Liberty Dollar: Rats leaving the ship? Or reality dawning?

cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Liberty Dollar: Rats leaving the ship? Or reality dawning?

Post by cynicalflyer »

From their discussion group. This from "petulant bob"

http://old.nabble.com/The-problem-with- ... 14004.html
Let's say I owe a friend $50.

Me: Check this out, it's a privately minted currency.

Him: Oh, cool. That's really neat. What's it worth?

Me: It's got an MSRP of $50. It's one ounce of pure silver.

Him: Oh. How much is an ounce of silver worth?

Me: Uhh... Spot is just under $18.

Him: Well, I'll take that coin plus $30 then and we'll call it even.

How do you respond to that? It does seem like the $20 base was a whole lot easier to sell to people when silver was at $14, but now $50 for $18.00 worth of silver raises too many eyebrows.
This is the response he got from dead-ender rcu
You're still spending LD? I suggest you demand at least 4x melt for them in trade, 5x melt in cash. They're out of production, so a collectibility premium applies.
Others, however, are cluing in, such as

http://old.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jt ... 6&framed=y
Whenever I drop in here, it feels like the Twilight Zone.

If you owe your friend $50 and he doesn't particularly want silver, why do you want to foist it onto him? Did he lend you $50 worth of wheat? Maybe he lent you $40 of denim fabric and a handful of copper rivets.

No? If he handed you a $50 note, he likely expects to get the same thing back. Obviously, you still place a value on FR Notes, or you wouldn't have borrowed one from a friend. Apparently, you see nothing wrong with then trying to replace it with something of lower value. He might want to reconsider your friendship.

Save your bartering for times when YOU want or need something and find another person who is willing to trade fairly.

Trading fairly doesn't mean simply pointing to a MSRP and claiming that this is its true worth. That is mercantilism.
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
bmielke

Re: Liberty Dollar: Rats leaving the ship? Or reality dawning?

Post by bmielke »

I loan a guy $50 and he tries to give me private currency back he had better run away, because I am going to be pissed he tried to pass me a counterfeit coin.