Dogwalker digs himself in deeper

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ErsatzAnatchist

Re: Dogwalker digs himself in deeper

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
There is a difference between not being able to comprehend a legal concept because of incapacitation and deliberately acting as if you're adhering to nonsense methods to try and appear loyal to the idiot-legal-theory crowd you bought in with.
Judge,

I assume from your response that you believe that Danny is capable of realizing that his beliefs are nonsense. Why is that?
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote:
Judge,

I assume from your response that you believe that Danny is capable of realizing that his beliefs are nonsense. Why is that?
He's fully capable if there is sufficient motivation. Currently he and the quacks that peddle these myths face no downside when they create snowstorms of paper that are nothing more than excercises in cut-and-paste word processing.

I just see far too much tolerance on the part of judges, and the result is a proliferation of these kinds of filings.

'Round here, anyone submitting this garbage is a vexatious quack and the penalty is immediate incarceration and one day of barn cleaning per nonsense paragraph. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Danny's case is way murkier because the judge actually questioned the issued and then found him competent enough to represent himself.

11/09/2007 50 ORDER REQUESTING POSITION ON COMPETENCY EXAMINATION as to Daniel Riley. Notice of Compliance Deadline set for 11/15/2007. So Ordered by Judge George Z. Singal. (jar) (Entered: 11/09/2007)
http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/riley50.pdf

11/15/2007 55 RESPONSE by USA as to Daniel Riley re 50 Order, Set Deadlines. (Huftalen, Arnold) (Entered: 11/15/2007)
http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/riley55.pdf

11/16/2007 56 RESPONSE by Daniel Riley re 50 Order, Set Deadlines. (Wiberg, Sven) (Entered: 11/16/2007)
http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/riley56.pdf

12/07/2007 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge George Z. Singal : SPECIAL HEARING as to Daniel Riley re: Defendant's Request to Appear Pro se held on 12/7/2007. Request granted with Sven Wiberg as standby counsel. (Court Reporter: Diane Churas) (Govt Atty: Arnold Huftalen) (Defts Atty: Sven Wiberg) (USP: Bryce Turgeon)(Total Hearing Time: 12 mins)(CJA Time: 14 mins) (jar) (Entered: 12/07/2007)

So the judge doesn't order a psych evaluation and considers Danny competent to stand trial based on the opinions of the legal counsel on both sides. Danny is therefore allowed to represent himself, which he does until right before the trial when he is forced to move his lawyer from standby to full lawyer status.

What forces him? Because of his actions in prison -- constant fighting with both inmates and guards and spending what precious little time he gets on a computer preparing only his bat-shit crazy filings inspired by Joe Haas -- Danny simply can't prepare in time. He spends much of his prison time in solitary confinement. He doesn't receive the discovery for the case from the prosecutors because it's being sent to his standby counsel who Danny won't speak to, and the prison won't allow him access to his own exculpatory evidence because it's in electronic form and they rightly worry about viruses and other nasties being introduced to their computers. Meanwhile, he sends those idiotic motions to "Captain Singal," and files criminal charges against the judge, the prosecutor, and everyone else who pissed him off.

Post trial, Danny of course blames his lawyer and thinks he'd have had a chance of winning if he hadn't been forced to give up his pro se status (what Danny called "jurious spurious" at one point and later "sui juris.")
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:He's fully capable if there is sufficient motivation. Currently he and the quacks that peddle these myths face no downside when they create snowstorms of paper that are nothing more than excercises in cut-and-paste word processing.

I just see far too much tolerance on the part of judges, and the result is a proliferation of these kinds of filings.

'Round here, anyone submitting this garbage is a vexatious quack and the penalty is immediate incarceration and one day of barn cleaning per nonsense paragraph. :wink:
Going to have to disagree with you on this one judge. In the hundreds of cases I've followed over the years, this is one of the very few where I think the defendant has some serious and debilitating mental issues.
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
ErsatzAnatchist wrote:
Judge,

He's fully capable if there is sufficient motivation. Currently he and the quacks that peddle these myths face no downside when they create snowstorms of paper that are nothing more than excercises in cut-and-paste word processing.

Hmm, that must be why all the barns west of the Pecos look more like operating rooms.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Demosthenes wrote:...

Going to have to disagree with you on this one judge. In the hundreds of cases I've followed over the years, this is one of the very few where I think the defendant has some serious and debilitating mental issues.
I suspect you'd have some additional insight from observing the events first-hand. But I think you'll agree that in most cases this is simple bull-headed stupidity as opposed to organic defect.

In such matters, I tend to defer to lex parsimoniae; there are too many variables in trying to determine the mental competence of people when they espouse preposterous legal mythology as a defense. If they are competent to read, accept and then parrot gibberish they're not crazy, they're doing what young, undisciplined children do when they don't get their way in the mall - they pitch a fit.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I think you'll agree that in most cases this is simple bull-headed stupidity as opposed to organic defect.
Yep.
Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I tend to agree with the bull headed stupidity aspect of this, but you also have to accept the fact that when some people develop a belief system based on what is obviously from the start utter nonsense, that they are highly unlikely to give it up easily, it is always easier to say that they were railroaded or that the courts are corrupt.... than admit that they were wrong, these types of people can be very stupid, and very dangerous under the right circumstances. That being said, I am coming to believe that the Dog Walker has slipped far over the edge and is not really rational any longer, I'm not sure he is even residing in this reality any longer. He may not meet the legal definition of incompetent, but I don’t think he is dealing with reality enough to “aid in his defense”.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Most recent Order. Note that the Judge Singal brings up the competency issue once more (see bolding added).
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
DISTRICT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v.

Criminal No. 07-189-GZS
DANIEL RILEY,
Defendant

ORDER DENYING DEFENDANT RILEY’S MOTION
TO PERMIT ATTORNEY SVEN WIBERG TO WITHDRAW

The Court now has before it Defendant Riley’s Motion [to Permit Attorney Wiberg] to
Withdraw or for Hearing. (Docket No. 439.) This motion asserts:

1. Mr. Riley has directed [Attorney Sven Wiberg] to withdraw.
2. Without revealing privileged communications, [Attorney Sven Wiberg]
submits that Mr. Riley does not wish to be represented by this attorney from
this time forward.
3. Assistant United States Attorney Arnold H. Huftalen has been contacted and
has indicated that he cannot take a position until he has reviewed this motion.
4. Although [Attorney Wiberg] has no desire to withdraw and believes that
continued representation could be necessary and advisable, it may be that the
attorney/client relationship has broken down. Consequently, the undersigned
has no alternative and must file this motion, as directed. See Rule 1.16 of the
New Hampshire Rules of Professional Conduct.
(Id. at 1.) Mr. Riley does not wish the Court to appoint him new counsel. Rather, Mr. Riley
requests that he be permitted to proceed pro se. Because of the disadvantages to a defendant that inure from pro se representation, a defendant must “knowingly and intelligently” waive his right to counsel before he may be permitted to proceed pro se. Johnson v. Zerbst, 304 U.S. 458, 464-65 (1938); United States v. Kneeland, 148 F.3d 6, 11 (1st Cir. 1998). To ensure that any waiver is knowing and intelligent, the Court has an obligation to instruct Mr. Riley about “the dangers and disadvantages of self-representation, so that the record will establish that ‘he knows what he is doing and his choice is made with eyes open.’ ” Faretta v. California, 422 U.S. 806, 835, (1975) (quoting Adams v. United States ex rel. McCann, 317 U.S. 269, 279 (1942)).

The Court held a hearing on this matter and attempted to fulfill its obligation of ensuring
that Mr. Riley was knowingly and intelligently waiving his right to court appointed counsel and
Mr. Riley refused to cooperate. Because the Court cannot make the necessary determinations regarding the waiver of right to counsel, the motion will be denied.

During the course of the hearing, the Court listened to, and observed, Mr. Riley. Despite
being provided numerous opportunities to discuss the instant Motion to Withdraw, Mr. Riley refused and persisted in raising numerous irrelevant and unrelated matters with the Court
. A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for August 1, 2008. “The sentencing process necessitates that the defendant possess both a ‘present ability to consult with [a] lawyer with a reasonable degree of rational understanding,’ and a ‘rational as well as factual understanding of the proceedings.’” United States v. Pellerito, 878 F.2d 1535, 1544 (1st Cir. 1989) (quoting Dusky v. United States, 362 U.S. 402, 402 (1960) (per curiam) (defining competence to stand trial)). Based on the Court’s observance of Mr. Riley at the hearing and past observations wherein Mr. Riley continued to raise similar irrelevant material, the Court does not find that Mr. Riley has any competency issues but rather that he continues to raise the extraneous matters in an effort to obstruct and delay the proceedings.

Accordingly, the Court ORDERS that Defendant Riley’s Motion [to Permit Attorney
Wiberg] to Withdraw as counsel be, and it is hereby, DENIED. If at this time or any time in the future, either counsel has a concern with respect to Defendant Riley’s competency, they should file a Motion raising that issue and outlining the reasons therefor. See 18 U.S.C. § 4241. Mr. Riley is also free to file an additional motion to proceed pro se and, if Mr. Riley chooses to do so, the Court is hopeful that he will cooperate.

SO ORDERED.

/s/ George Z. Singal__________________
Chief United States District Judge

Dated this 27th day of June, 2008.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
TheSaint

Post by TheSaint »

Dezcad wrote:the Court does not find that Mr. Riley has any competency issues but rather that he continues to raise the extraneous matters in an effort to obstruct and delay the proceedings.
Well, why not? When you're guilty as sin and looking at a very long time in the federal pokey, why not throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks? What's he got to lose at this point?

I know Dogwalker's legal arguments have no merit, but from a strategic standpoint his actions make sense.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

TheSaint wrote:Well, why not? When you're guilty as sin and looking at a very long time in the federal pokey, why not throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks? What's he got to lose at this point?
Even more time in prison?

If I were in DTW's position, the last thing I would want to be doing is annoying the judge who will soon be deciding my prison sentence.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent

Ah, but you are a rational, thinking, and functional individual, and wouldn't be there in the first place, which come to think of it, is why he is where he is at present time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

notorial dissent wrote:Ah, but you are a rational, thinking, and functional individual....
That's... that's one of the nicest things you, or anyone else, has ever said about me.

[snif]
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent

Sorry, just call’em like I see ‘em, which probably explains why Stevsie and I are such bosom budies.
TheSaint

Post by TheSaint »

LPC wrote:If I were in DTW's position, the last thing I would want to be doing is annoying the judge who will soon be deciding my prison sentence.
True. But in Danny Riley's warped mind, the possibility of winning total freedom through some magic-word legal mumbo-jumbo might make it worth the risk.