The psychology of "user names" for tax protesters

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
RyanMcC

Re: The psychology of "user names" for tax protesters

Post by RyanMcC »

Typical cult behavior. Anyone in the group who has been shown the "truth" and "believes" is enlightened, somehow more special, informed, or patriotic than the rest of the world. The rest of the world (wogs, unbelievers, apostates, liberals) sit in darkness and ignorance of the "truth" as revealed in their Holy Book "Cracking the Code: The fascinating truth about taxation in America".

In fact many loyal CtC adherents feel pity for the rest of the world as they are still being "decieved" by the evil one (US government, IRS), and refuse to "see the light". Evangalism is a very important thing for an CtC devotee. It is important to "open the eyes" of the rest of the world and help them to "wake up". You can do this by handing out CtC books to the "unawakened", or contribute to the "legal offense fund".

Their great Spiritual Master cannot be wrong. All the courts that ruled against him did so because they are corrupt tools of Satan (IRS). All judges, lawyers, CPAs, IRS agents are part of a grand conspiracy to defame the great Spiritual Master, and are unpatriotic freedom-haters. Anyone who is not a lawyer, judge, CPA, IRS agent, is not an authority and doesn't have a "professional opinion" to offer in rebuttal. (Scientologists do this with Psychiatrists, Psychiatrists are part of an evil conspiracy to destroy Scientology, and anyone who isn't a Psychiatrist certainly isn't qualified to speak on matters of the mind and can be easily disreguarded). It is about discrediting the only professionals that can rebut your nonsense, then claiming anyone else isn't "qualified" to speak on the issue.

Of course a loyal CtC devotee can expect salvation, to be "totally free" of Satan's (the IRS) devices, if they simply follow the doctrine (CtC, confusing legal briefs), and obey the "spiritual master". The rest of the "unbelievers" (taxpayers) will be damned to serve Satan (the IRS) for the rest of eternity.

Guru is a very fitting term for Pete (pbuh). :mrgreen:
Last edited by RyanMcC on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

And of course, if you point out the flaws in the TP logic, they accuse you of being a "government shill". In their minds, you cannot oppose their delusional thinking without also being part of, or connected to, the "evil government" yourself.

The other thing is that if you are a lawyer or CPA (especially if you are a lawyer), many tax protesters will automatically hate you and will not spare words in letting you know their feelings. In another web site I once had one of them threaten me (indirectly) with a comment something along the lines of "your kind will one day again hang from trees" -- an apparent reference to an unspecified time and place where, apparently, some lawyers were hanged because they were lawyers.

Railing against lawyers, judges, and law enforcement people -- it's pretty common among tax protesters. Many of them seem to view lawyers, judges and law enforcement people as sort of sub-human. (Never mind the fact that many of our Founding Fathers were lawyers, for example.)

I have read a lot about Adolf Hitler (I know, I know, I'm comparing tax protesters to Hitler, oh my gosh) and one of the things that I have seen in the commentary on him is that in many of his speeches, especially the early speeches as he was rising to power, is a reference to Hitler's view of himself (and Germany) as always being a "victim." It was always Hitler (Germany) that was the persecuted one, the innocent one. I see very similar rhetoric among many tax protesters. It's very pervasive. I just think it would be fascinating to read a good paper on the psychopathology of tax protesters and similar delusional, paranoid types.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

CaptainKickback wrote:Also, include phrases like:

"I heard it in a podcast of this guy...."

"It's an internet radio show that comes on at 2:00 AM Sunday morning....."

"I'm stocking up on gold when everything collapses next year....."

"Ron Paul said......."

"Some people just don't know their place......."

And toss in organizations like The Trilateral Commission, The Bilderberg Group, The G-8, The World Court, The International Monetary Fund, and of course, the Masons.
You forgot Bohemian Grove.

One of my favorite tax fundamentalist missteps is when they on about the CtC, or Freedom to Farcism, and when confronted with real history and laws regarding income tax, they admonish me to "find the truth" or "do the research". The Irony Meter usually blows a gasket and I laugh and move onto to something more interesting.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:My personal standards for usernames regardless of forum are as follows: if it includes "truth", "patriot", "freedom", or my special favorite "wolf", then they're a kook.

Off topic - hey, does Mr. M need a title? I think admiral is a stock title isn't it? If so, I think its about time for a title. My two cents.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Imalawman wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:My personal standards for usernames regardless of forum are as follows: if it includes "truth", "patriot", "freedom", or my special favorite "wolf", then they're a kook.

Off topic - hey, does Mr. M need a title? I think admiral is a stock title isn't it? If so, I think its about time for a title. My two cents.
I would graciously accept a title, as long as it doesn't include "truth", "freedom"....... :mrgreen:
FreeTaxTruthPatriot

Post by FreeTaxTruthPatriot »

I resent this thread, your all wrong. You just don't know the truth about the Zionist Freemasons at Bohemian Grove, and the Trilateral Commission to.

Remember, George Washington once said:

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism."

Your gonna be sorry when everything collapses next year, I would debate it with you but Im just to smart and you would loose.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

FreeTaxTruthPatriot wrote:I resent this thread, your all wrong. You just don't know the truth about the Zionist Freemasons at Bohemian Grove, and the Trilateral Commission to.

Your gonna be sorry when everything collapses next year, I would debate it with you but Im just to smart and you would loose.
"FreeTaxTruthPatriot"! Omigosh! Who created the perfect stereotypical tax protester version of Frankenstein?!?!?

It's alivvvvvee! It livvves!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

FreeTaxTruthPatriot wrote:I resent this thread, your all wrong. You just don't know the truth about the Zionist Freemasons at Bohemian Grove, and the Trilateral Commission to.

I knew that somewhere, sometime today, the following would be appropriate to post on Quatloos:
Sarcasm Seen as Evolutionary Survival Skill Meredith F. Small
LiveScience's Human Nature Columnist
LiveScience.com
Fri Jun 20, 9:45 AM ET

Humans are fundamentally social animals. Our social nature means that we interact with each other in positive, friendly ways, and it also means we know how to manipulate others in a very negative way.

Neurophysiologist Katherine Rankin at the University of California, San Francisco, has also recently discovered that sarcasm, which is both positively funny and negatively nasty, plays an important part in human social interaction.

So what?

I mean really, who cares? Oh for God's sake. Don't you have anything better to do that read this column?

According to Dr. Rankin, if you didn't get the sarcastic tone of the previous sentences you must have some damage to your parahippocampal gyrus which is located in the right brain. People with dementia, or head injuries in that area, often lose the ability to pick up on sarcasm, and so they don't respond in a socially appropriate ways.

Presumably, this is a pathology, which in turn suggests that sarcasm is part of human nature and probably an evolutionarily good thing.

How might something so, well, sarcastic as sarcasm, be part of the human social toolbox?

Evolutionary biologists claim that sociality is what has made humans such a successful species. We are masters at what anthropologists and others call "social intelligence." We recognize and keep track of hundreds of relationships, and we easily distinguish between enemies and friends.

More important, we run our lives by social calculation. A favor is mentally recorded and paid back, sometimes many years later. Likewise, insults are marked down on the mental score card in indelible ink. And we are constantly bickering and making up, even with people we love.

Sarcasm, then, is a verbal hammer that connects people in both a negative and positive way. We know that sense of humor is important to relationships; if someone doesn't get your jokes, they aren't likely to be your friend (or at least that's my bottom line about friendship). Sarcasm is simply humor's dark side, and it would be just as disconcerting if a friend didn't get your snide remarks.

It's also easy to imagine how sarcasm might be selected over time as evolutionarily crucial. Imagine two ancient humans running across the savannah with a hungry lion in pursuit. One guy says to the other, "Are we having fun yet?" and the other just looks blank and stops to figure out what in the world his pal meant by that remark. End of friendship, end of one guy's contribution to the future of the human gene pool.

Fast forward a few million years and the network of human relationships is wider and more complex, and just as important to survival. The corporate chairman throws out a sarcastic remark and those who "get" it laugh, smile, and gain favor. In the same way, if the chair never makes a remark, sarcastic people are making them behind his or her back, forming a clique by their mutually negative, but funny, comments. Either way, sarcasm plays a role in making and breaking alliances and friendship.

Thanks goodness, because life without out sarcasm would be a dull and way too nice place to be, if you ask me.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... jt.IGs0NUE
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

You could be spending your time better by finishing your book instead of posting as a TP.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Was Ryan, not me.

I'd have gone with a Jefferson quote.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

You failed the test. You used a legitimate quotation.

It should have been a bogus citation from the dissenting opinion of an obsolete ruling from a pre-statehood territorial court.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:Was Ryan, not me.

I'd have gone with a Jefferson quote.
Wow, he got a new identity that quick? I thought we were being more circumspect about letting anyone in the front door after the Mr. Coffee incident.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

The Observer wrote:You could be spending your time better by finishing your book instead of posting as a TP.
Should it not more properly be stated: " You could be spending your time better by finishing your alleged book instead of posting as a TP" ?
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

jg wrote:
The Observer wrote:You could be spending your time better by finishing your book instead of posting as a TP.
Should it not more properly be stated: " You could be spending your time better by finishing your alleged book instead of posting as a TP" ?
I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and trying to provide some motivation. After all, I would like to see the book published before the end of the century.

Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

Would "Veritastalker" be OK?
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Thank God for you people. I just got out of the hospital and this definitely brightened my day.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Not serious, and thanks for asking. Felt lousy, fever, infection, went to the hospital, got pumped up with antibiotics, stayed the night, came home with a big bag of pills.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

fortinbras wrote:Not serious, and thanks for asking. Felt lousy, fever, infection, went to the hospital, got pumped up with antibiotics, stayed the night, came home with a big bag of pills.
Don't mention the "P" word. WebHick will be down there in a second. The interns are going through withdrawal.
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

It should have been a bogus citation from the dissenting opinion of an obsolete ruling from a pre-statehood territorial court.
Followed by somebody quoting the whole citation and saying "good find!"
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I think we need to come up with a way to provide some realism for names.

Back in the day, 'call signs' were basically assigned by other pilots in the squadron. Some of these had connections to some physical attribute or the pilot's name or in a few cases were the names of other people (including cartoon characters) that seemed to fit.

So, fellow Quatloosians, from what we have observed here and other places around the 'net, what would you pick as a call-sign for some of the better-known denizens of these environs?

I'll start with:

Famspear - Bullwinkle (from the Rocky & Bullwinkle segments where Bullwinkle takes the role of "Mister Know-it-all").

Demosthenes - Pythia (the priestess of the Oracle at Delphi).

8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three