The United Cities will need funny money to pay bail

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: The United Cities will need funny money to pay bail

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

This is boiling down to the kind of "viva la revolucion!" gibberish that lures the ignorant into worker movements with messages the target audience members cannot possibly understand but are more than willing to get behind if it sticks it to the establishment and offers "hope."

The perpetrators cloak themselves in the grandiose nature of the purported goals and the ignorant climb on for the ride to prosperity and economic equality. Of course, when the results don't meet expectations, yet another answer to their plight appears on the scene as the perpetrators ride off into the sunset of martyrdom.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Guillermo Ramos, a Kissimmee resident who had joined Cruz's project through the nonprofit, remains a believer. He had just signed his house over to the group Friday, saying it had offered him a 4.5 percent interest rate on a refinanced mortgage.
He signed over his house...? :shock:

Just when you think people couldn't get any dumber.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

LPC wrote: What's illegal is to print and distribute (i.e., "utter") something that looks like, or is represented as, legal tender. The word "currency" implies a kind of general acceptance, so uttering something that is represented to be "currency" is probably illegal.
Which is why coupons say “store coupon” on them, to avoid any hint of confusion.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
sombrero guy

Post by sombrero guy »

LPC wrote:
sombrero guy wrote:and what about those claims that anyone can start their own currency?
Not exactly.

It's not illegal (or unusual) for private businesses to issue coupons, credit memos, or "scrip" that serves as a kind of "private currency." For example, in "company towns" dominated by one industry and one employer, the company might issue scrip that can be used like money to buy food, clothing, and other goods at the company store. Paying the employees in scrip rather than currency insures that the employees only spend their wages at the company store, so the company can jack up the prices and make money by both underpaying and overcharging the employee.

What's illegal is to print and distribute (i.e., "utter") something that looks like, or is represented as, legal tender. The word "currency" implies a kind of general acceptance, so uttering something that is represented to be "currency" is probably illegal.

Ok, I thought this would be the case, but what about those towns that have local currency?

Such as these...

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ted_States
sombrero guy

Post by sombrero guy »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:This is boiling down to the kind of "viva la revolucion!" gibberish that lures the ignorant into worker movements with messages the target audience members cannot possibly understand but are more than willing to get behind if it sticks it to the establishment and offers "hope."

The perpetrators cloak themselves in the grandiose nature of the purported goals and the ignorant climb on for the ride to prosperity and economic equality. Of course, when the results don't meet expectations, yet another answer to their plight appears on the scene as the perpetrators ride off into the sunset of martyrdom.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Are you talking about Cruz or the presidential campaign? :roll:
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

sombrero guy wrote:what about those towns that have local currency?
So long as it is perfectly clear, both from their appearance and the way that they are promoted, that they are not generally-accepted currency, there isn't an issue.

For example, around here (NY) so-called "Ithaca hours" are fairly well-known. They look like this:
and are promoted in such a way as to make clear that they are purely local, that not even all local merchants accept them, and that their use is strictly voluntary.

Moreover, no one has ever tried to deposit 357,000,000,000 of them in a bank, and then invaded the bank with armed men to force it to redeem them in real money.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Hmm. Somehow I suspect that the Secret Service will get around to 'Ithaca hours' eventually. As they should.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

sombrero guy wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:This is boiling down to the kind of "viva la revolucion!" gibberish that lures the ignorant into worker movements with messages the target audience members cannot possibly understand but are more than willing to get behind if it sticks it to the establishment and offers "hope."

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Are you talking about Cruz or the presidential campaign? :roll:
Score an 8.5 for sombrero guy. :)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Contrivances like the Ithica Hours have been tried elsewhere - especially during the Great Depression - without legal problems. The chits never pretend to be exchangeable for money and, as they are only for small amounts of labor under circumstances in which people would have little chance of being paid money for the same work.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

webhick wrote:
Orlando Sentinal - 09/01/07 wrote:He is also calling for the Department of Treasury's Office of the Comptroller of the Currency as well as the Federal Reserve System -- which he has called "Satan's banking system"-- "to prove or retract their false claims within 48 hours" about his company issuing "worthless" checks.
Satan does not use FRNs, he uses Beelzebub Bucks, which are backed by your immortal souls. Luckily, a friend of a friend of a friend of mine reported great success in "opting out" of the system. So I arranged a meeting with the guy and he said that the only way to do it is to set up an immortal trust under my "true" name and it will squarely put my soul under the jurisdiction and protection of God. He said that it usually costs a million FRNs to set up because of the high value on souls and the fact that God has upped her filing fees, but he was willing to do it at cost for only 666,666 FRN if I could set it up that day. So I paid him the cash and signed the trust agreement in blood. Now I'm totally protected from the collapse of Beelzebub Bucks.

If anyone wants to guarantee their safety in this ever-changing financial market, just keep an eye out for a red guy with horns, a forked tongue, and a tail. I know, I know, but he assured me that it was just a disguise to throw off the Dark Master's minions.
You rang?
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

CaptainKickback wrote:I thought she meant me, when I am resplendent in my red prince of the church (cardinal) regalia, spinning a tale and as for my forked tongue.....<insert your own dirty innuendo here> :roll: :twisted: :wink:
Look, we reaally don't care what you wear to Comic Con. :wink: :lol:
wserra

Post by wserra »

Update on court proceedings: Marrero has waived his right to a detention hearing. It makes sense for a defendant to do this when there is at the moment no realistic chance of release, since then the record will show in the event of a later application that the only previous determination of detention was without opposition. The September 2 hearing is thus cancelled. It appears (no docket entry for his arrest) that Angel Cruz is still a fugitive.

That is all.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
foolery

Post by foolery »

you guys should feel good about this forum and what your posting. With all the evidence i found on this forum i managed to convince a family member that was trying to work with TUC that these people were wasting her and her clients time, money, and possibly getting her in trouble with the government. Thanks for all your help. please keep us all updated!