Sooey asks for help

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Nikki

Sooey asks for help

Post by Nikki »

in a new thread, a lightweight named Gracie needs help dealing with the IRS. She started posting about a year ago regarding changes the IRS made to her husband's withholding claims.
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. IRS has sent four 2566Sc/CG letters-proposed individual income tax assessment. They want to go back as far as 2002. Is there anything that we can do to stop this? They have his status and Married filing Separate. We have not filed since 1998.
Thanks,
gracie
Any one care to help her out?
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Re: Sooey asks for help

Post by The Operative »

Nikki wrote: Any one care to help her out?
Sure. Follow these steps...

1. Go to a tax professional.

2. File tax returns for any years you did not file.

3. Call IRS, repent, and be prepared to pay.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
hartley

Post by hartley »

The Operative wrote:

Maybe not. It's possible they might be due refunds, if they file MFJ returns for those years, and can itemize deductions, where the substitute returns for him are MFS and taking the standard deduction. That happened quite a bit, actually, when I worked for the IRS.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

hartley wrote:
The Operative wrote:

Maybe not. It's possible they might be due refunds, if they file MFJ returns for those years, and can itemize deductions, where the substitute returns for him are MFS and taking the standard deduction. That happened quite a bit, actually, when I worked for the IRS.
I was being facetious. You are right in that they might be due refunds when proper deductions and filing status are used. As for the years prior to 2002, it is possible that the IRS filed substitute returns for them in 1998 through 2001 that showed they were due refunds and might be the reason they haven't been contacted by the IRS until now.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

hartley wrote:That happened quite a bit, actually, when I worked for the IRS.
I've seen a lot of it too. All that fussing and fighting for nothing.

Of course, earlier years [i.e., those beyond the three-limit limitation] will not be eligible for refunds and credits, but "zeroing out the account" by filing returns is always good. I tell them, "It's always good to file a tax return when you don't owe much of anything."

And, many in the tax movement actually owe less than they think.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The IRS regularly issues press releases warning people who have not filed income tax returns that they are about to lose their refunds due to the expiration of the statute of limitations. For example, see this March 2008 press release in which the IRS announced that they had $1.2 billion in possible refunds that would expire unless returns were filed before 4/15/2008.

(But then again, it might have been just one of those scams to lure people into filing, like the police sometimes tell fugitives that they have won a prize and then arrest them when they show up to claim it.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Just curious. What if the returns were filed?

When you're down in the nickel and dime world of a lot of little people out here in flyover country, you tend to find things that point out how the statistical fringe is sometimes indicative, if not just funny.

I've seen one bankruptcy case where the IRS can identify the CPA who filed but can't seem to find the filing itself. How that professional's name got attached to a non-filing is still a mystery.

There will always be anomalies. It's the patterns that matter.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three