Meredith's Co-conspirators Convictions Affirmed

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Meredith's Co-conspirators Convictions Affirmed

Post by LPC »

Other familiar names in the news: Two of Lynne Meredith's co-conspirators have had their convictions affirmed (finally) by the 9th Circuit. United States v. Gregory Paul Karl and Willie Watts, 2008 TNT 9-49, Nos. 05-50454, 05-50480 (9th Circuit 1/11/2008) (unpublished). The 9th Circuit opinion is fairly long and fairly boring, so I didn't copy it here.

And I didn't check on Willie Watts, but Gregory Paul Karl had been sentenced to 20 months, and was released on 6/15/2007.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Meredith's Co-conspirators Convictions Affirmed

Post by LPC »

The opinion in the Karl case was published in Fed. Appx., as cited in a later unrelated case that I just posted, so I'm going to post a link to the full text of the 9th Circuit decision here.

Most interesting is footnote 1 on page 1:
Pure trusts are fictitious legal devices that have long been used as part of
sales pitches to an unsuspecting public. Their purveyors falsely represent that this
trust device can prevent the federal government from levying taxes on assets
contained in the trust.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Meredith's Co-conspirators Convictions Affirmed

Post by Number Six »

The Lynn Meredith group and their escapades are deserving of a thick public file so that their work doesn't get repeated. When some people saw a CPA not only endorsing their "program" but also employed by this syndicate, they were gulled in.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)