News of the Weird & TP Dentists

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ElfNinosMom

News of the Weird & TP Dentists

Post by ElfNinosMom »

http://artvoice.com/issues/v6n48/news_of_the_weird
Recurring Themes

■ Something About Dentists: Hard-core federal income-tax resisters are frequently in the news, but a recent spate of them involved dentists. In October, Ed Brown and his dentist-wife, Elaine, were arrested after a nine-month standoff with federal marshals in Plainfield, N.H., where they had holed up, vowing to die before paying the federal government any of Elaine’s $1.9 million in unreported income. In October, dentist Nancy Montgomery-Ware was convicted on two counts of tax evasion in Tampa, Fla., still believing that the federal government has no authority over her taxes or her practice, based on her research finding that there’s no such thing as a “U.S. citizen.” In October, Slidell, La., dentist Louis Genard was a U.S. citizen, though he renounced, but was nonetheless found guilty on three tax-evasion counts after a court was unimpressed that he had become an “ambassador of heaven” who is exempt from federal taxation.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Can't go into detail, but I just had a session with a pre-dental student who was attepting to keep a B he was getting in a class off his transcript by trying to exploit a possible loophole in the system. He was really upset when I let him know that this would have to be formally approved by a committee who would not be likely to approve it. He began to assert that it was his right as a student, blah, blah, blah. I let him write up a defense to be submitted to the commitee. It was there we found out that he figured out he was getting a B and wanted to retake the class without consequences to his transcript (oh the horror of etting a "B"!) and that this was not due to extranious circumstances like illness or death in the family. (In otherwords, we let him shoot himself in the foot.)

All through this episode, I kept thinking: What would Elaine do?
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

CaptainKickback wrote:My only thought about the guy was, if he's so sh*t-hot, like he thinks he is, why isn't he at Stanford, or Harvard, or Yale or some other top tier law school. What a tool.
He's too REAL for those schools! They just cannot handle him. I meet up with students like him quite often. Usually the conversation is akin to this:

Student: I'm going to med school and I'm not taking calculus or any sciences becuse I am working in a medical clinic already.

Me: To be considered for med school you'll need to show you will be successful in the basic sciences.

Student: BUT I WORK IN A MEDICAL CLINIC! (Insert stupid argument here.)

Me: Regardless: to be considered for med school you'll need to show you will be successful in the basic sciences.

Student: We'll I'm different.

Me: Okay, you can try it, but I will assure you your applications will be rejected. I recommend you get in touch with the schools you want to apply to and ask them.

Student:
I don't need to do that.

Me: I highly recommend networking.

Student: My grades will get me into med schools.

Me: Do you have a plan "B" for *cough* if you don't get in?

Student: No I will be accepted.

Me: Alrighty, I don't think I can help you any more at this time. Good luck and study hard.

*Three years later "the dance of the inflated sense of self-importance" continues and the same student gets in touch with me about a starting an MBA or JD program with the same attitude and results.
Neckbone
Quatloosian Dead Rock Star Archivist

Post by Neckbone »

Dentists, physicians, chiropractors, etc. make a BIG mistake when they assume their vast knowledge in their chosen field qualifies them in all related and most unrelated fields.

Example:

My wife is a veterinarian. I was filling in for the receptionist one day when I got a call from a client of hers; a 4th year medical student. Dr. Wannabe didn't want to pay to spay his dog. He suggested he could just do the surgery himself on his kitchen table. So I asked him a few questions to prepare him for the kitchen table job:

Q: What is the normal respiration rate for a dog?

A: I don't know.

Q: What anesthetic will you use?

A: I think I'll use ketamine.

Q: What is the mg per kg dose for ketamine in dogs.

A: I don't know.

Q: Have you checked your dog for heartworms?

A: No.

Q: What will you do if the surgery reveals pyometra infection?

A: What's pyometra?

Q: You better pay the freight and let a professional do the surgery.

If you think your expertise in Subject A qualifies you to practice in Subject B, think again.

Neckbone