Marginally competent can't be own counsel

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Marginally competent can't be own counsel

Post by The Observer »

A lot of Soviet dissidents had to endure challenges to their mental competency due to the fact that the regime found it a lot easier to declare them mentally ill which opened the door to having the embarrassing dissedent muzzled by being institutionalized. If that didn't work, they could always challenge the dissident's complaint based on the fact that he or she had a "history" of "mental illness".

I don't think it will take long for TPs to start looking at rulings like this and suddenly start drawing wild-assed comparisons to the KGB.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

The Observer wrote:A lot of Soviet dissidents had to endure challenges to their mental competency due to the fact that the regime found it a lot easier to declare them mentally ill which opened the door to having the embarrassing dissedent muzzled by being institutionalized. If that didn't work, they could always challenge the dissident's complaint based on the fact that he or she had a "history" of "mental illness".

I don't think it will take long for TPs to start looking at rulings like this and suddenly start drawing wild-assed comparisons to the KGB.
With Van Pelt leading the charge.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

The Observer wrote:A lot of Soviet dissidents had to endure challenges to their mental competency due to the fact that the regime found it a lot easier to declare them mentally ill which opened the door to having the embarrassing dissedent muzzled by being institutionalized. If that didn't work, they could always challenge the dissident's complaint based on the fact that he or she had a "history" of "mental illness".

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I think that if you're declared competent to stand trial, you should be competent to defend yourself and have that right. If you're not competent to defend yourself maybe the decision to have them stand trial needs reexamining. I don't know, something doesn't seem right about this to me.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Imalawman wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I think that if you're declared competent to stand trial, you should be competent to defend yourself and have that right. If you're not competent to defend yourself maybe the decision to have them stand trial needs reexamining. I don't know, something doesn't seem right about this to me.
An observation/question from a layman: Does being ruled competent to stand trial imply that you would, 1. understand the charges against you, and 2. be competent enough to offer information to your counsel as a part of your defense? If these are both true then why couldn't one serve as his own counsel?

Thanks.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Imalawman wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this, I think that if you're declared competent to stand trial, you should be competent to defend yourself and have that right. If you're not competent to defend yourself maybe the decision to have them stand trial needs reexamining. I don't know, something doesn't seem right about this to me.
Does it logically follow that if you are competent to stand trial, that you are competent to defend yourself? As a layman, even though I am competent to stand trial, I sure wouldn't want to take the position that I am competent to defend myself in a court of law - even though I have that right.

And in the above situation regarding the mentally ill, I am not sure what the definition of "competence" means in the mind of the court. The situation here appears to mean that the defendant was physically able to appear in court, but apparently still suffering from his/her mental illness.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I guess the problem I have is that if they are NOT competent to defend themselves, then HOW can they be competent to stand trial? I find, and have always found this kind of double standard disturbing. On the positive side, with this ruling someone in that state is “hopefully” less likely to be railroaded into a sentence. I still find it disturbing though.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.