US Attorney Wants Snipes Behind Bars

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
The Observer
Further Moderator

US Attorney Wants Snipes Behind Bars

Post by The Observer »

OCALA.COM

Prosecutors: Snipes 'should be in custody'

By Fred Hiers
Star-Banner

Published: Friday, June 20, 2008 at 11:49 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, June 20, 2008 at 11:54 a.m.

OCALA - Actor Wesley Snipes' freedom as he appeals his 36-month sentence on three misdemeanor charges for not filing taxes could be in peril.

The U.S. Attorney's Office filed a motion Thursday with the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit saying that it will appeal a U.S. district judge's May 22 decision allowing Snipes to remain free on bond while he appeals his three-year sentence. The sentence was the maximum allowed for his crimes.

"We want him in custody," said Steve Cole, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office. "He's been convicted by a jury. He has been sentenced to three years and he should be in custody."

On May 22, Judge William Terrell Hodges penned an order saying "the court is persuaded by the history of the case and all of the attendant circumstances that the defendant poses no substantial risk of flight and does not constitute a danger of any kind if he remains at liberty pending appeal."

Snipes' lawyers had argued for leniency while the federal prosecutors sought the maximum penalty.

Cole said the appellate court could takes weeks, or even months, to make a decision on the U.S. Attorney's Office motion.

After the April 25 sentencing, Snipes handed Hodges three checks totaling $5 million in back taxes. Cole said the Internal Revenue Department and the U.S. Attorney's Office were working together to determine just how much the actor, best known for his "Blade" vampire films, still has to pay.

Previously, federal officials have estimated he owed about $17 million in back taxes, fines and interest.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: US Attorney Wants Snipes Behind Bars

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:OCALA.COM

Prosecutors: Snipes 'should be in custody'

By Fred Hiers
Star-Banner

[ . . . ]

the Eleventh Circuit saying that it will appeal a U.S. district judge's May 22 decision allowing Snipes to remain free on bond while he appeals his three-year sentence. The sentence was the maximum allowed for his crimes.

"We want him in custody," said Steve Cole, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office. "He's been convicted by a jury. He has been sentenced to three years and he should be in custody."

On May 22, Judge William Terrell Hodges penned an order saying "the court is persuaded by the history of the case and all of the attendant circumstances that the defendant poses no substantial risk of flight and does not constitute a danger of any kind if he remains at liberty pending appeal."

Previously, federal officials have estimated he owed about $17 million in back taxes, fines and interest.
Yeah, somebody at the IRS would like to get his money into custody!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet