Brown supporter trial (Continued)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Re: Brown supporter trial (Continued)

Post by Prof »

The Texas coast, and as far inland as San Antonio, does get hurricanes. Inland Texas also gets its share of tornadoes, drought, flood, sandstorms, wind, etc. However, outside of the Panhandle, it rarely gets snow. On the otherhand, it does get hot in most of Texas. In San Antonio, we have two seasons: Hot and Hotter.
"My Health is Better in November."
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Cobalt Shiva wrote:
ASITStands wrote: Or, their intelligence. Most Texans don't like the ground shaking except during a good rodeo.
We don't get hurricanes.
Hmm, if I had a choice between two natural disasters, the first of which occurs with little or no warning and the second where I have three or four day warning, I'll choose the second. Reasonable people have the sense to get out of the way. :whistle:
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Compared to SoCal, we don't get too many mudslides that have a nasty habit of doing away with your home, nor do we fear that at any moment half the state might fall into the ocean. And there's always the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Having said all that, however, I'd gladly trade Governors.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

The Operative wrote:
Cobalt Shiva wrote:
ASITStands wrote: Or, their intelligence. Most Texans don't like the ground shaking except during a good rodeo.
We don't get hurricanes.
Hmm, if I had a choice between two natural disasters, the first of which occurs with little or no warning and the second where I have three or four day warning, I'll choose the second. Reasonable people have the sense to get out of the way. :whistle:
Any meteorologist worth their salt can spot tornados forming with more than enough time to seek appropriate shelter. I've read that with the Greensburg, KS tornado last year that early warning by meteorologists greatly reduced the number of casualties. Doppler radar is a wonderful thing. Of course the challenge lies in communicating the threat to the public in a timely fashion.

The Mr. M primer on the difference between tornadoes and hurricanes:

A. The chance of being struck by a tornado is very rare. Hurricanes are an annual (or more frequent) event.

B. Hurricanes last for days and the weather is usually rather pleasant following a tornado-capable thunderstorm.

C. The area effected by a tornado is usually relatively small, while a hurricane can impact large areas of real estate.
TheWatcher (MIA)

Post by TheWatcher (MIA) »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote: The Mr. M primer on the difference between tornadoes and hurricanes:

A. The chance of being struck by a tornado is very rare. Hurricanes are an annual (or more frequent) event.

B. Hurricanes last for days and the weather is usually rather pleasant following a tornado-capable thunderstorm.

C. The area effected by a tornado is usually relatively small, while a hurricane can impact large areas of real estate.
Both have lots of blowing and sucking and end up with the loss of cars ,people with disheveled looks on their faces and in the end someone loses a mobile home.

Wow, that's kind of like a marriage that ends in divorce isn't it?

For the record, I've been in both a tornado and a hurricane (both multiple times) and I prefer the hurricane. It lasts longer, and you get better drinks while you wait.

Anyway...back on topic, I'm anxiously awaiting the days re-cap!
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Cpt Banjo wrote:Compared to SoCal, we don't get too many mudslides that have a nasty habit of doing away with your home, nor do we fear that at any moment half the state might fall into the ocean.
Most of the motion along the San Andreas fault is north-south, not up-down, and the little bit of vertical motion that does occur tends to move the coast upward, and not downward.

Which means that the real danger for LA is not sliding into the ocean, but moving up and out into the desert.

My favorite line about California: After a week of mudslides, brush fires, earthquakes, and smog alerts, someone noted that Californians had only four things to fear: fire, water, earth, and air.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

So where the hell is my Reno cross-examination fix?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

LPC wrote:So where the hell is my Reno cross-examination fix?
What he said.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Dezcad wrote:
LPC wrote:So where the hell is my Reno cross-examination fix?
What he said.
Alright, alright. Since Demo seems to be mia, here are a few highlights:

*Reno said several times that he was not at the Browns' to provide armed security. His weapons were for his personal protection only. If something bad happened, he wouldn't try to protect anyone else. "I'm a realist, not a hero."

*Reno and Ed only had one conversation about what they should do if the marshals came. Ed's advice: leave the house. Reno said he figured his best bet would be to leave his guns inside. "I figured if I was running out of the house, it would probably be better not to have them."

*Reno repeated that his main purpose in going to the Browns had nothing to do with the Browns themselves. "It was kind of like a hub of information and, basically, supporters. There was no point in driving around to them. They were coming to me."

*On Ed Brown: "Ed's kind of a jerk."
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Hurricanes pass over in a few hours at most. I slept through the last one that hit Houston. Wind damage 50 miles inland is nothing compared to that on the coast. Tropical storms are much worse than hurricanes in Houston. They seem almost to hover, and dump tons of water, which overloads the storm drains and can take days to subside.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat