Hendrickson's Heroes: Janice J. Weybrew

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Hendrickson's Heroes: Janice J. Weybrew

Post by LPC »

A Tax Court order and decision (unpublished) has been affirmed per curiam, and it definitely has the earmarks of a Hendrickson mark.

Janis J. Weybrew v. Commissioner, No. 14868-10L (U.S.T.C. 2/16/2011) (levy to collect frivolous return penalty may proceed; $2,500 in sanctions imposed), aff'd No. 11-1545 (4th Cir. 10/20/2011).
Tax Court wrote:UNITED STATES TAX COURT
WASHINGTON, DC 20217

JANIS J. WEYBREW,
Petitioner,
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent

Docket No. 14868-10 L.

ORDER AND DECISION

On November 26, 2010, respondent filed a motion for summary judgment and a motion for penalty under I.R.C. section 6673. On December 29, 2010, petitioner filed responses to respondent's motions.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) determined that petitioner filed a frivolous Federal income tax return for 2008 and assessed a $5,000 frivolous return penalty pursuant to I.R.C. section 6702(a). Petitioner failed to pay the penalty, and the IRS sent petitioner a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing. Petitioner timely requested a collection due process hearing and challenged the assessment of the frivolous return penalty. The settlement officer assigned to petitioner's case concluded in a notice of determination that the IRS validly assessed the frivolous return penalty pursuant to I.R.C. section 6702(a) and that collection activity should proceed. Petitioner then filed a petition with this Court challenging the underlying tax liability. This case is before the Court on respondent's Motion for Summary Judgment and respondent's Motion for Penalty under I.R.C. Section 6673. We have jurisdiction under I.R.C. section 6330(d) (1) to review a notice of determination where the underlying tax liability consists of a frivolous return penalty. See Callahan v. Commissioner, 130 T.C. 44, 48-49 (2008).

Petitioner filed with the IRS Form 1040, U.S. Income Tax Return, for 2008. Petitioner received from her employer a W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, that showed she earned wages of $52,537, but petitioner reported wages of $0 on her Form 1040. Petitioner attached to her 2008 tax return Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, on which she stated that "A 4852 substitutes for a W-2 when a 'payer has issued an incorrect Form W-2.' My payer incorrectly identified my private sector receipts as 'wages' using a W-2 when in fact I earned zero (0) 'wages' & engaged in no taxable activity."

Under I.R.C. section 6702, a $5,000 civil penalty may be assessed against a taxpayer if: (1) The taxpayer files a document that purports to be an income tax return; (2) the purported return lacks the information needed to judge the substantial correctness of the self-assessment or contains information indicating the self-assessment is substantially incorrect; and (3) the taxpayer's position is frivolous or demonstrates a desire (which appears on the purported return) to delay or impede the administration of Federal income tax laws. Petitioner filed an income tax return that contained information indicating that the self-assessment was substantially incorrect. Additionally, petitioner's claim that her private sector earnings are not taxable by the Federal government has long been considered a frivolous position. See Pabon v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1994-476. Accordingly, there are no material facts in dispute, and respondent is entitled to summary judgment as a matter of law.

I.R.C. section 6673 allows for the Court to impose a penalty on a taxpayer of up to $25,000 if the taxpayer's position in the proceeding is frivolous or groundless. At no point has petitioner asserted a legitimate argument as to how the IRS erred in assessing the frivolous return penalty or determining that collection activity should proceed. In addition to petitioner's frivolous argument that the Federal government cannot tax her private sector earnings, she argued throughout the administrative proceedings, in her petition, and in her response to respondent's motion for summary judgment that she is not a "person" as defined in I.R.C. section 6671(b). Petitioner advanced frivolous arguments despite being warned by respondent that her arguments were frivolous and that he would seek a penalty under I.R.C. section 6673 if petitioner continued to advance them. Because of petitioner's persistence in asserting frivolous arguments, a penalty under I.R.C. section 6673(a) (1) of $2,500 is appropriate. Upon due consideration and for cause, it is

ORDERED that respondent's motion for summary judgment, filed November 26, 2010, is granted, and this case is stricken for trial from the Winston-Salem, North Carolina, trial session of the Court. It is further

ORDERED that respondent's motion for penalty under I.R.C. section 6673, filed November 26, 2010, is granted. It is further

ORDERED and DECIDED that respondent may proceed with the collection activities as determined in the notice of determination concerning collection activities for the taxable year 2008 upon which this case is based; and

That petitioner shall pay to the United States a penalty in the amount of $2,500 under I.R.C. section 6673.

(Signed) Juan F. Vasquez
Judge

Entered: FEB 16 2011
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Hendrickson's Heroes: Janice J. Weybrew

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

You all realize, don't you, that since the Court refused to consider the merits of Weybrew's position in a full-scale trial, this is just more proof of how corrupt the courts are, and how afraid they are of the truth contained within CtC. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Weybrew's 2008 federal income tax was the subject of a separate Tax Court case, at docket # 5289-10. In a decision on March 23, 2011, Judge Vasquez ruled that there was a statutory deficiency of $12,100.00, of which $10,532.00 had been paid on April 15, 2009, leaving $1,568.00 unpaid. Judge Vasquez also ruled that Weybrew was liable for a penalty under section 6651(a)(1) (an "addition to tax" for failure to timely file the return) of $352.80, and a penalty under section 6651(a)(2) (half of one percent per month, for failure to timely pay) as well.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Um, if she's "not a person" the judge could order her spayed and taken to the pound.

Or maybe just euthanized.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

grixit wrote:Um, if she's "not a person" the judge could order her spayed and taken to the pound.
Do you microchip ID them?
"Wait a minute sarge. This one coming up as 25678937."
"She'll be a sovereign citizen then. Send her to the pound and see if she gets claimed."
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:Um, if she's "not a person" the judge could order her spayed and taken to the pound.

Or maybe just euthanized.
Well, Pete Hendrickson claimed he was "not a person" and ended up in the federal pen. So why would you want Weybrew to get off with a lighter sentence?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff