Schulz in Time Magazine

cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Schulz in Time Magazine

Post by cynicalflyer »

"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
Trippy

Re: Schulz in Time Magazine

Post by Trippy »

Schulz wrote:This is the legacy our Founders left us in the First Amendment Right to Petition. They even told us how to do it in the 1774 Journals of the Continental Congress (quoting):
“If money is wanted by Rulers who have in any manner oppressed the People, they may retain it until their grievances are redressed, and thus peaceably procure relief, without trusting to despised petitions or disturbing the public tranquility.”
Journals of the Continental Congress (1774), 1:105-113
Uh, Bob? THe First Amendment is part of the U.S. Constitution, written in 1782 or thereabouts (don't feel like looking it up right now). At the time of the Continental Congress in 1774, things like Bills of Rights weren't even considered, let alone dreamed up. Nice try, though!

(Proof positive that ol' Bobby has A) become senile in his old age and B) gone by the wayside as far as paytriots are concerned.)
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Trippy wrote:
Schulz wrote:This is the legacy our Founders left us in the First Amendment Right to Petition. They even told us how to do it in the 1774 Journals of the Continental Congress (quoting):
“If money is wanted by Rulers who have in any manner oppressed the People, they may retain it until their grievances are redressed, and thus peaceably procure relief, without trusting to despised petitions or disturbing the public tranquility.”
Journals of the Continental Congress (1774), 1:105-113
Uh, Bob? THe First Amendment is part of the U.S. Constitution, written in 1782 or thereabouts (don't feel like looking it up right now). At the time of the Continental Congress in 1774, things like Bills of Rights weren't even considered, let alone dreamed up. Nice try, though!

(Proof positive that ol' Bobby has A) become senile in his old age and B) gone by the wayside as far as paytriots are concerned.)
Not to take his side, but I think his point is that founding father writings illustrate that there was to be a redress of the grievances, not just a right to petition for redress. I think Bob knows full well when the bill of rights was written - he's wasted too much with the bill of rights to not know those types of things. I think the better point is that no matter what was written before or after, the fact of the matter is the 1st amendment only gives the right to petition - not to actual redress - of grievances.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:I am miffed, I have sought my government's help in enabling me to redress Christina Hendricks and da ebil gummint keeps ignoring me.

I DEMAND MY RIGHT TO REDRESS (OVER AND OVER) CHRISTINA HENDRICKS!! :twisted:
Too late -- I got there first. :D :D :D
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:I am miffed, I have sought my government's help in enabling me to redress Christina Hendricks and da ebil gummint keeps ignoring me.

But I hear DOREEN HENDRICKSON is available!

:mrgreen:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:

But I hear DOREEN HENDRICKSON is available!

:mrgreen:
File under "cruel and unusual punishment".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Trippy

Post by Trippy »

Gregg wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:

But I hear DOREEN HENDRICKSON is available! :mrgreen:
OMG .... need brain bleach STAT .... :shock: