Hendrickson indicted

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Hendrickson indicted

Post by Demosthenes »

Gotta' go to pilates. Be back in a couple of hours with more.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 11/METRO02

Thursday, November 13, 2008
Oakland briefs
Commerce Twp.: Tax case arraigned

A Commerce Township man was arraigned Wednesday in federal court in Detroit on an indictment charging him with submitting several false documents with the IRS, acting U.S. Attorney Terrence Berg announced. Peter Hendrickson, 53, is charged in a 10-count indictment that alleges from 2000-06 he filed forms 1040 and IRS forms 4852 stating that he had received no wages in those years. The indictment indicates that he had in fact received wages in those years in varying amounts. Hendrickson was convicted in 1992 on federal criminal charges for failing to file a federal income tax return and for a conspiracy involving a firebomb placed in a bin at a U.S.Post Office in Royal Oak on April 16, 1990, the last day on which tax returns could be postmarked that year.
Demo.
Red Cedar PM
Burnished Vanquisher of the Kooloohs

Re: Hendrickson indicted

Post by Red Cedar PM »

I can't find the indictment - if anyone knows where it can be found, please post it.

No words from the LostHeads yet, as far as I can see...
"Pride cometh before thy fall."

--Dantonio 11:03:07
Grixit wrote:Hey Diller: forget terms like "wages", "income", "derived from", "received", etc. If you did something, and got paid for it, you owe tax.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

U.S. Department of Justice
Terrence Berg
United States Attorney
Eastern District of Michigan

For Immediate Release
Nov 12, 2008

EVENT: Indictment Defendant: Peter Hendrickson

Man Indicted for Submitting False Documents With the Internal Revenue Service
Peter Hendrickson, 53, was arraigned today in federal court in Detroit on an indictment charging him with submitting several false documents with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Acting United States Attorney Terrence Berg announced today.

The 10-count indictment charges that for the calendar years 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 Hendrickson filed IRS Forms 1040 (income tax returns) and/or IRS Forms 4852 (Substitute for Form W-2) stating under penalties of perjury that he had received no wages in those years. The indictment indicates that he had in fact received wages in those years in varying amounts.

In May 2007, a federal court in Detroit permanently enjoined Peter Hendrickson from filing tax returns and forms on which he falsely reported his income as zero. The injunction order, signed by U.S. District Judge Nancy G. Edmunds, also required Hendrickson and his wife to repay more than $20,000 in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes that
they had obtained by filing false tax returns with the IRS.

According to information in the May 2007 court order, Hendrickson based his improper conduct on a book he wrote called “Cracking the Code.” The book states that federal tax withholding and income taxes on wages are applicable only for a limited class of people, primarily government employees. The court found that position to be “false and frivolous,” and cited an earlier court decision holding the position to be “preposterous.”

Peter Hendrickson was convicted in 1992 on federal criminal charges for failing to file a federal income tax return and for a conspiracy involving a firebomb placed in a bin at a U.S. Post Office in Royal Oak, Mich. on April 16, 1990, the last day on which tax returns could be postmarked that year.

Acting United States Attorney Berg said, “The right to protest cannot cross the line into unlawful conduct. Although our system depends on the voluntary compliance of citizens, no one is exempt from paying taxes or following federal tax laws.”

"This is yet another example of the Justice Department's commitment, under the National Tax Defier Initiative, to use off all of its tools - both civil and criminal - to stop tax defier conduct throughout the nation," said Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division. "Hendrickson, if convicted, faces years in prison, steep fines, and paying back all taxes with penalties and interest."

"The Internal Revenue Code has no hidden secrets and applies to all taxpayers," said Eileen Mayer, Chief, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division. "Today's indictment signals the IRS' determination to ensure that all taxpayers abide by the tax laws and pay their fair share of taxes."

An indictment is only a charge and is not evidence of guilt. A defendant is entitled to a fair trial in which it will be the government's burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The case was investigated by special agents of the IRS. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Leibson and Department of Justice Tax Division attorney Mark Daly.

More information about the Justice Department's efforts to stop tax fraud promoters and preparers through civil and criminal actions is available on the Tax Division’s website.
Demo.
Red Cedar PM
Burnished Vanquisher of the Kooloohs

Post by Red Cedar PM »

Predictions anyone? Will he sell his customer list in return for a plea deal? Or would DOJ not need/want this information due to the fact that Pete is an idiot and already posted his marks' refund checks on his website?

I have to think the prior convictions and the fact that he is an arrogant, unapologetic bastard are not going to help shorten his sentence when he is found guilty. I have to think he will find any way possible to save himself some jail time, including selling out anyone he can.
"Pride cometh before thy fall."

--Dantonio 11:03:07
Grixit wrote:Hey Diller: forget terms like "wages", "income", "derived from", "received", etc. If you did something, and got paid for it, you owe tax.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Jsut wondering if Famspear is going to be able to resist the temptation of showing up at Hendrickson's trial. After all, it ain't often that Famspear would get to see a whole lot of narcissism located at one point in the universe - if he is willing to risk the critical mass of Hendrickson's arrogance in the courtroom.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Red Cedar PM wrote:Predictions anyone? Will he sell his customer list in return for a plea deal? Or would DOJ not need/want this information due to the fact that Pete is an idiot and already posted his marks' refund checks on his website?

I have to think the prior convictions and the fact that he is an arrogant, unapologetic bastard are not going to help shorten his sentence when he is found guilty. I have to think he will find any way possible to save himself some jail time, including selling out anyone he can.
My memory fails me, but didn't he rat out his co-defendants the last time he was in court? If so, I can't help but think that he won't fail to give up the goods if the feds need and want them.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Stand by for exploding lost-heads.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:Jsut wondering if Famspear is going to be able to resist the temptation of showing up at Hendrickson's trial. After all, it ain't often that Famspear would get to see a whole lot of narcissism located at one point in the universe - if he is willing to risk the critical mass of Hendrickson's arrogance in the courtroom.
Hey, I would go if I could. I think this trial would be more interesting than, say, Ed Brown's trial, in part because Hendrickson actually has some smarts.

And yes, keep your head down and watch for the explosions over at lost horizons!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

By the way, Blowhard Hendrickson was supposed to be on one of those "paltalk" call-in things on the internet last night. I tried to check it out last night, but I got involved in real life matters and didn't get to follow it. I wonder if the Blowhard mentioned his latest criminal charges in the paltalk session. I know that loserheads who contribute to lost horizons were in the paltalk session, and as of a few minutes ago I saw no reference to the indictment at losthorizons. So I'm wondering if Pete even mentioned his predicament last night.....
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:My memory fails me, but didn't he rat out his co-defendants the last time he was in court? If so, I can't help but think that he won't fail to give up the goods if the feds need and want them.
In 1992, after Hendrickson pleaded guilty to the mail bomb and his failure to file tax returns, he was apparently able to get a favorable sentencing recommendation for himself (and get charges dropped against his then girlfriend, later wife) by secretly tape-recording one of his co-conspirators and testifying against him. The courts ruled that the tape-recording was Hendrickson's own idea, and not part of any agreement with the United States government, so the secret, warrantless taping did not violate the 4th Amendment. United States v. Scarborough, 43 F.3d 1021 (6th Cir. 1994).

But I doubt that Hendrickson has anything the government wants. I would expect that he might get a reduced sentencing recommendation by accepting responsibility and saving the government the expense of a trial, but I expect him to go down swinging.

Although I'm curious that his wife, Doreen, was not indicted. They filed jointly, so she would have signed the same false tax returns. And she was a defendant in the erroneous refund suit. Why is she missing from the criminal case?

You don't suppose that Hendrickson has already begun working on a deal to plead guilty in order to save his wife from prison time?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

I, for one, would like to see Darth try and go the distance as this will be his shot to prove the righteousness of his cause.

Go Pete - take no deals!
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:Although I'm curious that his wife, Doreen, was not indicted. They filed jointly, so she would have signed the same false tax returns. And she was a defendant in the erroneous refund suit. Why is she missing from the criminal case?

You don't suppose that Hendrickson has already begun working on a deal to plead guilty in order to save his wife from prison time?
Unless the feds made contact with the wife first and she agreed to testify against Hendrickson in exchange for immunity?

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint »

CaptainKickback wrote:It is hard to scam the rubes if you tell them you are being indicted for the very thing you are palming off on them for money.
I don't know about that. There are countless stories of TPs who didn't stop making ridiculous TP arguments when they were indicted; why should they stop believing in Pete because he was?

If anything, it could be a short-term boon for Hendrickson. He could do the Larken Rose-style "The IRS has dared to indict me! Witness the sheer power of CTC as I defeat them in court!" thing.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

The Observer wrote:
LPC wrote:Although I'm curious that his wife, Doreen, was not indicted. They filed jointly, so she would have signed the same false tax returns. And she was a defendant in the erroneous refund suit. Why is she missing from the criminal case?

Unless the feds made contact with the wife first and she agreed to testify against Hendrickson in exchange for immunity?
You truly have a wicked mind, sir. It's not that far out of the realm of possibility that Doreen would throw Darth under the bus in exchange for immunity.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Demosthenes wrote:Gotta' go to pilates. Be back in a couple of hours with more.
Cat Pilates? :shock:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Cat Reformer* Pilates, please.

*A reformer is a strange looking torture table with ropes, bed springs, and a trapeze bar.

Demo.
LPC

Post by LPC »

I've updated Hendrickson's dossier at http://tpgurus.wikidot.com/peter-hendrickson to include information about the indictment (which is not yet on PACER as far as I can see).

And no glimmer yet of any awareness at Lost Horizons, whether of the indictment or anything else.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

And the DOJ press release can be found at http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mie/press/200 ... ickson.pdf if anyone wants to see the official word.
Dan Evans
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

LPC wrote:And no glimmer yet of any awareness at Lost Horizons, whether of the indictment or anything else.
As of mid-morning, I had sent the link to a number of people who post on the forum.

It will also be interesting to see if Hendrickson writes about it in his weekly newsletter.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

And, I hate to do this 'Demosthenes' ...

Is a 'Cat Reformer' used in any sort of bondage scenario?

Now, I got the obvious yuck-yuck off the table, maybe we can get back to Hendrickson.