Oscar Stilley in the news

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Oscar Stilley in the news

Post by webhick »

The reindeer saga was hilarious. Especially when the court broke out the visual aides on page 39: "The newest edition looks like this; it's green."
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

There are some interesting transcripts of telephone calls in the court record. Here's an example:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/dirr29-1.pdf

It's always so much fun watching one guru (Benson) trash his competition.

I also like the bit where Benson offers to backdate their reliance letters by roughly two years and adds "I can do that legally."
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Stilly seem to have obtained his theories regarding bar admission and authorization to practice law from one of our old buddies: ExLawyerDud
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:There are some interesting transcripts of telephone calls in the court record. Here's an example:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/dirr29-1.pdf

It's always so much fun watching one guru (Benson) trash his competition.

[ . . . ]
Yeah, but despite all the automatic gain control amps, surge protectors, and peak limiters I had hooked up, my Deluxe Chutzpah Meter still finally blew out with Benson's comments at the bottom of page 15.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

06/12/2008 34 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Magistrate Judge C Clifford Shirley: Motion Hearing as to Brett Edward Dirr, Renee Dirr held on 6/12/2008 re 30 MOTION for Leave to Appear Pro Hac Vice Attorney: Oscar Stilley. Mr. Stilley argued his motion. Mr. Stilley moved to make the case Cavitt v. Wells a part of the record. The court instructed him to file it. Government argued and Responded to Mr. Stilleys motion. Final argument. Court DENYS the motion pro hac vice. The Dirrs are addressed and asked if they want additional time to argue their case and do they want additional time to hire an attorney. The Dirrs request additional time to hire an attorney. (Jury Trial reset for 8/26/2008 09:00 AM in Courtroom 4 - Knoxville before District Judge Thomas W Phillips., Status Conference set for 7/1/2008 03:00 PM in Courtroom 3B - Knoxville before Magistrate Judge C Clifford Shirley.) Order to follow. (Court Reporter Jolene Owen.) (DCP) (Entered: 06/12/2008)
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:06/12/2008 34 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Magistrate Judge C Clifford Shirley: Motion Hearing as to Brett Edward Dirr, Renee Dirr held on 6/12/2008 re 30 MOTION for Leave to Appear Pro Hac Vice Attorney: Oscar Stilley. Mr. Stilley argued his motion. Mr. Stilley moved to make the case Cavitt v. Wells a part of the record. The court instructed him to file it. Government argued and Responded to Mr. Stilleys motion. Final argument. Court DENYS the motion pro hac vice. The Dirrs are addressed and asked if they want additional time to argue their case and do they want additional time to hire an attorney. The Dirrs request additional time to hire an attorney. (Jury Trial reset for 8/26/2008 09:00 AM in Courtroom 4 - Knoxville before District Judge Thomas W Phillips., Status Conference set for 7/1/2008 03:00 PM in Courtroom 3B - Knoxville before Magistrate Judge C Clifford Shirley.) Order to follow. (Court Reporter Jolene Owen.) (DCP) (Entered: 06/12/2008)
Boy, that's gotta make little oscar feel droopy.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Mr. Stilley moved to make the case Cavitt v. Wells a part of the record. The court instructed him to file it.
This intrigued me, and now it baffles me.

Cavitt v. Wills (not Wells) was a civil suit in the ED Tenn. (same district as the Dirr's) in which Stilley was attempting to represent the plaintiffs over the opposition of the defendants. The USA, in opposition to Stilley's motion in the Dirr case, attached a copy of the Cavitt decision to their response, and what is baffling is why Stilley thought it was helpful. The following is an excerpt from the order of the magistrate judge in Cavitt v. Wills:
Based upon the documents filed in support of defendants' motion to disqualify Mr.
Stilley, and based upon Mr. Stilley's response, this court frankly would prefer not [emphasis in original] to allow Mr. Stilley to appear pro hac vice. The attitude he has manifested before the Arkansas courts, and even in his response filed to the pending motion in this court, does not bode well for the smooth and orderly resolution of this litigation. But this court is bound by its own Local Rule:
(d) Reciprocity With Other Districts. Attorneys who are admitted to and entitled to practice in other district courts of the United States shall be permitted to practice specially in this district provided it is certified by the presiding judge or clerk of the proper court that they are members in good standing of the bar of the United States District Court of their residence and a copy of the certificate is attached to the first pleading filed.
LR 83.5(d)

[...] This court's Rule simply requires a certificate of good standing &om the district court of Mr. Stilley's residence, and that certificate has been supplied. As a result, this court has no choice but to allow Mr. Stilley to appear pro hac vice. Defendants' motion to disqualify attorney Stilley is therefore DENIED.

As should be apparent from the foregoing, but for LR 83.5(b) [sic], Mr. Stilley would not be admitted to appear pro hac vice in this or any other action in this court. Only because of the wording of LR 83.5(b) [sic], will he be allowed to appear pro hac vice in this suit.
Not what I'd call a ringing endorsement.

As the government pointed out in its response, the local rule has since been amended and now says that attorneys with a certificate of good standing "may" be admitted instead of "shall" be admitted.

The only possible use of making the "case" part of the record is that perhaps Stilley actually followed the rules in that case. And so he might follow the rules while representing the Dirrs. (Who knows? Lightening might strike twice.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.