PRA Fails Again

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

PRA Fails Again

Post by LPC »

But no additional sanctions on appeal.

Gregory D. Vence v. Commissioner, No. 08-11960 (11th Cir. 10/16/2008)
GREGORY D. VENCE,
Petitioner-Appellant,
v,
COMMISSIONER OF IRS,
Respondent-Appellee.

[DO NOT PUBLISH]

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT

Non-Argument Calendar

Agency No. 18252-07L

Petition for Review of a Decision of the
United States Tax Court

(October 16, 2008)

Before ANDERSON, HULL and MARCUS, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:

Gregory Vence, proceeding pro se, appeals the tax court's decision in favor of the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") on the Commissioner's motions for summary judgment seeking to sustain a Notice of Determination upholding a proposed levy collection, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 6331, to impose penalty under 26 U.S.C. § 6673, and to permit levy, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 6330.1 On appeal, Vence challenges the penalties imposed on him by the IRS and by the tax court, arguing that he was protected against any penalty resulting from failing to file a return because the 1040 form did not comply with the Paperwork Reduction Act ("PRA"), and therefore, he was not required to respond to it. After careful review, we affirm.

We review de novo the tax court's grant of summary judgment and apply the same legal standards as the tax court. Baptiste v. Comm'r of Internal Revenue, 29 F.3d 1533, 1537 (11th Cir. 1994). Summary judgment is proper "if the pleadings, answers to interrogatories, depositions, admissions, and any other acceptable materials, together with the affidavits, if any, show that there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and that a decision may be rendered as a matter of law." Tax Ct. R. 121(b). We view the facts in the light most favorable to the nonmoving party. Baptiste, 29 F.3d at 1533. We review the tax court's imposition of a sanction for an abuse of discretion. Roberts v. Comm'r of Internal Revenue, 329 F.3d 1224, 1229 (11th Cir. 2003).

The relevant facts are these. After Vence failed to file a tax return for the year 2002, the IRS prepared a return for him, which created an outstanding balance, and the IRS mailed him a Notice of Deficiency. Vence did not respond to the Notice or pay the tax deficiency, and instead, he filed a Request for a Collection Due Process ("CDP") hearing, requesting an abatement of all penalties and interest on the basis that Form 1040 violated the PRA, 44 U.S.C. § 3501, et. seq. Vence did not take part in the CDP hearing that was scheduled and failed to provide the settlement officer with information that she had requested in order to make her determination. As a result, based on the settlement officer's consideration of the case, the IRS sent Vence a Notice of Determination, which detailed certain penalties that the Commissioner had assessed, as well as the tax due, and the Commissioner proposed a levy. Subsequently, Vence filed the instant petition in the tax court, again arguing that the penalties, interest, and additions to his tax due should be abated because Form 1040 violated the PRA, and the Commissioner moved for summary judgment.

First, Vence has not shown that the tax court erred in granting summary judgment to the Commissioner on Vence's tax liability. The Secretary of the IRS "is authorized and required to make the . . . assessments of all taxes (including interest, additional amounts, additions to the tax, and assessable penalties) imposed by this title." 26 U.S.C. § 6201(a). Within 60 days of making an assessment of a tax, the Secretary shall "give notice to each person liable for the unpaid tax, stating the amount and demanding payment thereof." 26 U.S.C. § 6303(a). Section 6321 provides that, "f any person liable to pay any tax neglects or refuses to pay the same after demand, the amount . . . shall be a lien in favor of the United States." 26 U.S.C. § 6321. Additionally, the IRS may collect taxes by levy upon the taxpayer's property within ten days after the Secretary provides notice and demand for payment to the taxpayer. 26 U.S.C. § 6331(a). The taxpayer is then given notice of, and an opportunity for, administrative review of the levy in the form of a CDP hearing by the IRS Office of Appeals, and, if dissatisfied, provided judicial review of the administrative determination. 26 U.S.C. § 6330(a)-(d). If the taxpayer requests a CDP hearing, the collection by levy is suspended during the pendency of the hearing and any judicial review that is sought. 26 U.S.C. § 6330(e)(1).

During a CDP hearing, the taxpayer can raise "any relevant issue relating to the unpaid tax or the proposed levy," including spousal defenses, challenges to the appropriateness of collections actions, and offers of collection alternatives. 26 U.S.C. § 6330(c)(2)(A). The taxpayer also may raise a challenge to the existence or amount of the underlying tax liability, but only "if [he] did not receive any statutory notice of deficiency for such tax liability or did not otherwise have an opportunity to dispute such tax liability." 26 U.S.C. § 6330(c)(2)(B). The tax court has interpreted "underlying tax liability" as used in § 6330 to be "a reference to the amounts that the Commissioner assessed for a particular tax period," including any "statutory interest and penalties." Fransen v. Comm'r, 94 T.C.M. (CCH) 193 n.5 (2007) (quotations omitted).

As the record shows, Vence was given the opportunity to have a CDP hearing, but he did not raise any spousal defenses, challenges to the appropriateness of collections actions, or offers of collection alternatives. See 26 U.S.C. § 6330(c)(2)(A). Furthermore, Vence did not challenge the existence or amount of the underlying liability in his request for a CDP hearing or in his petition for review, and therefore, this argument properly was deemed conceded by the tax court. See Goza v. Comm'r, 114 T.C. 176, 183 (2000) (finding that a petition for review of an administrative determination filed pursuant to § 6330 shall contain clear and concise assignments of each and every error that the petitioner alleges to have been committed in the levy determination, and any issue not raised in the assignments of error shall be deemed to be conceded). Vence was also precluded from challenging in the tax court the existence or amount of the underlying tax liability, which included the interest and penalties assessed, because he was given notice of the deficiency and did not dispute it with the IRS. See 26 U.S.C. § 6330(c)(2)(B); see also Fransen, 94 T.C.M. at 193 n.5. As the tax court properly noted, the record showed that the deficiency notice was sent by certified mail to the same address that Vence used in his proceedings, and there was no evidence that the notice was returned to the Commissioner, nor did Vence contend that he did not receive the notice. Accordingly, the tax court's grant of summary judgment was proper, as there were no genuine issues of material fact that Vence could dispute.

We likewise are unpersuaded that the tax court abused its discretion in imposing sanctions on Vence. The tax court may impose sanctions if it concludes that the taxpayer instituted or maintained proceedings for purposes of delay or based on a frivolous position. Roberts, 329 F.3d at 1229; 26 U.S.C. § 6673(a)(1)(A)-(B). The PRA was intended to limit the paperwork burden that federal agencies could impose on the public by requesting information, and it requires that certain types of agency-generated requests for information be controlled through the Office of Management and Budget ("OMB"). See 44 U.S.C. §§ 3501, 3507. The requirement to file a tax return, however, is mandated by Congress, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 6012(a), not by the IRS, and statutory obligations are not affected by the provisions of the PRA. See United States v. Neff, 954 F.2d 698, 699-700 (11th Cir. 1992) ("Congress did not enact the PRA's public protection provision to allow OMB to abrogate any duty imposed by Congress," and therefore, the PRA did not provide the petitioner "refuge from his statutorily-imposed duty to file income tax returns.") (internal citations omitted).

Here, the tax court determined that Vence had maintained the proceedings primarily for delay, and the arguments that he asserted regarding the PRA were "frivolous and groundless." Despite Vence's contention that he was arguing for an extension of the law, thereby asserting a non-frivolous argument, the tax court found that Vence already had been fined under § 6673 in a previous case in which he asserted the same arguments that he made here, and he was on notice that these arguments were frivolous. Thus, Vence's position was clearly frivolous and provided a sufficient basis for the imposition of sanctions, and the tax court did not abuse its discretion in sanctioning Vence. See 26 U.S.C. § 6673(a)(1)(B). Accordingly, we affirm.

AFFIRMED.

FOOTNOTE

1 Vence does not challenge on appeal the tax court's grant of the Commissioner's motion to permit levy, and therefore, that issue has been abandoned. See Irwin v. Hawk, 40 F.3d 347, 347 n.1 (11th Cir.1994) (noting that a pro se litigant abandons an issue by failing to challenge it on appeal).

END OF FOOTNOTE
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: PRA Fails Again

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Because of the nature of the Internet and site caching, I have the feeling we'll still see these things filed decades from now.

No matter how many times a myth gets busted, there's always someone who isn't up to speed.

It also reflects something I've heard from some nutballs that one of these days someone's going to run into a sympathetic Judge and the secret will finally come out. It's like they assume the judiciary operates in some kind of information vacuum.

They need to play more golf and/or poker. 'Round here, bring decent tequila for both. We always have salt and limes.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Because of the nature of the Internet and site caching, I have the feeling we'll still see these things filed decades from now.

No matter how many times a myth gets busted, there's always someone who isn't up to speed.

It also reflects something I've heard from some nutballs that one of these days someone's going to run into a sympathetic Judge and the secret will finally come out. It's like they assume the judiciary operates in some kind of information vacuum.
That is because TPs operate in an information vacuum - so why wouldn't they assume that a judge would operate in the same way? Believe me, it ain't the site chaching at blame here. You could be showing these guys every court case from day one to the present where the "method" of the day has failed and they are still going to go in the court and argue the same nonsense. Why? Because it costs them very little relatively in terms of time and money to go on these crusades. And from their viewpoint, since they are already in debt because of the unpaid taxes, they have nothing to lose.

As pointed out in another thread, this is their "slot machine" approach to becoming "tax-free."
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:No matter how many times a myth gets busted, there's always someone who isn't up to speed.
You know, if we could find a way to make TPs spontaneously combust, it might be entertaining enough for the Mythbusters to cover it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
TheSaint

Post by TheSaint »

The Observer wrote:You could be showing these guys every court case from day one to the present where the "method" of the day has failed and they are still going to go in the court and argue the same nonsense. Why? Because it costs them very little relatively in terms of time and money to go on these crusades. And from their viewpoint, since they are already in debt because of the unpaid taxes, they have nothing to lose.
And because of their belief in magical thinking. To them, these strategies lose not because they are completely invalid, but because somebody failed to say "abracadabra" at exactly the right moment. Throw in a "the courts are all corrupt because they don't see how right we are" mentality, and they can rationalize any amount of windmill-jousting.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

TheSaint wrote:And because of their belief in magical thinking. To them, these strategies lose not because they are completely invalid, but because somebody failed to say "abracadabra" at exactly the right moment. Throw in a "the courts are all corrupt because they don't see how right we are" mentality, and they can rationalize any amount of windmill-jousting.
Without a doubt. But it also includes the rationalization over the "which-method-really-works" issue as well; this it why you have the pitched battles between TPs (which do create some morbid amusement for me when they erupt) over whose "guru" is really right. All of this suggests a very heavy emotional investment (and probably no small amount of ego as well) for the TPs.

My knee-jerk reaction is that there should be a high filing fee for wanting to have your TP day in court because it is more akin to being a jester than a non-frivolous plaintiff. I think it would stop most of the run-of-the-mill TPs from clogging the courts and hopefully getting to them to stop and think about their situation. But I realize that this would just create another raison d'etre for the TP argument that the courts are corrupt; creating a obstacle to a petition for justice against one segment of society is in itself unjust. And I think this is why we have the frivolous penalty instead.

But what if the frivolous penalty could be considered as contempt of court and could result in jail time in the place of or in addition to a monetary fine?

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

webhick wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:No matter how many times a myth gets busted, there's always someone who isn't up to speed.
You know, if we could find a way to make TPs spontaneously combust, it might be entertaining enough for the Mythbusters to cover it.
Now that's a good idea! I'll get working on that right now!

(turns and exits to the lab with an evil laugh)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

The Observer wrote:
My knee-jerk reaction is that there should be a high filing fee for wanting to have your TP day in court because it is more akin to being a jester than a non-frivolous plaintiff. I think it would stop most of the run-of-the-mill TPs from clogging the courts and hopefully getting to them to stop and think about their situation. But I realize that this would just create another raison d'etre for the TP argument that the courts are corrupt; creating a obstacle to a petition for justice against one segment of society is in itself unjust. And I think this is why we have the frivolous penalty instead.

But what if the frivolous penalty could be considered as contempt of court and could result in jail time in the place of or in addition to a monetary fine?
Forgive me for wasting my youth among engineers and forgetting most of this stuff, but are there not some situations in which you have to pay the taxes in order to file an appeal? And if not, or is only sometimes, why not always or unless relieved by the court?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Gregg wrote:Forgive me for wasting my youth among engineers and forgetting most of this stuff, but are there not some situations in which you have to pay the taxes in order to file an appeal? And if not, or is only sometimes, why not always or unless relieved by the court?
There are some situations where the tax liability has to be paid in full and the taxpayer files a claim with the IRS that will allow the taxpayer to file suit in court if denied. But there are other situations where the taxpayer is allowed to contest a pending assessment or collection activity prior to the liability being paid. And it is these situations where TPs can find their way into court to start their hijinks.

BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

To clarify slightly, If a taxpayer has been issued a "Notice of Deficiency" aka a 90 day letter they have 90 days to petition the Tax Court where they may contest the proposed deficiency without first paying it. Otherwise the tax may be assessed and the taxpayer must pay the amount owed, file a claim for refund and wait until either the IRS disallows the claim or 6 months have passed, then they may file suit in Federal District Court or the U.S. Court of Claims. My recollection is that taxpayers may also seek a redetermination of their liability in bankruptcy court without first paying it.

Tax Court cases may be appealed to the Court of Appeals and even the Supreme Court without first paying the tax, so basically the only reason to pay the tax before disputing it is to try to get a more favorable venue, or because you missed the 90 day deadline.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Tax Court cases may be appealed to the Court of Appeals and even the Supreme Court without first paying the tax, so basically the only reason to pay the tax before disputing it is to try to get a more favorable venue, or because you missed the 90 day deadline.
That's true for income taxes, but certain kinds of taxes (e.g., excises) and certain penalties (including the frivolous return penalty) do not give you the option of going to Tax Court; the only way to get judicial review is to pay and file a claim for refund.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)