Michael Schlegel convicted

Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Michael Schlegel convicted

Post by Lambkin »

At the nexus of the MLM and detaxer scams...
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/he ... 06751.html
Michael A. Schlegel, 55, of Corcoran, cofounder of Nature Rich Inc., was found guilty in federal court in Minneapolis of three counts of tax evasion and three counts of failing to file tax returns.
“There is nothing that requires me to file an income tax return,” Schlegel said Thursday. “There is no law.”

Schlegel said he intends to appeal because “my attorney never allowed me to testify. If I had testified, we would’ve won. … I’m going to fight this to the end.”
(I assume the defendant is related to Jeffrey Schlegel, mentioned on this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1549)
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Michael Schlegel convicted

Post by notorial dissent »

Lambkin wrote:Schlegel said he intends to appeal because “my attorney never allowed me to testify. If I had testified, we would’ve won. … I’m going to fight this to the end.”
Famous and fatal last words if ever I've heard them.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Lambkin wrote:
Schlegel said he intends to appeal because “my attorney never allowed me to testify. If I had testified, we would’ve won. … I’m going to fight this to the end.”
The decision as to whether a criminal defendant testifies is not the lawyer's, it's the defendant's. The lawyer can try to talk a defendant out of it, but the defendant decides. I have even seen judges inquire of a non-testifying defendant (out of the presence of the jury, of course) whether the decision not to testify was his. As nd says, this is self-serving bullshit.

Schlegel called one witness - one John O'Neill Green. I thought I had seen that name before. Green is a lawyer, a former colleague of Tommy Cryer in the tax nonsense movement. I would really like to see a transcript of his testimony. Transcript or no, some nonsense got before the jury.

One good thing did come out of the trial - the govt's trial memo. Not only does it show that Schlegel's testimony would have made no conceivable difference, but it is a good primer on the legal issues likely to arise in a tax prosecution. It deals with Cheek, the relevance of prior bad conduct, the advice of counsel defense, the evidence which comes in to prove conspiracy (and therefore why that charge is a prosecutor's best friend), summary and expert testimony and more. It has a pro-govt bias - duh, it's a govt trial memo - but not outrageously so.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

I like "tax nonsense movement", will have to remember that for later use.

I'm sure the memo was somewhat biased towards the gov't but then from the sounds of it they didn't have to work too hard to prove their case either.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

wserra wrote:
Lambkin wrote:
The decision as to whether a criminal defendant testifies is not the lawyer's, it's the defendant's. The lawyer can try to talk a defendant out of it, but the defendant decides. I have even seen judges inquire of a non-testifying defendant (out of the presence of the jury, of course) whether the decision not to testify was his.
Yup, when I saw the "my attorney never allowed me" junk I thought "he better have an actual issue, 'cause that one won't survive 5 seconds after the government quotes the transcript."

Never mind any federal judge, I doubt there's a state court judge in the land who doesn't take a few minutes to make a crystal-clear record (sans jury) that the defendant fully understands the absolute right to testify. That no matter how strongly the lawyer may recommend not testifying, it's still solely the defendant's decision. That no one, lawyer or otherwise has tried to unduly influence or coerce them not to testify. Or offered them anything not to testify. Etc. Etc.

I guess the guy forgot being questioned closely by the judge about his decision. Which is done not just in the interest of a fair trial, but also to foreclose any possibility of success of an appeal based on after-the-fact claims and lies.

Maybe he thinks he'll be the first guy ever to try this trick. Could be true -- he's a scammer, and not a very bright one at that.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
notorial dissent

. wrote:I guess the guy forgot being questioned closely by the judge about his decision. Which is done not just in the interest of a fair trial, but also to foreclose any possibility of success of an appeal based on after-the-fact claims and lies.

Maybe he thinks he'll be the first guy ever to try this trick. Could be true -- he's a scammer, and not a very bright one at that.
He had his fingers crossed when he said "yes", so it doesn't count.

Maybe he's dumbern' a box of rocks, who knows? At any rate, like you say, about five minutes at most.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

I was under the impression that the right to testify on your own behalf was part of the standard orders a judge goes through when you elect to go to trial, jury or not. If you elect not to plea out or cut a deal. Even if you do plea or make a deal the judge still tells you that you had the right to testify, call witnesses, etc. and then asks again if you wish to whatever.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent

It is. Some people are just dumbern' rocks and don't listen or think(obviously, or they wouldn't be where they are to begin with), no real help for that.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

notorial dissent wrote:It is. Some people are just dumbern' rocks and don't listen or think(obviously, or they wouldn't be where they are to begin with), no real help for that.
I think in this case Schlegel was hoping that the targets of his rant were dumber than a box of rocks and would believe his tripe about not being "allowed" to testify by his attorney.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff