Cracking the Code blasted again (Andrew D. Scott case)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Cracking the Code blasted again (Andrew D. Scott case)

Post by Famspear »

I believe this case may have been covered briefly before, but I think some more detail would be interesting. A case from a few months ago......

Andrew D. Scott, Petitioner
v.
Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Respondent

Docket No. 26392-06
United States Tax Court

Bench Opinion by Judge Diane L. Kroupa
June 4, 2008
(oral findings of fact and opinion)
(not precedential)
This is a deficiency case in which Petitioner [Andrew D. Scott] asserts he is not an “employee” and did not receive “wages,” as defined in the [Internal Revenue] Code, although he acknowledges that he received earnings in exchange for his services in 2004.

[ . . . ]

Petitioner resided in Vermont at the time he filed the petition.

Petitioner was a mortgage broker for the Manhattan Mortgage Company during 2004 and earned $61,072, from which Petitioner’s employer withheld, as required by law, $8,828.55 of federal income tax. Also required by law, Petitioner’s employer issued Petitioner a Form W-2 entitled “Wage and Tax Statement” reflecting that Petitioner received $61,072 of wages, tips, and other compensation during 2004.

Petitioner filed a return for 2004 and reported “zero” on the line specified for “wages, salaries, tips, etc.” In addition, Petitioner attached a Form 4852 [ . . . ] to report that Petitioner’s employer paid him zero in wages while $8,828.55 was withheld for federal income tax.
The Court goes on to state that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued a statutory notice of deficiency for $10,031. The IRS also asserted a $2,941 penalty under section 6662.

The Petitioner, however, asserted that he was actually owed a refund of $13,500, consisting of income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax.

The Court continued:
Petitioner informed Respondent [IRS] that he is a follower of a book entitled Cracking the Code: The Fascinating Truth about Taxation in America by Peter Eric Hendrickson [ . . . . ] Petitioner did not consult with any tax attorney in filing the return for 2004 or in checking Mr. Hendrickson’s position in the book.

Respondent warned Petitioner, in a letter, dated October 10, 2007, that Mr. Hendrickson’s arguments have been repeatedly rejected by the courts and gave Petitioner cites to five different federal cases in which the courts rejected Mr. Hendrickson’s arguments. Respondent also warned Petitioner, in the letter, that he was at risk that this Court might impose a penalty, under Section 6673, up to $25,000 if he continued to maintain such frivolous arguments.
The Court goes on to note that the Petitioner claims he has been “enlightened” by Hendrickson’s book, and that the Petitioner filed zero returns for 2004 through 2007.

The Court continues:
Petitioner again asserts, in his response, that he was not an “employee” of the Manhattan Mortgage Company, as defined in the Code, nor did he earns [sic] “wages,” as defined in the Code.
The Court found Andrew Scott’s arguments that he was not an “employee,” and that he did not earn “wages,” to be “frivolous and false.”

The Court found Andrew Scott liable for the $10,031 deficiency in tax.

The Court also sustained the IRS determination that Andrew Scott was liable for the section 6662(a) accuracy-related penalty ($2,941).

The maximum possible penalty under section 6673 is $25,000. The Court imposed a $20,000 penalty under this section.
Last edited by Famspear on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Re: Cracking the Code blasted again (Andrew D. Scott case)

Post by . »

So, the book he was "enlightened" by has lightened (or at least liened) his wallet to the tune of $22,941 in addition to the purchase price of CtC.

Nonetheless, it's obviously a great CtC victory because the court's sanction could have been $25K instead of a mere $20K. That $5K will come in real handy to pay the $5K IRS frivolous filing penalty if he tries it again on his '08 return.

I wonder what the record is for the total amount of combined IRS and court penalties assessed against any single buyer of this tripe that calls itself a "book." $22,941 plus perhaps as many as 4 of the old $500 IRS frivolous filing penalties might be in the running. Boy, those were the days, eh? You could file utter BS and only get slapped for $500 per year per filer.

Does the Guinness Book of World Records have a frivolous tax-stupidity category? Uncle Irwin would probably win the "years in federal prison" sub-category. Andy Scott might have a shot at "penalties due to a single book."
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Not sure it's a record, but "Jerry" in Kansas City has a Notice of Federal Tax Lien on property somewhere above $39,000, $25,000 of which is an accumulation of frivolous penalties.

Also, makes a good example for Patrick Mooney and Scott MacNeilage to consider.

Probably wouldn't do Weston White any good to consider it. Unfortunately.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Almost a photo finish. A potential $24,941 vs. an even $25K, but, "Jerry" in KC is the winner. Sorry, Andy. Looks like it's gonna take another frivolous return for $5K to regain the lead.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

ASITStands wrote:Also, makes a good example for Patrick Mooney and Scott MacNeilage to consider.

Probably wouldn't do Weston White any good to consider it. Unfortunately.
Until we see evidence that the IRS actually has any success at collecting these penalties, my gut instinct is that the Crackheads aren't going to believe that anything bad has happened to them.

Much like the joke about the guy falling from the roof of a skyscraper and telling himself at the 24th floor: "So far, so good."
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:I believe this case may have been covered briefly before, but I think some more detail would be interesting. A case from a few months ago......

Andrew D. Scott, Petitioner
v.
Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Respondent[/b]
Petitioner informed Respondent [IRS] that he is a follower of a book entitled Cracking the Code: The Fascinating Truth about Taxation in America by Peter Eric Hendrickson [ . . . . ] Petitioner did not consult with any tax attorney in filing the return for 2004 or in checking Mr. Hendrickson’s position in the book.

Respondent warned Petitioner, in a letter, dated October 10, 2007, that Mr. Hendrickson’s arguments have been repeatedly rejected by the courts and gave Petitioner cites to five different federal cases in which the courts rejected Mr. Hendrickson’s arguments. Respondent also warned Petitioner, in the letter, that he was a risk that this Court might impose a penalty, under Section 6673, up to $25,000 if he continued to maintain such frivolous arguments.
Ah, the "I read it in a book" defense. :roll:

I get the sense from many of these cases that the petitioner believes he or she has nothing to lose. Some people in a financial disaster eventually arrive at a point where they decide "F*&% 'em, they can't get blood out of a turnip." I've seen them lose their homes, move in with family or friends, sell their cars and work cash-only jobs just to stick it to [ them ] - (insert your choice of creditor, including spouses they owe child support to). Some even plan it well in advance.

Something tells me a lot of Hendrickson's acolytes are in that category.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

In addition to the federally reported cases there are dozens of state cases that have been litigated favorable. I personally handled a few of them. So, they are dropping like flies all over the place. This theory is done. Stick a fork in 'em.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

I think we're hearing the crickets .....

Even Rachel has been silenced [for the time being].
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Legal scholar Weston White over at losthorizons just can't help himself. He has created a new thread over there after reading this thread. He writes:
This was cited in a post over at Quackloss, I found it to be somewhat interesting. It is regarding a CtC claim used as his defense and the person was found guilty.
http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1129

Well, no Mr. Legal Scholar, "guilty" is a criminal law concept. This was not criminal case (thank goodness, for Mr. Andrew Scott's sake).

Mr. Scott was found liable for the tax deficiency, and for some whopping civil penalties. And Mr. Scott was the one who sued the IRS (the Commissioner), not the other way around. This is U.S. Tax Court. There are no criminal cases, and no "guilty" verdicts, in Tax Court. Go back and read more carefully.

Yes, Mr. Scott lost his case, though, and now he owes over $20,000 in penalties for trying to use Cracking the Code.
I am not sure what the persons [sic] actual knowledge is, meaning did he just read CtC and then act upon what he read without much if any literal understanding of what he read?
Ah, every time this happens Peter and his followers try to figure out a way to argue that the taxpayer (in this case, Mr. Andrew Scott) just didn't argue the Cracking the Code theory in just the right way. Just didn't understand it well enough. Just didn't use just the right words in just the right way.

