Server Crash

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Re: Server Crash

Post by ASITStands »

Whoa! I totally understand about the difference between XP and Linux. Unless you're dealing with one of the more exotic file systems, Linux is the most reliable in drive format.

And, as you say, it's easier to "see" drive failure earlier than on XP.

As far as the phantasized/mythologized version, I'll accept the 'Overlord's' explanation.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

I, like prof, once again lost my username. I successfully re-registered using my original username minus the period after "Mr". However, I could not use my regular e-mail and had to acquire an additional e-mail account in order to register. Does anyone know if my old accounts can be deleted so I can change my current profile to my regular e-mail address? :?:
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

mr mephistopheles wrote:I, like prof, once again lost my username. I successfully re-registered using my original username minus the period after "Mr". However, I could not use my regular e-mail and had to acquire an additional e-mail account in order to register. Does anyone know if my old accounts can be deleted so I can change my current profile to my regular e-mail address? :?:
Um..whoa. It wouldn't let you register because your email address was already in use? That would mean that one of your old names may not be totally missing from the user database. Has anyone else who had to re-register encountered this problem?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

My thanks to the IT group -- whoever took the laboring oar -- you did a great job in restoring this ongoing conversation. I have now learned (1) don't try to re-register unler my old user name and (2) don't take this cyber-community for granted. My thanks to all of you for making my days more interesting.
"My Health is Better in November."
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick wrote:
Um..whoa. It wouldn't let you register because your email address was already in use?
Yepper. (EDIT) I get differing error messages when trying to login with either of my old usernames. Mr. Mephistopheles yields "...username is currently inactive...", and senor diablo yields "...incorrect username...". Hope this helps.
That would mean that one of your old names may not be totally missing from the user database. Has anyone else who had to re-register encountered this problem?
I always have crappy luck. WHY ME!!!!
webhick

Post by webhick »

mr mephistopheles wrote:Yepper. (EDIT) I get differing error messages when trying to login with either of my old usernames. Mr. Mephistopheles yields "...username is currently inactive...", and senor diablo yields "...incorrect username...". Hope this helps.
Hrmph. Yeah, I tried pulling up the original Mr. M profile and it's saying the user doesn't exist. At this point, it's clear we've got abnormal data hanging out in the database. If it's not normal, and I can't tell how it's abnormal, then I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

I've asked Jay to release a current copy of the database to me but I'm not sure if it'll happen because of the amount of highly sensitive information, etc. If I can't get a good look at the hard data, then my hands are kind of tied on the issue.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick wrote:
Hrmph. Yeah, I tried pulling up the original Mr. M profile and it's saying the user doesn't exist. At this point, it's clear we've got abnormal data hanging out in the database. If it's not normal, and I can't tell how it's abnormal, then I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

I've asked Jay to release a current copy of the database to me but I'm not sure if it'll happen because of the amount of highly sensitive information, etc. If I can't get a good look at the hard data, then my hands are kind of tied on the issue.
Thanks! It's not a big deal to use my "new" e-mail with quatloos, so I wouldn't devote a lot of time to the issue. I thought it might be as easy as admin deleting the usernames but apparently it's more complicated than that. :? One last thing, when the original problems occured last month, I attempted to re-register using the original mr. m, without realizing that it would only snare things up more.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

mr mephistopheles wrote:
webhick wrote:

Thanks! It's not a big deal to use my "new" e-mail with quatloos, so I wouldn't devote a lot of time to the issue. I thought it might be as easy as admin deleting the usernames but apparently it's more complicated than that. :? One last thing, when the original problems occured last month, I attempted to re-register using the original mr. m, without realizing that it would only snare things up more.
Its all so clear to me now. This whole "computer issue" was just a sophisticated plot by Webhick to uncover our secret identities and blackmail us for all we're worth. (which isn't a whole lot in my case, but still its the principal of the thing) Nice try, but you have to get up pretty early around here to pull one over on us.... :wink:
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
webhick

Post by webhick »

Imalawman wrote:Its all so clear to me now. This whole "computer issue" was just a sophisticated plot by Webhick to uncover our secret identities and blackmail us for all we're worth. (which isn't a whole lot in my case, but still its the principal of the thing) Nice try, but you have to get up pretty early around here to pull one over on us.... :wink:
Yeah, the bots tried to stop me, but they were no match. I left their bodies by the front door, which is why you no longer see them logged in.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Imalawman wrote: Its all so clear to me now. This whole "computer issue" was just a sophisticated plot by Webhick to uncover our secret identities and blackmail us for all we're worth. (which isn't a whole lot in my case, but still its the principal of the thing) Nice try, but you have to get up pretty early around here to pull one over on us.... :wink:
I've long suspected as much, and your independant verification makes it absolute, incontrovertible truth. I tried to change my username to MR;MEPHISTOPHELES (in red of course) but she blocked that too. I can just see her scheming in the Webhick Cave with her hoard of mutated computer-savvy ferrets conspiracing to de-fraud fellow Quatloosians of their hard-earned cash. Well, she can have my FRN's since they're not "real" anyway. All $2 of them... :mrgreen:
webhick

Post by webhick »

Mr. M, please check your PMs.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick wrote:Mr. M, please check your PMs.
I got your message. Thanks agains webhick!
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

webhick, it worked! Thank you for a job well done. I'm so happy I finally added an avatar to my account.

A word to the wise: DO NOT search for "devil" under Yahoo images with SafeSearch turned off. :shock:
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:
webhick, it worked! Thank you for a job well done. I'm so happy I finally added an avatar to my account.

A word to the wise: DO NOT search for "devil" under Yahoo images with SafeSearch turned off. :shock:
You are not liking the tattoo?
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:

You are not liking the tattoo?
I see someone took the bait. Interesting, to say the least. I knew of a woman who chose a bullseye instead.