Jack Cohen

Still_Smilin

Jack Cohen

Post by Still_Smilin »

Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on Jack Cohen? His "Layman's Guide to Federal Taxation of Employees" seems to be a combination of Pete Hendrickson and Larken Rose arguments. I'm curious about whether he has ever seen any jail time or if anyone knows if the IRS has come after him personally? Obviously, his "arguments" have already been found frivolous by the courts - but I'm curious about any action for him. I looked on your tax protester wiki and didn't see his name - but I've been encountering his name frequently lately so I was just wondering. Thanks for your help!
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Jack Cohen

Post by Famspear »

Are you talking about this Jack Cohen?

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 12&scilh=0

United States v. Cohen, case No. CV 04-0332, United States District Court, Western District of Washington (May 6, 2004). [EDIT 2: Link updated by Famspear on April 8, 2012].

EDIT: He's mentioned here:

http://www.etaxes.com/tax_scams.html
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Here are the USDOJ press releases from 2004:

http://www.justice.gov/tax/txdv04092.htm
http://www.justice.gov/tax/txdv04356.htm

There's links within to the complaint for injunction and the order granting it.
Still_Smilin

Post by Still_Smilin »

Thanks for the links! That's interesting... I wonder why I'm seeing this stuff now, almost 7 years later? Forgive my ignorance of how the court works, but does the injunction just stop him from selling the schemes and nothing more than that? Was there no further court action taken against him? I guess I'm thinking jail time...? I notice that he had to give a list of his customer's names, but it seems like something would have been done with him.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Still_Smilin wrote:Thanks for the links! That's interesting... I wonder why I'm seeing this stuff now, almost 7 years later? Forgive my ignorance of how the court works, but does the injunction just stop him from selling the schemes and nothing more than that? Was there no further court action taken against him? I guess I'm thinking jail time...? I notice that he had to give a list of his customer's names, but it seems like something would have been done with him.
As far as I know, nothing criminal yet.

The injunction stopped the sale of his theories/materials, and it took down his website.

Since he used trusts, it's possible there's still a criminal investigation, but it's also possible he capitulated and made some sort of settlement with the IRS for his civil liabilities. Some do.

As long as he stopped providing services, he's clear of charges of impeding the tax laws.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Jack Cohen passed away on April 2nd.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:Jack Cohen passed away on April 2nd.
He finally found a way to not be liable for income tax. Victory!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I guess that makes any future indictment unlikely.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

He's now perfectly positioned to claim that his estate isn't liable for the estate tax.

Not that any was owed, but who cares? That's at least a subsidiary victory to any self-respecting TP, drawing breath or not.

When you're dead, it's the principle of the thing, even if you don't have any. All else is superfluous, including your own coming and going with absolutely no import or effect whatsoever on the legal or tax system.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

. wrote:He's now perfectly positioned to claim that his estate isn't liable for the estate tax.
But ... but ... estates are specifically included as entities subject to income tax. :naughty:
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Arthur Rubin wrote:But ... but ... estates are specifically included as entities subject to income tax.
HA! You have obviously fallen for the straw estate scam that the gubmint has perpetuated!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff