Another Pilot

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Another Pilot

Post by Joey Smith »

- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Lasagna

Re: Another Pilot

Post by Lasagna »

The insane number of tax protesting pilots really, really makes me never want to fly again.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Having never known an airline pilot I really have no idea why there are so many pilots. Is there a typical personality trait that pilot's have that lends itself to accepting crackpot theories?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

The insane number of tax protesting pilots really, really makes me never want to fly again.
You might be right.

A wood-shop teacher back in the late '60s became a Northwest pilot. Not that he was a TP, but it does make you wonder. I flew a ton in the '80s. Zero since. Retired is better. No worries.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Lasagna wrote:The insane number of tax protesting pilots really, really makes me never want to fly again.

I still go to dentists despite their recent track record.
Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster »

You're looking at this entirely the wrong way!

The continue hot air emitted by TP pilots provided additional lift/bouyancy to the aircraft, resulting in a smooth, safe flight. :mrgreen:

It may be that pilots tend to make a bit more FRNs so they make for higher profile targets. When the hammer comes down the press is more likely to notice.

One of Canada's more high profile TPs was a pilot in the US. I believe he had IRS troubles as well. (Eldon Warman)
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Dezcad wrote:
Lasagna wrote:The insane number of tax protesting pilots really, really makes me never want to fly again.

You can look your dentist in the eye. The best you'll get from your commercial airline pilot is a disembodied voice and news about how much longer it'll be before take-off and/or landing. Oh, and a smattering of warnings about turbulence.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

It is hard to figure out. Commercial pilots learn very quickly that they must respect authority (Air Traffic Control -- disobey ATC even once and you'll find your wings immediately clipped by the FAA), and many of them have military backgrounds that all require the respect of authority, even if there is cynicism.

I think the biggest problem is, as with medicos, that they have utterly no formal training in law or accounting and so whoever comes to them with a story that plays to their personal greed (especially in the case of chiropractors and dentists who have inferiority complexes to physicians to begin with) has a chance of planting the seed in their mind that soon matures into the smelly weed, simply because they do not know any better. This is exactly why I think Kuglin was able to avoid jail -- she really didn't know that she had to pay taxes and that is what the jury found.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

You can look your dentist in the eye
Not if her name is Elaine. And certainly not if she's wielding a drill aimed anywhere near your mouth.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

. wrote:
You can look your dentist in the eye
Not if her name is Elaine. And certainly not if she's wielding a drill aimed anywhere near your mouth.
I imagine that if you went to Elaine for dentistry, you would have had an opportunity to look her in the eyes, would have seen the bottomless pits within and backed slowly out of the room.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

From what I understand, pilots initially don't make a lot of money. In fact, a lot of them meet the requirements to be eligible for welfare, food stamps and the like.

The problem is so bad that one airline actually sent out a memo threatening to fire any pilot who they found to have applied for public assistance.

Nowadays when I fly, I used to check to see if the pilot had been drinking. Now I'm looking for stray Kibbles n' Bits.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I always avoid the planes where the pilot is standing outside the cockpit with a sign that says "Will Fly For Food."
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

Oh no.... dentists are a problem now as well? Since when?
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Lasagna wrote:
Oh no.... dentists are a problem now as well? Since when?
Geeze, Lasagna, where've you been? Dentists are the TP du jour. Not a day goes by around here we don't hear of a dentist trying to short-sheet the government.

Them and, of course, chiropractors.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Lasagna

Post by Lasagna »

Geeze, Lasagna, where've you been? Dentists are the TP du jour. Not a day goes by around here we don't hear of a dentist trying to short-sheet the government.
Oh man. My dentist is from Illinois, and Judge Roy Bean has already warned me about the denizens of the fly-over states. If I find out that my dentist has a pilot's license, I should probably take off running, huh?

And why do I always have so much trouble spelling the word "pilot"? It seems like every time I write it, I have to write it three times before I get it right. "Piolet?" No. "Pilet?" No. "Piolot?" Come on!
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Lasagna wrote:
Oh man. My dentist is from Illinois, and Judge Roy Bean has already warned me about the denizens of the fly-over states. If I find out that my dentist has a pilot's license, I should probably take off running, huh?

And why do I always have so much trouble spelling the word "pilot"? It seems like every time I write it, I have to write it three times before I get it right. "Piolet?" No. "Pilet?" No. "Piolot?" Come on!
This gives me an idea for a movie: Attack of the Shape-Shifting Fifty-Foot Tall Dentist-Pilot Chiropracting Tax Protesters.

"The horror....... the horror........."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

This gives me an idea for a movie: Attack of the Shape-Shifting Fifty-Foot Tall Dentist-Pilot Chiropracting Tax Protesters.

"The horror....... the horror........."
Clarification: "Chiropracting" is the stuff that's done by people who "chiropract" - you know, the chiropractors. Those people.

I think.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Consider that many of them are ex-military. Add in they are almost all union members. Couple that with almost no autonomy when it comes to performing your job - procedure and regulation are a huge part of your work experience. But like those in the medical profession, they have a tendency to believe they are smarter than most people. If they were fighter pilots they not only have that tendency, they are damn sure they are. :wink:

I think there's a bit of underground-rebel in many of them in part because their work is so highly regulated.

And Lasagna, "pirate" is an officially recognized Engrish synonym. :lol:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Bashful

Post by Bashful »

Being a private pilot and involved with aviation, I am acquainted with a bunch of airline pilots. I have noted that a lot of them are also huge penny pinchers. And many also have this attitude that "I am god" and you are nothing.

I think that combining this arrogance and cheapness makes them good targets for TP schemes.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Wow. I thought all pilots were barnstormers or aerial aces at heart.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4