Ineffective counsel

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Ineffective counsel

Post by Demosthenes »

It's bad enough when a defendant who represents himself tries to appeal on the basis of ineffective counsel, but when that defendant is also an attorney...

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2008/brar102208.htm
Demo.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Re: Ineffective counsel

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Oh my.

I'm wondering if he should have himself disbarred for being incompetent.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:Oh my.

Too late, the state bar already took care of that for him.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

When he was representing himself, how did he separate his personal defense hours from his advocacy hours to come up with an accurate billing statement?
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Nikki wrote:When he was representing himself, how did he separate his personal defense hours from his advocacy hours to come up with an accurate billing statement?
Ouch.

Probably by way of the same method he used to figure that he didn't owe any taxes.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

The Operative wrote:
Doktor Avalanche wrote:Oh my.

Too late, the state bar already took care of that for him.
I've often wondered, when someone is granted a new trial on this basis (and I'm thinking of death penalty cases) how come no one ever gets disbarred. I honestly think someone should be.

There is a case here in Cincinnati recently involving Stan Chesley (who is not a defendant by some incredible lapse of judgment somewhere) where one of the three attorneys charged used as a defense that he was too drunk during the entire period in question to know what was going on. The jury bought it and he got off, the other two hung the jury.

The case was a Phen-Phen class action, the settlement was $200 million I think, the three attorneys on trial took $125 million of it, and took some of the rest to set up a "charity" that they controlled and did a lot more of board meetings in the Caymans than educating the public about diet drugs. Chesley was a witness because he got $12 million for what he admitted in court was a phone call, and testified more or less that he couldn't remember why they paid him $12 large, but he was sure it must have been pretty good advice and he was sure he earned it. I'm a little foggy on the details, but I do recall wanting to go to the courthouse and kick lawyers at random during the trial.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm a little foggy on the details, but I do recall wanting to go to the courthouse and kick lawyers at random during the trial.
I love this sentence!
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Demosthenes wrote:
I'm a little foggy on the details, but I do recall wanting to go to the courthouse and kick lawyers at random during the trial.
I love this sentence!
And when arrested for kicking lawyers just say you were too drunk to know what you were doing.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Joe Dirt
Anonymous Administerial Adviser

Post by Joe Dirt »

grixit wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
I love this sentence!
And when arrested for kicking lawyers just say you were too drunk to know what you were doing.
Be sure that you have a designated driver...
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment.
grixit

Post by grixit »

Some years back, i created a fictitious persona to enliven a forum. I decided to make this person a legal assistant working for one lawyer firm. Among the stories i concocted about the lawyer were:

1. Gave everyone new clock radios for christmas but warned them not to send in the warranty cards.

2. Specialized in filing out forms, but most of the time just let the staff fill them out, then he'd sign them without reading them.

3. A mexican family whose grandmother was dying wanted a visa for a relative to come and see her. He took their money but his filing bounced because of some inadequacy. By the time he got back to it, it was too late. He got a reprimand for that but said it was just part of doing business.

4. Made an arrangement with a sleezy private detective firm to use attorney client privilege as a cover for meeting with crooks.

No one ever called me on these stories. But now i realize that i wasn't being outrageous enough.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I guess you haven't watched "Boston Legal" lately. I don't recall an ineffective assistance of counsel (except the death penalty case from first season), but most of the "legal" activity seems more absurd than what you'd suggested.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
grixit

Post by grixit »

I stopped watching BL after the episode in which Denny Crane demonstrates how he has sex with a talking Nancy Grace doll. You know, pull the string and her lips move?

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

UGA Lawdog wrote:. . . . Nancy Grace was chastised for prosecutorial misconduct (twice by the Georgia Supreme Court, once by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals) for things she did as a prosecutor in the Atlanta (Fulton County) DA's office.

Basically, she's a hateful bitch. I can't even stand to watch her on tv . . . .
Yes, but the Nancy Grace doll is very nice.

(Kidding! I'm just kidding, of course! Boy, this is how rumors get started.....)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Famspear wrote:Yes, but the Nancy Grace doll is very nice.

(Kidding! I'm just kidding, of course! Boy, this is how rumors get started.....)
Who needs rumors when you have talented interns with mad photoshop skillz.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

webhick wrote:
Famspear wrote:Yes, but the Nancy Grace doll is very nice.

Who needs rumors when you have talented interns with mad photoshop skillz.
Uh-oh......
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet