Another Pilot

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Re: Another Pilot

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:From what I understand, pilots initially don't make a lot of money. In fact, a lot of them meet the requirements to be eligible for welfare, food stamps and the like.

The problem is so bad that one airline actually sent out a memo threatening to fire any pilot who they found to have applied for public assistance.
I don't know about the memo in question but you are correct about the meager pay. I have a family member who is presently a pilot for one of the major airlines. He went through a 4 year university program, racked up somewhere over $50k in loans and started flying for a regional airline for less than $20k a year. He has been in jets for several years now and hasn't approached the six figure salary. You've got to be a Captain to draw those wages and it takes a lot of years and hours in the right seat before you get that promo. Someone else mentioned here why there are so many pilots. I don't know but there are a lot of them getting pink-slipped these days. Anyone pursuing a career in commercial aviation must be a little out of touch with the situation.

Bashful and the Judge pegged it about the "God" complex and that it reduces down to being right about everything. They tend to be very Class A and feel they can do no wrong. I suppose to have the chutpah to take a few lives into their hands that cockiness is a necessity.
Last edited by Mr. Mephistopheles on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I have a commercial certificate although I don't fly for a living, I was a military pilot in the 80s. A lot of the reason is there are at least 2 organizations that target pilots (they get the list from the FAA or AOPA I'd bet) for a "tax effeciency" seminar, i get their junk mail occasionally. From what they say in the brochures, it looks like garbage to me. I do agree with the pilots having a God complex, I even admit to having a bit of it myself in certain things, and hech, I wasn't a fighter pilot, I just flew eggbeaters for the Army.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Helicopter: (mil parl) N. 50,000 small parts flying in close formation.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grixit wrote:Helicopter: (mil parl) N. 50,000 small parts flying in close formation.
and all of them provided by the lowest bidder!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Helicopters don't fly.

They beat the air into submission.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three