First there was Body of the Lord

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

First there was Body of the Lord

Post by Demosthenes »

Then there was Sonne of Man. Turns out the Sonny who broke into the Brown house this summer was a different wacko than the one who lived with the Browns as their spiritual advisor last year. Same cult, different cult member.

Plainfield

Judge doesn't forgive his trespass
Man says God sent him to Browns' land

By Margot Sanger-Katz
August 13, 2008

Mark Anthony McDaniels asks for the name printed in his Bible, Israel Sonneosman, to be entered into the record in Claremont District Court yesterday where he was found guilty of trespassing.

A man who brought three Bibles, an air mattress and vegetable seeds to the seized former-home of Ed and Elaine Brown this summer was found guilty yesterday of criminal trespassing and receiving stolen property.

The man, who identified himself to police Israel Sonneosman, said he had been sent by God to be a "steward" of the Browns' 103-acre Plainfield property in June, despite a gate, no trespassing signs and an alarm system installed by the U.S. treasury department to deter visitors. According to testimony, he removed several of the signs and replaced them with homemade placards, calling the property "House of Prayer."

"We were sent by the Lord to claim his property and his house - the house of prayer - and to be the steward of it," said the longhaired, bearded man, who testified in his own defense during a trial in Claremont District Court. A police officer and his mother identified him as Mark Anthony McDaniels, 52, of Hawaii. But McDaniels called himself "the comforter," and Judge John Yazinski addressed him as "Mr. Son of Man."

Yazinski found McDaniels guilty of the two crimes, but found him not guilty of a third charge, for refusing to cooperate with officers during the booking process. He sentenced him to 60 days in jail, which he had already served, and a 6 month suspended sentence that would be dismissed in two years if he did not return to the Browns' former home.

"We will not go back to the property until we have it in writing that we are the possessor," McDaniels told the judge.

"And whose writing will satisfy you?" Yazinski asked.

"We will have to go above," McDaniels explained.

The Browns conducted a lengthy standoff with federal officials last year, after they evaded prison sentences for tax related crimes and holed up in their spacious, self-sufficient home with bombs, guns and supporters. They were arrested by an undercover team of U.S. marshals in October, and their property was seized by the treasury department to repay their tax debt after other federal agents removed the dozens of bombs, booby traps and other hazards.

Among their many visitors was a man Ed Brown called "Sonny," who spent several days with the couple in March 2007, and helped them refine their religious views. Shortly after Sonny's visit, the couple discussed their conversion to a non-denominational form of Christianity - Ed Brown had previously described himself as "agnostic" - and filed documents in the federal district court indicating they had changed their names to Edward, a Living Soul in the Body of the Lord, of the House of Israel, and Elaine, a Living Soul in the Body of the Lord, of the House of Israel.

Sonny was described by friends of the Browns as a bearded man from Hawaii who wore white clothes and sandals and carried a plane ticket in the name "The Lord's Body." He advised them, Ed Brown said at the time, to use the 1611 edition of the King James Bible, the same version that McDaniels referred to repeatedly throughout the trial yesterday.

Despite similarities in attire and religious views, Plainfield Cpl. Paul Roberts said that the police do not think that McDaniels was the man who visited the Browns during the standoff. Surveillance photographs taken at the Manchester airport of "Sonny" show a stockier man with a whiter, fuller beard.

"It was not the same comforter," Roberts said.

Several officers testified yesterday that McDaniels carried no identification at the time of his arrest and refused to be photographed or fingerprinted. When asked to identify himself, he showed officers a note written in his well-worn copy of the 1611 Bible.

McDaniels said that his unwillingness to submit to photographs and fingerprinting was not intended to impede the investigation.

"For me to do this act would slay my soul and also the soul of the person who took the photograph," he said yesterday, citing the Ten Commandment prohibition on idolatry. "We do not want to harm any living soul."

Plainfield Police Chief Gordon Gillens said he first encountered McDaniels when he responded to reports of an alarm on the former Brown property. He saw McDaniels on the front porch of the house, he said, clad in a white outfit and carrying a white bag around his neck. Later, the police determined that the bag contained a Bible and other personal effects. At the time, Gillens was concerned that it might hold a gun.

Gillens said he was able to persuade McDaniels to lie on the ground while he waited for backup. He noticed an air mattress and several other bags set up near the porch.

"I was concerned," Gillens said. "He kept referring to two other individuals with him. Eventually, I did figure out that he was referring to Jesus and God. But I thought those could be names of other people."

McDaniels represented himself at trial, speaking mostly in the first person plural and beginning each examination with the salutation, "Greetings." He asked all the police officers who met him whether he had showed them "our" Bible.

Barbara McDaniels, who attended the trial, said that her son had been swept up by a group of religious extremists in 2004. Since his involvement in the group, which she believed is called the "House of Israel," her son has given up his possessions and limited his communication with family members, she said.

"He sleeps out in the weather. He lives like a homeless person," she said. "And yet he's at peace with it."

Before 2004, McDaniels lived a normal life in Hawaii with his wife and two children, his mother said, working as the superintendent of a shopping mall there. She said he became involved with the group when he was going through a "very low time in his life," after his wife filed for divorce.

Roberts said that McDaniels's arrest record spanned back into the 1980s, and he had several recent convictions for criminal contempt. Other old charges, for assaults and driving while intoxicated, had been dropped.

Barbara McDaniels said she had attended the trial yesterday in hopes of persuading McDaniels to return home with her to Minnesota and sever his ties with the religious group.

"It would take a miracle," she said.

The Browns are serving federal prison sentences for their tax crimes but have not been charged in connection with the standoff. Four other Brown supporters have been convicted of felonies for helping the couple. One received a 20 year prison sentence in July.
To see a picture of Sonneofman, go here:

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /808130362
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: First there was Body of the Lord

Post by Famspear »

Demosthenes wrote:To see a picture of Sonneofman, go here:

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /808130362
He's wearing a nice suit, but orange is not my color.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

"We will not go back to the property until we have it in writing that we are the possessor," McDaniels told the judge.

This could be interesting.........
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dezcad wrote:

This could be interesting.........
I thought so also until I remembered reading this:
"I was concerned," Gillens said. "He kept referring to two other individuals with him. Eventually, I did figure out that he was referring to Jesus and God. But I thought those could be names of other people."
Nowhere do I remember reading that the police also took Jesus and God in and booked them. The only conclusion that I could come to is that they both fled and left McDaniels to face the music. I can't imagine that Jesus and God are going to turn around and issue written authorization to McDaniels to take possession of the property; after one close brush with the law I am pretty sure they wised up and are going to avoid getting involved with any more of McDaniel's wild escapades.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Got a little challenge for you all...

Can anyone definitely tie the House of Israel cult in Hawaii to the House of Israel cult in Texas?

Here's what I've got so far.

1) Body of the Lord (real name unknown) and Sonneofman (real name Mark Anthony McDaniel) belong to a cult in Hawaii named House of Israel. Among their core beliefs are British Israelism / Christian Identity and the sovereign citizen garbage. Mark McDaniel joined the cult in 2003. They don't seem to have had much of a presence before then.

2) The Body of the Lord flew to New Hampshire and stayed with Ed and Elaine when their standoff started to get some significant publicity. When he left their home, he apparently traveled to Wisconsin to help other families in legal trouble start their own armed standoffs.

2) The Republic of Texas group's prior President was named Larry McDaniel. Like Mark McDaniel and Body of the Lord, Larry looks like a guitarist for ZZ Top.

3) The Republic of Texas has a spinoff group religious named the House of Israel, with similar beliefs to the one in Hawaii - Christian Identity / Sovereign movement, etc. The cult is led by long term faux lawyer Robert James Fox. He's been labeled a vexatious litigant by the Texas courts and we've seen his name a few times here on Quatloos. He is currently a wanted fugitive on charges of barratry and felony drug possession.

4) The House of Israel in Texas has also been charged with practicing dentistry without a license and hoarding medical waste. :shock:

5) The House of Israel in Texas tried to ally itself with the John Walker Lindh terrorism case by writing a typical sovereign garbage filing.

6) Larry McDaniel traveled to Hawaii in 2003 to provide support to the Kingdom of Hawaii sovereign group.

So far, what I have could be explained by coincidence. Can anyone draw any stronger lines?
Demo.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

The only thing I can add to Demo's history is that there's some evidence that the Hawaii Sonnies have not been in Hawaii since 2005--though the details seemed a little sketchy. Apparently, it's hard to track the movements of people who don't fly or use identification. A Plainfield police officer said he thought that McDaniels had been living in Michigan before he came to NH.