Stupid Stuff Lorne said...

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Stupid Stuff Lorne said...

Post by Gregg »

It has been discussed that we shouldn't feed trolls.

The problem with that is if you just let them spout off useless nonsense, innocents may be led to believe that they aren't batshit crazy and take them seriously. So, another discussion was held and the general consensus was we didn't want to ban them, we didn't want to encourage them and we don't want anyone to think they may actually be right, so maybe the best idea is to take all the stupid things they say, put them in one thread and make sure to warn everyone it's not to be taken seriously, please use a keyboard protector, offer not valid except in the District of Columbia, Guam, The Marshall Islands and other federal enclaves etc....

So her it is, the dumbest of the dumb, the All Star Team of Stupid, the people who think The Queen of England is a shape shifting lizard who controls the international dope trade and Pete Hendrickson is society's greatest authority on the income tax...

The idea, as I understood it, was we'd take the stupid, cut it out like a tumor from otherwise rational discussion, and dump it here like the ugly little lump of diseased flesh it is in all it's glory. Please wear safety glasses when viewing.

Enjoy!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: Stupid Stuff he said...

Post by Cathulhu »

Pass the rubber gloves and sterile masks. Who's got the whips and chains?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

And here all this time I was thinkin it was whipped cream and Great Danes.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Well, Harvey the sometime-Crackhead and full-time Hendrickson sycophant has made almost 350 posts, all but one or two being trollish.

Anyone who wants to wade through his tiresome dreck can find it here: http://quatloos.com/Q-Forum/search.php? ... 2&sr=posts

I think that Wes volunteered to distill it to its hideous essence, only to find there was nothing left when he was done. Or that the effort simply wasn't worth it. Or, most likely, the time to do so was preempted by something more important, which would by definition include almost any possible imaginable task to include the elimination of the contents of ones large intestine, the result of which would surely be vastly superior to the scribblings of Harvey.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

. wrote:I think that Wes volunteered to distill it to its hideous essence, only to find there was nothing left when he was done. Or that the effort simply wasn't worth it. Or, most likely, the time to do so was preempted by something more important, which would by definition include almost any possible imaginable task to include the elimination of the contents of ones large intestine, the result of which would surely be vastly superior to the scribblings of Harvey.
All of the above, especially the "something more important" part. Still, it'll be up today or tomorrow.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Oh, I'm not sure we need to make it retroactive, I look on it as much like a can of Raid!. Someone sees stupid, lets out a blood curdling scream, and the friendly mod moves the post here, where it's safely contained..... I nominated most of a thread of Lorne's for the initial specimen.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Red Cedar PM
Burnished Vanquisher of the Kooloohs

Post by Red Cedar PM »

Gregg wrote: offer not valid except in the District of Columbia, Guam, The Marshall Islands and other federal enclaves etc....
The Marshall Islands are a sovereign nation (for real, not "sovrun"), and independent of the US since the 80s. :wink:
"Pride cometh before thy fall."

--Dantonio 11:03:07
Grixit wrote:Hey Diller: forget terms like "wages", "income", "derived from", "received", etc. If you did something, and got paid for it, you owe tax.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Maybe this new classification can be entitled "The Troll Bridge", with the warning that it's dangerous to look underneath....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I have moved this topic to a sticky, similar to the purpose of the Harvester sticky thread.

Greg, you may want to edit your thread topic so that it will be apparent that this is about lorne.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

The Observer wrote:I have moved this topic to a sticky, similar to the purpose of the Harvester sticky thread.

Greg, you may want to edit your thread topic so that it will be apparent that this is about lorne.
Hmm, and that would be above my pay grade methinks. At any rate, I have no idea how to do it.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Something tells me you'll completely ignore my lunatic rants. I am so slighted.
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:Something tells me you'll completely ignore my lunatic rants. I am so slighted.
Well, we may igonre you, but we LIKE you at least.
The Marshall Islands are a sovereign nation (for real, not "sovrun"), and independent of the US since the 80s.
Okay, I need to get out more, but they still don't pay income tax, or not to the US anyway.

Finally, I just now discovered that Lee Harvey uses a trick to hide his IP address, therefore not only is it impossible to see if he isn't Lorne, it's in fact just as impossible to know if HE IS, and judging from his last few posts, as Lorne, I'm more convinced than ever it's just a sock puppet. Every time Lame posts, he looks more and more like our own unlamented village idiot, I'm expecting him to end with "Stand Fall! Terriers! any day now.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Gregg wrote:
The Observer wrote:Greg, you may want to edit your thread topic so that it will be apparent that this is about lorne.
Hmm, and that would be above my pay grade methinks. At any rate, I have no idea how to do it.
I took care of it.

For future reference, the title of the thread is simply the title of the first post in the thread. To edit the title of the thread, simply edit the title of the first message in the thread.

(Edit: I learned that through what I call "percussive investigations," which means that I kept hitting it different ways until I found a way to do what I wanted.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Re: Stupid Stuff Lorne said...

Post by Gregg »

While you're here Dan, what are the chances of dis allowing posts by persons using whatever tricks you use to mask your IP address? Hate to be a stick in the mud, but I'm really really against people being able to come on the forum and bring their own one moron cheering section.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Gregg wrote:While you're here Dan, what are the chances of dis allowing posts by persons using whatever tricks you use to mask your IP address?
Not Dan, but FWIW my opinion.

Sure, we could just make a rule: no posting through anonymizers. But I don't think we should. If someone is determined to hide his identity, OK, hide it. That itself says something about the poster. Hell, even Van Pelt didn't post anonymously (and, of course, used his real name - well, sort of). When the poster is an internet Rambo like Harvey, it's even funnier.

And the only way to enforce such a rule on a persistent poster would be banning, something this site is correctly quite reluctant to do. We can edit other types of offending posts, or in extreme cases use moderated status, but the death penalty is the only one available for the insistent faceless. It's not worth it.
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Given that most of us are reluctant to ban anyone from this site, I wonder if, in the alternative, anonymized posts could be flagged as such?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra

Post by wserra »

Except in very special cases, I would view it as a privacy violation to reveal a poster's IP (although I would have no problem saying that A and B post from the same IP). I would also have no problem revealing that a poster uses an anonymizer (I think, but I paused when I wrote this). But I don't think anyone routinely checks IPs, so if you wonder about a specific poster, ask.
- David Hume
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Well, I don't want to lead a witch hunt, but I do wish we could at least expect that one person only post as one person. I have no interest in knowing exactly WHO poster X is, but it's too bad we cannot apparently have a definitive way of showing that Poster X is also Poster Y and Poster Z and Posters A through F as well. Seriously though, if you look at the recent posts by by Dumb and Dumberer you have to admit they are converging. they are both now posting links to idiot sites for instance and the language is disturbingly familiar.

Oh well, a guy can dream....
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

This issue raised its ugly head early on when it was discovered that Stevesy and Mr. Coffee (a poster who seemed to agree 101% with the nonsensical positions that Stevesy was pushing) shared the same IP. As Wes points out, it was hilarious to see Stevesy twisting and squirming in denying that he was Mr. Coffee, only to have each of his supporting arguments ripped to shreds. Not that it stopped Stevesy from denying he was Mr. Coffee, but when has the truth ever stopped any TP?

And therein lies the point: if we start trying to hold every poster to the nth degree in accountability, we will end up having nothing to discuss anymore, since most posters will just stop coming here. Censorship and spying on people will just kill the site.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Hey, every village needs an idiot. But I could wish for the alerts when a poster uses multiple identities. The fact Harv redacts his own links to claim he's being suppressed is pretty revealing.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold