New refund penalty enacted last year

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

New refund penalty enacted last year

Post by Demosthenes »

I don't watch the Hendrickson loonies all that closely these days. Have they been hit yet with the new civil refund penalty?

This went into law last May so it should be hitting soon.
26 USCS § 6676

§ 6676. Erroneous claim for refund or credit.

(a) Civil penalty. If a claim for refund or credit with respect to income tax (other than a claim for a refund or credit relating to the earned income credit under section 32 [26 USCS § 32]) is made for an excessive amount, unless it is shown that the claim for such excessive amount has a reasonable basis, the person making such claim shall be liable for a penalty in an amount equal to 20 percent of the excessive amount.

(b) Excessive amount. For purposes of this section, the term "excessive amount" means in the case of any person the amount by which the amount of the claim for refund or credit for any taxable year exceeds the amount of such claim allowable under this title for such taxable year.

(c) Coordination with other penalties. This section shall not apply to any portion of the excessive amount of a claim for refund or credit which is subject to a penalty imposed under part II of subchapter A of chapter 68 [26 USCS §§ 6662 et seq.].
Demo.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: New refund penalty enacted last year

Post by Demosthenes »

I just looked it up. The Treasury regs on this subject are due to come out shortly.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: New refund penalty enacted last year

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:I just looked it up. The Treasury regs on this subject are due to come out shortly.
And we all know that the statute is ineffectual and meaningless without an implementing regulation.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.