Well, let's see now, Mr. Scott argued, for example, that he did not have "wages" -- and he used Peter Hendrickson's book as his support for that argument. The Court ruled his argument to be frivolous. A $20,000 penalty was imposed for that.
Also I am wondering is this that same case PH cited a while back, were the person just read the book after the fact and changed his plea at the end to a CtC defense, much in the same fashion as Snipes did (argue 861, does not work, so change plea to “I was actually ignorant in the laws and acted only upon the advice of my hired attorneys”), or is this entirely another case?
Again, this is not a criminal case. There is no "plea" to be changed. This is entirely another case. Go back and read this thread again.
I noticed this case was quoted in reference to the Petitioner filing "zero returns", well CtC does not endorse those types of returns. "Zero Returns" are an Irwin Schiff tactic.
It doesn't matter what you call them, Westie-poo. Pursuant to Hendrickson's instructions, Hendrickson's followers file "zero returns" -- in the sense that they report their gross wage income from ordinary "private sector" work as being zero, when under the law it's not really zero. That's what Mr. Andrew Scott did, and he lost. Big time.
Another thing interesting about this case is that he was a Mortgage Broker working for the Manhattan Mortgage Company the time, so there is a distinct possibility he might have actually been earning 'income'.
Ahh, you've learned from PeterEricBlowhardMeister! Every time someone loses a case using CtC, you people search frantically for some sort of doofus argument that the taxpayer really was somehow connected to (and was required to be connected to) some activity involving a "federal privilege," etc., in order for his income to be income and his wages to be wages and his compensation to be taxed.

By the way, we're still waiting for an answer from you Legal Scholars on Pete's theory as to why he thinks, for wages to really be wages, etc., etc., there has to be a tie to some sort of activity involving a federal privilege, etc., etc. -- considering all the court decisions to the effect that the receipt of money through illegal activity such as extortion, embezzlement, etc., is taxable as income to the recipient. We've already given you the citations to several cases. Everybody over there scared to look 'em up? Scared about what you'll find? Well, you should be scared.
I did some searching on the company and only found that it was started by a woman [Melissa Cohn] as a small business and has since grown to nearly one-dozen offices in several states, with its main office being in New York, so it is unlikely that this business is a subsidiary of another, (but that is not proven, I am wondering if there is any relation to the 'Chase Manhattan Mortgage Company'?).
Ahhh, under your theory that maybe it's really a national bank or FDIC insured, and therefore Mr. Scott's income was tied to an activity involving a federal privilege, eh? (giggle.....)
I checked the FDIC database just to see what came up found that the HSBC Credit Cards has an office in the same building that the Mortgage Company, which only means they are in the same building. For services they provide: Home & Real Estate Loans & Mortgages.

Their website: http://www.manhattanmortgage.com/

"The Manhattan Mortgage Company
Founded in 1985, The Manhattan Mortgage Company is committed to helping its clients make wise and informed financing choices throughout their lives, whether purchasing their first home, selling their existing home and buying another. With over $5 billion in annual loan volume, The Manhattan Mortgage Company provides unparalleled service with their clients’ best interests at heart.

They do have at least one affiliate:

Sotheby’s International Realty and The Manhattan Mortgage Company ......
Weston, the harder you folks over there try to pretend, the more pathetic you look.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

Of course the geniuses as lostheads doing their research do not notice that the judge did not rule that the earnings received were federally connected, which he would have to do if there were even a scintilla of law that this were required in order for the wages to be taxable.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Weston White wrote:
Also I am wondering is this that same case PH cited a while back, were the person just read the book after the fact and changed his plea at the end to a CtC defense, much in the same fashion as Snipes did (argue 861, does not work, so change plea to “I was actually ignorant in the laws and acted only upon the advice of my hired attorneys”), or is this entirely another case?
Nope, that would be Roger Menner, who was recently convicted in criminal court.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

It has been approximately two days since Weston White reported the above-referenced loss of Andrew Scott in the losthorizons.com thread entitled Anyone familiar w/ Andrew D. Scott case?. The Crackheads -- being the astute Legal Scholars that they are -- have, so far, overwhelmed Weston with .....

zero response.

EDIT: Even considering that the losthorizons forum was down most of Friday, the silence is deafening.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Weellll, it has now been approximately three days since Weston White reported the case of Scott v. Commissioner in the losthorizons.com thread entitled Anyone familiar w/ Andrew D. Scott case?. A total of about 112 "looks" in that thread, and still zero responses (as of 7:24 pm Central Time on Sunday, Nov. 23, 2008).