidence of corruption and made a lot of enemies in doing so. His appearances in Court had all been a part of his obtaining evidence of corruption, which he detailed at some length.
Now we can call him nuts, a looney, a fruitcake and all the other colloquial terms we like, but I seriously doubt it would rise to the level of mental incompetency as defined by a psychologist. A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client is not a legal diagnosis.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

He clearly has the ability but he has a set of beliefs that are wholly inconsistent with the law.
That is the point, isn't it. The law is reality, and a normal solicitor would know it, but his reality is different. Mental illness is not related to intelligence. The fact that he has normal intelligence doesn't mean he can't be mentally ill. I would diagnose delusional disorder. That's the normal diagnosis now for people with what used to be called querulant paranoia, which was the original term devised by psychiatrists in the 19th century to describe vexatious litigants. What is what EWE is.

At the appeal against his striking off in 2008, Leveson LJ was even then advising him to get help.
"Although it is a matter entirely for Mr Ellis, medical advice might assist him to commence a full reconsideration of his position on a number of issues so encouraging the view that he is entitled once more to the confidence previously reposed in him".
But the fact that he's no more mentally ill than he was 15 years ago, doesn't mean he's not mentally ill.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Canadian sovereigns have (actually 'had', the movement is dead) idiotic beliefs that seemed to some judges to be actual hallmarks of insanity, often to the point of requiring mental competency hearings. However once that hurdle was cleared they were deemed legally competent to handle their own defenses even though they were based on totally fictitious pseudolaw and clearly dead on arrival. Believing in a fantasy legal reality isn't a bar to self-representation.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

The frustrating thing is that given his multiple issues any custodial sentence is quite likely to exacerbate his condition without extensive and possibly prohibitively complex arrangements being put in place. Even then there would be no guarantee that he would cooperate, leading to further deterioration.

Whilst he wastes court time and may cause his “clients” financial loss it’s hard to show that he is a danger to them or the public at large. The sanctions available within the justice system seem inadequate to deter him, would only be temporary and may well cause him harm. Unless it could be demonstrated that he was likely to cause physical harm to himself and it was necessary to detain him under the Mental Health Act it would, frustratingly, seem to be best to leave him loose. It would probably be cheaper and more humane in the long run.

TheRambler
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

OTOH if Tranportation was still available………. :roll:

TheRambler
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am Exciting.

EWE has to turn himself in to Worcester magistrates tomorrow answer bail for his assault charge arising from when he was kicked out of Michelle Davies appeal against passing herself off as an osteopath whilst suspended.

He's not posted anything since. Maybe "The Assault Fraud got Custody Fraud agaist the Equity Lawyer".
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

aesmith wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:04 pm
AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 am Exciting.

He's not posted anything since. Maybe "The Assault Fraud got Custody Fraud agaist the Equity Lawyer".
If he’s a no show then a bench warrant would be issued. Now the problems start, he’s not exactly a “threat” more of a persistent nuisance. If he’s still resident in the Met area of responsibility then West Midlands Police have to persuade the Met to ascertain his whereabouts and pick him up or go down there and pick him up themselves. In any case, if he was detained it would be up to West Midlands collect him. The time and effort involved is all adding up.

OTOH, if they do decide he’s worth the effort, then they would probably aim to feel his collar on Friday or Saturday. That way he gets a couple of nights in a police cell before court on Monday.

TheRambler
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

That way he gets a couple of nights in a police cell before court on Monday.
Wouldn't that present significant issues in terms of managing his health problems?
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

John Uskglass wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:52 pm
That way he gets a couple of nights in a police cell before court on Monday.
Wouldn't that present significant issues in terms of managing his health problems?
Precisely, is it worth it for the time and effort involved? I suspect that even if he were to voluntarily surrender himself at his nearest police station he would be told to go home.

TheRambler
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

If he was arrested in the Met area he could be taken to a court in London and dealt with there under the cross-LJA protocol, no need to take him to Worcester, and good reasons not to. CPS files are digital so can be accessed by prosecutors anywhere.

Or he could be video linked from London to Worcester. There really is no need to transport people across the country now.

That said, he'll probably look like a hot potato people will be quite happy to toss, so staff or judges might decide to forget all that and insist on Worcester dealing with it.
Last edited by SpearGrass on Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnOwlCalledSage

I'm assuming that the test is the same as Sabine McNeill's. She claimed all sorts of disabilities, diet problems etc.

The question was then whether prison would be materially detrimental to her health. The court decided that she would get the same treatment whether incarcerated or not.

That she was expatriated after serving half her sentence would seem to indicate that the court was right as she seemed equally fit and healthy on her release.
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

SpearGrass wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:26 pm That said, he'll probably look like a hot potato people will be quite happy to toss, so staff or judges might decide to forget all that and and insist on Worcester dealing with it.
I have no doubt that finding something more pressing to do than picking up EWE wouldn't be difficult.

TheRambler