Server Crash

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Server Crash

Post by LPC »

From what I've heard from webhick and demo, there was a major hard disk crash on the server, with the result that the site had to be rebuilt from backups.

It looks to me as though we've lost every message posted in April and May, but it looks like its working now. (And just in time, because I was going through major withdrawal. I even started to read Sui Juris out of desperation.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Server Crash

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:From what I've heard from webhick and demo, there was a major hard disk crash on the server, with the result that the site had to be rebuilt from backups.

It looks to me as though we've lost every message posted in April and May, but it looks like its working now. (And just in time, because I was going through major withdrawal. I even started to read Sui Juris out of desperation.)
Withdrawal symptoms for me too.

Strangely, the network at my office has basically been down for a couple of days -- about the same time as the Quatloos forum. It's completely an unrelated coincidence of course. I took off early and came home.

Darn hard drives. Couldn't even check my email for much of the day.

It's very hard to get work done without a computer now.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

It's a conspiracy! We talked too much about Cracking the Code.

If the last backup was the end of March, Quatloos is in trouble. Actually, there are posts from the last week of April in other forums on the site. I suppose that's why 'webhick' says they're trying to restore as many of the missing threads as possible. Argh!

I've seen server crashes - even been in the middle of one or two of my own and had to rebuild from scratch. It's no picnic when you face losing backups or restoring data.

But, honestly, Dan! Reading Sui Juris? You do have it bad.
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

But, honestly, Dan! Reading Sui Juris? You do have it bad.

They also missed Quatloos

The Outta Commissiona

looks like the quatloos forum is down

I was checking to see if they wanted to copy/paste/ridicule, or explain away with some shallow rationalization; this thread like they do so much on other threads here.

mrg maybe you can post a spinoff on this at sjclub?

David Merrill
Come and Get Some!

Finding Quatloos down always gives me a thrill!

I too checked it out yesterday, curious about the chatter and crosstalk.
Chrisfs

Post by Chrisfs »

Geesh,
I happened to poke my head in after a while and there's a server crash. That's what happens where you discuss TP theories so bad that they were never meant for rational ears. Wingnuttery so bad that it crashes servers.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Yes, its good to be back and online!
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

But, once again, the new system will not recognize me -- so I'm now Prof3! I hope I have 9 lives like my cats.
"My Health is Better in November."
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Shh! We "crashed" the server because the diller72 thread was going so badly for the forces of darkness.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

prof3 wrote:But, once again, the new system will not recognize me -- so I'm now Prof3! I hope I have 9 lives like my cats.
No, but you have tripled the tax burdern on yourself by creating all of these strawmen.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

The Observer wrote:
prof3 wrote:But, once again, the new system will not recognize me -- so I'm now Prof3! I hope I have 9 lives like my cats.
No, but you have tripled the tax burdern on yourself by creating all of these strawmen.
REFUSED FOR CAUSE - His screen name was not in ALL CAPS. Image
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Lambkin wrote:Shh! We "crashed" the server because the diller72 thread was going so badly for the forces of darkness.
Speaking of which, has diller72's profile been retrieved? I wanted to hear his explanantion as to why his wages aren't taxable.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Quixote wrote:Speaking of which, has diller72's profile been retrieved? I wanted to hear his explanantion as to why his wages aren't taxable.
Right.

I'd bet killerdiller is breathing a huge sigh of relief about now.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Considering the forum was restored from a backup dated 04/28/08 and diller's profile and posts were all dated after that, I think it's a fair assumption that he'll have to re-register and the discussion will have to be started all over again.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

As a former IT person, I'd wonder why it was restored by a backup at least two weeks old?
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

[quote="ASITStands"]As a former IT person, I'd wonder why it was restored by a backup at least two weeks old?[/quote]

The more recent backups were corrupted. Having recently switched to the new phpBB ver. 3 didn't make things any easier. Big kudos to Webhick and Quatloos' web designer John Barrick for working double-overtime to get back up with only a couple of weeks' loss.

Now, we'll see how GoDaddy's server service stands up ................
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

I've hosted hundreds of websites for the last 4 years. If a new server or somewhere to store backups is needed drop me a line, I'd be happy to help.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Joey Smith wrote:Big kudos to Webhick
I didn't do anything. It was all John.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

webhick wrote:
Modesty becomes you.

When are we going to hear the phantasized/mythologized version?
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Okay, I admit it. It was me. I was obsessively searching for "Hot Squirrel on Squirrel Action Tax Deduction" when the server went down.
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
webhick

Post by webhick »

ASITStands wrote:
webhick wrote:
Modesty becomes you.
If I was being modest, I would have admitted earlier to being an idiot and assuming that any drive health issues would have been taken care of after the user table corruption happened and that we had been working with a healthy drive since then.

If someone sees a bit of data corruption on XP, they just shrug their shoulders and run a scandisk to catch anything else. It's the nature of the beast. If it happens consistently, they'll check the drive health. If someone sees a bit of data corruption on linux - they start checking that drive's health immediately. In my experience, linux is crazy reliable. The only time I've had data corruption on the debian-only partition was when the whole drive was dying. I had been working in XP a lot at the time and it was the first time I booted into linux in over a month. I loath to think of what would have happened if I didn't boot into linux that day.

The odds of there being a "next time" are slim now, but if there is, I won't be making the same mistake again.