TP election results

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

TP election results

Post by Demosthenes »

Robert Raymond was running as an independant in a Wisconsin race for the US House. No Democrat ran in the race against incumbent Sensenbrenner.

U.S. House - District 5
J. Sensenbrenner (GOP) 273,918 80%
R. Raymond (Ind) 68,820 20%
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: TP election results

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:Robert Raymond was running as an independant in a Wisconsin race for the US House. No Democrat ran in the race against incumbent Sensenbrenner.

U.S. House - District 5
I'm sure there's a really good paranoid explanation for his shocking defeat.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Demosthenes wrote:Robert Raymond was running as an independant in a Wisconsin race for the US House. No Democrat ran in the race against incumbent Sensenbrenner.

U.S. House - District 5
Not bad, if a write-in candidate.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I'm not familiar with this name. That's the guy in this case, I presume....

United States of America, Plaintiff-Appellee v. Robert R. Raymond, individually and doing business as Morningstar Consultants, and Robert G. Bernhoft, individually and doing business as Morningstar Consultants, Defendants-Appellants, no. 99-4024, 228 F.3d 80, 2000-2 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) ¶50,750, U.S. App. LEXIS 23790 (7th Cir. Sep. 26, 2000)

The CCH headnote for this case states:
Two pro se individuals were permanently enjoined from engaging in activities relating to the sale of a program designed to encourage tax evasion that qualified as a tax shelter under Code Sec. 6700(a)(1)(B). The taxpayers, a law school graduate and an experienced businessman, had reason to know that their statements that the payment of taxes was voluntary did not comport with the law. Consequently, the trial court properly found a violation of Code Sec. 6700(a)(2)(A) because the taxpayers participated in the sale of an abusive tax shelter and made false statements concerning the benefits of the program.
(headnote copyright held by CCH).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I wonder how many of the 20K voters knew nothing about him and just didn't like incumbents. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:I wonder how many of the 20K voters knew nothing about him and just didn't like incumbents. :wink:
Probably about 68,810 voted for anyone who was not republican.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm sure there's a really good paranoid explanation for his shocking defeat.
It's obvious -- the "Ind" after his name. They all thought he was from Indiana.
buck09
Quatloosian Baron of the Unknown Statute

Post by buck09 »

U.S. House - District 5

Oh #%&! It was THAT Robert Raymond? I actually voted for him. I knew there was something about the name that was familiar, but didn't put 2-and-2 together.

Here's the scoop - Sensenbrenner is a completely safe Republican district. Sort of getting caught in the act with a male prostitute in an abortion clinic while burning American flags, he's going to get re-elected. Given the way we draw congressional districts, that's not uncommon. The problem is that this safety means that he can shoot off his mouth with impunity. He's a bigoted, xenophobic, vitriolic, hateful douschebag. (...and I do vote for Republicans from time to time...)

So what did I do when faced with the prospect of filling in a little oval next to his name? Protest vote. Had I realized where my protest vote was going... well... I don't know who I would have picked.

So if I fell for it (and I shouldn't have, as a 4 year vet of these forums), odds are that 19.999% of votes cast for Raymond would have been for anyone other than Sensenbrenner.
I’ll help them get more power at the Fed. - Ron Paul