Snipes trial (Continued)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Agent Observer

Post by Agent Observer »

Nope. I'm the one and only. I don't need to stinkin' doubles, although I'd rather have Agent Observer's pic on the back of my book.
Hah! You're much too "popular" already. Your "fans" would see through it in a heartbeat, but I'll get my publicist and my agent to talk to your people and maybe we can come to an agreement for a small, 7 figure deal. After all, anything less than 8 figures for either of us is mere chump change!
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Jury was brought in at 9:05 this morning. The defense rested at 9:06.
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Jury was brought in at 9:05 this morning. The defense rested at 9:06.
Wait, didn't the government just rest last Friday?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Demo wrote:
Mon Dieu! Je crois que M. Snipes siffle passé le cimetière, et il espère pour le plus meilleur!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

On the other hand, who knows for sure what a jury will do.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The government rested Friday afternoon, and the defense rested this morning - not witnesses, no testimony.

It's a big poker bluff that paid off when they tried it in the Banister case, but the DOJ's Banister case was a hell of a lot weaker than this case.

I predict a Galileo closing painting Snipes as a persecuted man, "He was just asking questions..." Yada yada.
Demo.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Demo, based on what you've seen, if you have the time later, how would you rate the job that the attorneys on both sides did?
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Above, I wrote:
Demo, based on what you've seen, if you have the time later, how would you rate the job that the attorneys on both sides did?
Or, I should say, "how have the attorneys done so far?". We still have closing arguments coming.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Famspear wrote:Demo wrote:
Mon Dieu! Je crois que M. Snipes siffle passé le cimetière, et il espère pour le plus meilleur!
[nitpick] shouldn't it be something like "plus loin que", "le long du coté", "au delà de" or maybe just "prés de"? I think that passé is an action term meaning to pass something as in throw, not a term of proximity or direction. Also, maybe "mais", instead of "et"? I've never said this phrase in French or seen it written, so I'm not sure.[/nitpick]
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Imalawman wrote:
shouldn't it be something like "plus loin que", "le long du coté", "au delà de" or maybe just "prés de"? I think that passé is an action term meaning to pass something as in throw, not a term of proximity or direction. Also, maybe "mais", instead of "et"? I've never said this phrase in French or seen it written, so I'm not sure.
C'est possible. Je ne suis pas sûr. J'apprends français il y a 38 ans -- l'école. Mes ancêtres étaient français, mais mon français est faible.
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

Does anyone have an idea what kind of fee Bernhoft gets for NOT putting on a defense? High 6 figures, seven maybe?

I wonder how much you'd have to pay him to actually, you know, present some evidence in his client's behalf.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

CaptainKickback wrote:I wonder something. If WS is found guilty and the appeal is filed, could WS hire a new attorney who would ask for a new trial because of inadequate defense/counsel at the initial trial?

Just a question
Sure, and that might work for an indigent defendant but not for a high-profile wealthy defendant who hired the attorneys of his choice.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

......"We chose not to call witnesses because there was no need to. The government prosecutors have put on a case that simply does not come close to meeting the standard of its burden of proof," Snipes' attorney Daniel Meachum said in a statement.

The trial, which had been expected to last a month, opened Jan. 14. The prosecution rested Friday.

"It was obvious after we went over the evidence the government presented that we could move on to closing arguments immediately and get a just acquittal for Wesley on all counts listed in the indictment," Meachum said.......

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gR52 ... wD8UF267O0
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

......"We chose not to call witnesses because there was no need to. The government prosecutors have put on a case that simply does not come close to meeting the standard of its burden of proof,"
Translation:

We're screwed and we know it.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

"We could have called a bunch of Hollywood stars," said Bernhoft, a Milwaukee, Wis., lawyer who specializes in tax cases. "We could have put on a big show, but we don't do that. We're not going to waste the jury's time."
Translation: We're screwed and the jury knows it.

But darn it, I was really looking forward to Goldie Hawn's testimony on taxation.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:I predict a Galileo closing painting Snipes as a persecuted man, "He was just asking questions..." Yada yada.
A persecuted man who did not have a Florida residence.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Galileo didn't have a Florida residence. More than coincidence?
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

"Corrupt Justice: the Persecution of Wesley Snipes", starring:

Isaiah Washington as Wesley Snipes

Hulk Hogan as Eddie Kahn

Sylvester Sallone as the ghost of Gallileo

Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Here's a link to a news report from the scene at the court house, from a TV station, complete with a few brief words of confidence from Wesley Snipes

http://www.wftv.com/video/15165168/index.html
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

Snipes trial offers IRS perfect script

Morris said Tuesday in closing arguments. "And it's the law, and that's what this case is about. It's about three men who felt they were above the law."
Defense attorney Robert Barnes conceded Snipes' arguments may have been crazy, but insisted that didn't make them criminal.

"Disagreement with the IRS is not fraud of the IRS, is not deception," Barnes said. "It was an attempt to engage the IRS, to go through the IRS procedures and processes and see who's right."

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_8109841