Supreme Court / Income vs. Wealth Tax

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Brian Rookard
Beefcake

Supreme Court / Income vs. Wealth Tax

Post by Brian Rookard »

Been a long time since I've posted around here.

We finally got a really good decision and discussion by Justice Thomas going through the history of the 16th Amendment and a discussion about the distinction between taxing the property itself (an ad valorem property tax), and the income derived from property. A good analysis of Pollock and Brushaber and Eisner.

Ad valorem property taxes must be apportioned.

He's not wrong. Case is Moore v. United States.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Supreme Court / Income vs. Wealth Tax

Post by The Observer »

Welcome back, Brian. Always good to see original crew members.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the Court avoided ruling on the "realization" principle. I would have hoped that they could have put that issue to rest, once and for all.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

The Observer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:49 pm I was a bit disappointed to see that the Court avoided ruling on the "realization" principle. I would have hoped that they could have put that issue to rest, once and for all.
Which I, too, thought weird. My understanding was that it was one of the larger issues.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Had the Court held that realization is required it would have had far-reaching consequences. As Justice Kavanaugh explained:
The upshot is that the Moores’ argument, taken to its logical conclusion, could render vast swaths of the Internal Revenue Code unconstitutional. See, e.g., 26 U. S. C. §305(c) (deemed stock distributions); §§446, 448 (accrual accounting); §701 (partnership taxation); §§951–965 (subpart F); §951A (pass-through tax on global intangible low-taxed income);
§1256(a) (certain futures contracts); §1272(a) (original issue discount instruments); §§1361–1379 (S corporations); §§2501–2524 (gift taxes).

And those tax provisions, if suddenly eliminated, would deprive the U. S. Government and the American people of
trillions in lost tax revenue. The logical implications of the Moores’ theory would therefore require Congress to either
drastically cut critical national programs or significantly increase taxes on the remaining sources available to it—
including, of course, on ordinary Americans. The Constitution does not require that fiscal calamity.
This is result-oriented reasoning that in my opinion has no place in constitutional adjudication. It was really unnecessary to the Court's decision, although I'm not surprised he included it in the opinion.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Moved from TP forum.

ETA: And absolutely welcome back, Brian. But where's the Jack Nicholson avatar?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume