The Big Bet II

Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: The Big Bet II

Post by Cathulhu »

I've been on beta blockers to stabilize my heart for probably longer than the hamster's been alive, and am not entirely kidding about the potential heart attack--but I seriously think you're gonna get stiffed, Brandy. He'll probably send you a chocolate coin, that's all mommy could give him money for.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

In the mail today I received ... One Ounce Gold Coin!

It appears to be the same $50 gold buffalo coin in plastic wrap in the photo posted by Harvester in the earlier thread.

I may disagree with nearly everything Harvester posts, but he is a man of his word. Which ranks him higher in my book than many I do agree with.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Dang, a TP with honor-- must be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Seriously, good for Harvester, i'm taking him off the ignore list.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Way to go, Harvey!
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Kudos Harv for standing tall.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

stunned
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

Good on you, Harvester. You played by the rules, and that's an honorable thing. If we met, I'd shake your hand.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

One has to grudgingly admire the willingness to pay for being obtuse.

One also has to wonder if the pecuniary loss will bring the loser to his senses.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Despite our many disagreements, Harvester, you have proven to be a man of your word, even though it cost you a substantial amount. You stood tall on this one, Harv. I salute you!
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

He paid up, but he never admitted -- here in writing -- that he was wrong and that he lost.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Good job Harvester.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Nikki wrote:He paid up, but he never admitted -- here in writing -- that he was wrong and that he lost.
Was that part of the bet?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

having coronary incident, calling ambulance next...
darling
First Mate
First Mate

Post by darling »

I too am mightily impressed that Harvester followed through.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

webhick wrote:
Nikki wrote:He paid up, but he never admitted -- here in writing -- that he was wrong and that he lost.
Was that part of the bet?
Well, I'll cut Harvey a lot of slack on this one. He put his gold where his mouth is; and in my book that's a pretty good admission that he was wrong.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Yeah, but if I were Brandybuck I'd get the coin tested first. Aqua Regia, anyone?
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Cathulhu wrote:Yeah, but if I were Brandybuck I'd get the coin tested first. Aqua Regia, anyone?
Actually, the weight of the coin, if within the tolerances, should make that unnecessary. If the coin were gold-plated tungsten or gold-plated lead, and the coin was of the correct diameter and thickness, the coin would either be light or heavy; and if the coin were, say, .750 gold or pure-gold clad, the weight would still be off. If the coin was of the correct weight, in the compositions above, it would be oversize or undersize.

Besides, I can't think of anyone on this site -- including Mr. Merrill -- who would knowingly pass a counterfeit coin off on someone. I could be wrong; but I think that Harvey is playing straight on this one.
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

Cathulhu wrote:Yeah, but if I were Brandybuck I'd get the coin tested first. Aqua Regia, anyone?
It's still in US Mint "shrink wrap", so I seriously doubt it's a replica. Besides, the replicas are gold plated, so aqua regia would not help. I would need an accurate scale.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Brandybuck wrote:
It's still in US Mint "shrink wrap", so I seriously doubt it's a replica. Besides, the replicas are gold plated, so aqua regia would not help. I would need an accurate scale.
I think that even a postal scale would be close enough; or else a jeweler could help you out. Based on what I've seen, though, I think that Harvey played straight on this one.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Scrooge enters the love-fest.

On one occasion, the guy apparently kept his word. BFD. I don't know about anyone else here, but keeping one's word is minimum standard for anyone with whom I will voluntarily associate. Keeping one's word is what's expected of an honorable being, not what singles one out for special praise. And he's only done it once.

Should Harvey wish to rejoin the company of honorable people, he will go to all of the sites where he has posted his usual mix of TP drivel and outright lies and tell the truth. Failing that, he is still simply a dishonest schmuck who - once - acted honorably.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume