Am I figuring this correctly?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Am I figuring this correctly?

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

In this part of the country, famous last words are often heard to be, "Here - hold my beer and watch this."

In this case, Bob's uncle is saying, "He're, I'll hold your beer and you ___________."
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
MMW

Post by MMW »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:In this part of the country, famous last words are often heard to be, "Here - hold my beer and watch this."

In this case, Bob's uncle is saying, "He're, I'll hold your beer and you ___________."
Exactly. And while he'll rail on and on about the "illegal, unconstitutional central bank" picking his pocket by devaluing his dollars, he has no problem picking my employer's pocket (through wasting our time with lawsuits and other legal pedantry) to tilt at his windmills.
MMW

Post by MMW »

CaptainKickback wrote:You will also find that like most of his ilk, he barely got through high school, leads a cr*ppy little life, living in a cr*ppy little place and will always work cr*ppy little jobs - and yet, they somehow think this and a bit of internet rumor makes them mentally superior to the likes of real big businessmen, like Warren Buffet, or Bill Gates, or the guy who founded the 99cent stores - all of whom pay their personal income taxes.
Bob's uncle has done quite well for himself, which is why he now has the time and money to be a "paralegal" for these outfits. Bob's finishing college now, and has a pretty bright career ahead of him if he'd pull his head out of his tookus. They just have an ax to grind with income taxes. A man's got to have a hobby, but sheesh.

Want to know what Bob wants to be when he grows up? A pilot :lol:
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

I don't know how far down the TP path Bob has traveled, but I usually try and tell beginning TPs to do a little risk assessment.

When you don't pay taxes and don't file returns, there is basically four end results.
1. The person that doesn't pay taxes is possibly overlooked or is never noticed. He/she live out his/her life never paying taxes. This is rare.
2. The person doesn't pay taxes for a few years and is fined and penalized but never charged with a crime. Usually, the person ends up paying far more than he/she would have if he/she had just paid his/her taxes.
3. The person doesn't pay taxes, is fined and penalized and is charged with various tax related crimes but is acquitted. The person ends up paying far more in taxes and penalties and sometimes pays a hefty fee to a lawyer.
4. The person doesn't pay taxes, is fined and penalized and is charged with various tax related crimes and is found guilty. The person ends up paying far more in taxes and penalties along with possible fees to a lawyer and also spends 8 months to several years in federal prison.
Since there are really only four possible outcomes and three of them are bad, is it really worth not paying your taxes?

Usually, I'll get the standard 'fight for freedom' quote or a revolution reference or some other nonsense. At that point, I start the explanation as to why they are simply wrong.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

MMW wrote:
Bob's uncle has done quite well for himself, which is why he now has the time and money to be a "paralegal" for these outfits. Bob's finishing college now, and has a pretty bright career ahead of him if he'd pull his head out of his tookus. They just have an ax to grind with income taxes. A man's got to have a hobby, but sheesh.

Want to know what Bob wants to be when he grows up? A pilot :lol:
It really sounds like you need to kick Bob to the curb.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

"To tax and to please, no more than to love and to be wise, is not given to men." — Edmund Burke, 18th Century Irish political philosopher and British statesman

Source http://www.irs.gov
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

The Operative wrote:I don't know how far down the TP path Bob has traveled, but I usually try and tell beginning TPs to do a little risk assessment.

When you don't pay taxes and don't file returns, there is basically four end results.
1. The person that doesn't pay taxes is possibly overlooked or is never noticed. He/she live out his/her life never paying taxes. This is rare.
2. The person doesn't pay taxes for a few years and is fined and penalized but never charged with a crime. Usually, the person ends up paying far more than he/she would have if he/she had just paid his/her taxes.
3. The person doesn't pay taxes, is fined and penalized and is charged with various tax related crimes but is acquitted. The person ends up paying far more in taxes and penalties and sometimes pays a hefty fee to a lawyer.
4. The person doesn't pay taxes, is fined and penalized and is charged with various tax related crimes and is found guilty. The person ends up paying far more in taxes and penalties along with possible fees to a lawyer and also spends 8 months to several years in federal prison.
Since there are really only four possible outcomes and three of them are bad, is it really worth not paying your taxes?

Usually, I'll get the standard 'fight for freedom' quote or a revolution reference or some other nonsense. At that point, I start the explanation as to why they are simply wrong.
Pascal's Wager, IRS version.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4