New tp scheme: mail order bride

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

New tp scheme: mail order bride

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/mar/1 ... backfires/

Excerpts:
Edward Eastwood, trial testimony has shown, decided in 1998 that he was tired of paying the IRS a chunk of what he earned, so he gathered literature from various anti-tax groups on what to do. Their tips included writing letters to the IRS disavowing any taxable income and denying the agency's authority to collect taxes.

But Eastwood had his own special backup plan: buy a bride, divorce her and use her as a tax shelter, court records show.
At their trial, which began last week and wrapped up with guilty verdicts Monday, the pair represented themselves.
An earlier article:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/may/2 ... dge-taxes/
IRS investigators eventually raided a storage unit in Greeneville, Smith wrote.

“Edward K. Eastwood claimed prior ownership of the contents of the storage unit and claimed that he gave them to (his ex-wife’s daughter) as her inheritance to pay for college,” Smith wrote. “Later that day, Special Agents of the Internal Revenue Service — Criminal Investigation executed a federal search warrant on Unit 4D and located, among other items, 76 Saint Gauden Double Eagle gold coins, 36 silver coins, 13 rifles, 3 pistols, approximately 55,000 rounds of ammunition, and personal financial records of Edward K. Eastwood.”
Demo.
bmielke

Re: New tp scheme: mail order bride

Post by bmielke »

At least it was East Tennessee...

Also he's another one in the medical field.
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

Criminal Investigation executed a federal search warrant on Unit 4D and located, among other items, 76 Saint Gauden Double Eagle gold coins, 36 silver coins, 13 rifles, 3 pistols, approximately 55,000 rounds of ammunition, and personal financial records of Edward K. Eastwood.”
Was he planning on using those as money when the economy collapsed? I wonder if he's the kind of guy that thinks money is denominated by weight. I wonder if I could have traded the equivalent number of gold eagles for them.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

If she's lucky, she can use the finding of fraud to invalidate the marriage, and thus her change of citizenship, and go back.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

grixit wrote:If she's lucky, she can use the finding of fraud to invalidate the marriage, and thus her change of citizenship, and go back.
Another gold-digger. But the IRS beat her to the punch. Usually the ex gets the gold mine while the guy gets the shaft.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
LDE

Post by LDE »

Beavis and Butt-Head, season 7, episode 20: "Butt-Head orders a mail-order bride from Russia to 'get some'; Beavis wants to watch."

http://www.tv.com/beavis-and-butt-head/ ... de;summary
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The airheads at losthorizons are talking about this case.

User "d_barnette" says his/her brother testified at the trial.

See:

http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2443
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
tomvpowell

Post by tomvpowell »

Was the bride in on the scam or not?
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

tomvpowell wrote:Was the bride in on the scam or not?
She was part of it, whether she knew it was illegal that is another question. It's possible that she had no idea what her husband was doing was illegal. It is also possible that she was a greedy gold digger that got more then she bargined for.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

bmielke wrote:
tomvpowell wrote:Was the bride in on the scam or not?
She was part of it, whether she knew it was illegal that is another question. It's possible that she had no idea what her husband was doing was illegal. It is also possible that she was a greedy gold digger that got more then she bargined for.
And they couldn't testify against each other. Wow...
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros