New Administration - new attitude towards tax scofflaws?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.

Do you think the new administration will go easier or harder on tax scofflaws?

They need the money so they will crack down on tax deniers and scofflaws
43%
The new administration will go easier on them - it's a liberal thing
5%
The new boss is the same as the old boss - nothing will change
52%
New administration will push through punitive laws to hammer tax deniers
No votes
The IRS will be defanged by the new administration
No votes

Total votes: 21

RyanMcC

Re: New Administration - new attitude towards tax scofflaws?

Post by RyanMcC »

I don't have any guesses how Obama would react tax protesters, but as far as tax protesters reacting to Obama:

I would guess there may be a drop in the number of lower-income tax protesters as they realize they might just be better off financially filing a traditional tax return.

The number of middle & high income tax protesters will remain the same or increase slightly.
SheWolffe

Post by SheWolffe »

CaptainKickback wrote:President-elect Obama is coming into office under the campaign slogan of "Change." What effect will this aura of change mean to tax deniers, tax scofflaws, "Tax protestors," paytriots, Schulzites, etc.

Do you think the new administration will go easy on them? or do you think a cash-strapped government is going to really lower the boom on them? Or will the song remain the same?

I am curious what a change in administration means to some of the preipheral players to the Brown saga and what it may (or may not) mean for the Browns and the potential filing of additional charges against them rising from there little adventure in explosivedom.

Opinions anyone?
How will our new administration act toward tax deniers, tax scofflaws, "Tax protestors," paytriots, Schulzites, etc?

They will be <...low booming voice echo...>"Absorbed" and become "part of the body". Or die. - Just like in the world of Landru.

"Peace and Harmony to you my friend and you will know way of Landru" - or something to that effect.

Problem solved.

:roll:
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I predict that TPs will get hammered under the new administration. It will start slowly with an increased budget for the IRS.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Given the fact that he's targeting the allegedly "wealthy" he'll never be able to spend the IRS into overcoming the flight to creative tax avoidance which also includes illegal activities.

It's like trying to buy buckets to bail out a boat instead of fixing the hull.

And statistically, many people who are now paying taxes won't be so there will be fewer of the moderate-income dodgers.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

CaptainKickback wrote:....You know, given his target, it means that he and his family, Cabinet members, the justices at the SCOTUS, and probably most, if not all, members of Congress will be affected, as well as his VP. For some reason that makes me feel a tad better...... :)
You're guilty of misunderstanding how the game is played. Post-service is a gold mine where connections developed during elected service come into play. Most can wait a few years to restart amassing their fortunes.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

The IRS and the state tax authorities will have what they need to adress the non-compliance. The philosophical change in government will have broad consequences. When Obama said that no one over $150K will pay more in taxes, he wasn't referring to tax fraud and evasion, or the cash economy. Those people are now afraid. They realize both tax authorities and the DOJ have wide latitude in prosecuting cases that if someone makes more than $600 as a self-employed individual they must file or around $8000 as an employee. So either change the law or enforce it. Requisite community service in lieu of jail time for long term non-filers. It's about civilization and having a system to wake up to instead of living in a cultural dark age. Many have tried for years to reason with non-filers. It hasn't worked. Bad government was their rationale. If Obama does the right thing, all people will want to pay what they owe.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

vtyankee wrote:If Obama does the right thing, all people will want to pay what they owe.
The majority of TPs don't want to pay anything, regardless of what anyone says or does. And to top it off, I'm sure many of them are pissed that a "14th Amendment Citizen" is going to be giving orders.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

vtyankee wrote:Bad government was their rationale.
I disagree. Bad government wasn't their rationale. Being GREEDY and SELFISH was their rationale. Bad government was an excuse to try and appear to not be the GREEDY, SELFISH INGRATES they truly are.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

One way or another, I think it is fairly safe to say that if the Bushies were for it, the new admin will be agin’ it, and probably in pretty quick order. It looks like they are already looking to see which of Bush’s Executive orders they need to reverse right off the bat. Will be interesting to see how far it goes and how long it lasts before the momentum runs out and governmental inertia takes over.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Thank you, gentlemen. As the saying goes, "Bulls make money, and bears make money, but hogs invariably get slaughtered."
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)